    mike Guest

    When I try to boot up in XP, I get the Microsoft welcome screen, then
    it changes to a black blank screen and I cannot access anything at all.

    mike, Jan 3, 2005

  2. mike

    Phantom Guest

    Boot in safe mode, then restore to earlier time. Cause???

    Phantom, Jan 3, 2005

  3. mike

    mike Guest

    I tried safe mode but still get the same black blank screen with "Safe
    Mode" on the screen. Unable to access anything. I have connected
    another HDD, and I am able to access the unbootable HDD this way, so I
    know no data has been lost. It originally developed this fault when I
    tried a system restore.

    mike, Jan 3, 2005
  4. mike

    Noel Paton Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    >I tried safe mode but still get the same black blank screen with "Safe
    > Mode" on the screen. Unable to access anything. I have connected
    > another HDD, and I am able to access the unbootable HDD this way, so I
    > know no data has been lost. It originally developed this fault when I
    > tried a system restore.

    Boot to 'Last known Good Configuration'

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    A Happy Xmas, and a Merry New Year to everyone!

    Noel Paton, Jan 3, 2005
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    tried it......still the same.

    mike, Jan 3, 2005
  6. mike

    Noel Paton Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    > tried it......still the same.

    In that case, you may have to do a Repair Install - look here
    (make sure you read the Warnings!)

    Which SP do you have loaded?
    Which SP is your CD?

    Noel Paton, Jan 3, 2005
  7. mike

    mike Guest

    If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
    service packs installed.

    mike, Jan 3, 2005
  8. mike

    Noel Paton Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    > If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
    > service packs installed.

    No - a Repair Install is exactly that, A Repair
    You need to ensure that you have a 'proper' XP CD to hand, rather than a
    'Recovery Disk' - then follow Michael's instructions.

    Noel Paton, Jan 3, 2005
  9. mike

    Phantom Guest

    Repair option will not cause you to loose your data, will only overwrite
    your Windows files.

    Phantom, Jan 4, 2005
  10. mike

    Wanderer Guest

    "mike" <> wrote:

    >If I do a Repair Install, won't I lose all my data? I don't have any
    >service packs installed.

    I appreciate the link Mike. I've passed it to another who will be
    needing it. The only repair I've done on XP lost one or two key files
    for programs which ceased to work properly. The data files created in
    the programs were completely intact. No personal data loss whatsoever.

    Might need to re-install certain programs that tie themselves into the
    OS. There was no user data loss from the repair.

    Wanderer, Jan 5, 2005