    error message but once I place the CD in the tray and rfeboor no worries
    except everything SLOWS down.

    Any ideas? Reinstall?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 7, 2005

  3. RE: Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    Whats the error? Thats the best place to start.

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 7, 2005
  4. RE: Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    Joesph,

    The actual message is:

    "Windows could not start becaue the following file is missing or currupt:
    <Windows root>\systems32]\ntoskernel.exe
    Please re-install a copy of the above file"

    I tried replacing the file, no dice

    Any ideas?

    Michael

    =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=, Jul 7, 2005
  5. This is from some one with a similar problem and the ntoskernel.exe issue:

    This is the correct answer to this problem. In my case I changed my boot.ini
    from:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

    to:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional x64
    Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 7, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    Why don't you provide some information about your configuration. Is x64 the
    only OS on your system? Do you have 1 or more drives and how are they
    partitioned? Are they SATA or IDE and what is your MOBO chipset. Did you
    F6 drivers when you installed.
    Have you tried to use the recovery console to rebuild your boot.ini using
    bootcfg /rebuild

    Maybe with some information someone can provide some guidance

    John Barnes, Jul 7, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Andre.

    The only change I see in those boot.ini files is changing the non-default OS
    from the first HD (rdisk(0)) to the third HD (rdisk(2)). So far, Michael
    has not told us if he has more than one HD. :>(

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 7, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

    R. C. White Guest

    Re: Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    Hi, Michael.

    As John Barnes said, we can't help without some information from you about
    your computer configuration.

    A good place to start troubleshooting this error is with this KB article:
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    Configuration Problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314477

    This and similar error messages usually mean that the file is right where it
    shoudl be and not corrupt, but something in the startup sequence is looking
    in the wrong place for it. Wherever it looks it finds something it doesn't
    expect, panics and gives that "What do I do now, Coach?" kind of error
    message. The fix is to find and correct the erroneous pointer, not the file
    itself.

    Give us the info John asked for and we probably can help.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 7, 2005
  9. Yes, I agree we need some more specifics, but I provided it just in case he
    does. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 7, 2005
  10. RE: Meant to Say CANNOT Boot without CD in TRAY

    How did you do the installation?

    Is this a dual boot installation, if so, which OS did you install last?

    Post your boot.ini so we can see what entries it has in it.

    Does the ntoskrnl.exe file actually exist if you boot the machine into
    recovery console and do a dir on the root drive? Does the boot.ini exist?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 25, 2005