Cannot boot in Safe Mode...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Phil, Sep 23, 2005.

  1. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Hi,

    As title says, I cannot boot in safe mode anymore.

    When I boot my PC normally it works fine, all the time.

    But since a couple of weeks, when I try to boot in safe mode I get a blank Screen!

    When I press F8, I get the usual menu...

    If choose Safe Mode it loads all files normally up to Mup.sys...

    Then it stays there for 10 to 15 sec. and then the screen becomes blank and nothing else happens

    It does the same thing when I choose 'Safe Mode with networking' or 'Safe Mode with command prompt'

    I'm able to boot in VGA mode & debugging Mode. The last known good configuration works too.

    I've also tried to modify my boot.ini file, adding /safeboot:minimal and I get the same result (blank screen)

    I've installed tree different images, took from the same machine since 2004 and the problem persist !

    I removed my memory sticks one by one... no change !!!

    Remove Hdds one by one... no change !!!

    I've tried with a fresh Windows XP installion on a new 40GB Hdd... no change !!!

    My system:

    AMD XP 1800+, 1.5GB ram (3 x 512), Asus mobo, GForce video card, 3 HDDs (2 x 80GB Maxtor + 1 x 200GB Western Digital)

    Windows XP Pro SP2.

    Didn't add nor modified any hardware since april 2005.

    Can someone help please...

    Phil

    Phil, Sep 23, 2005

  2. Phil

    Trax Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote:

    |>If choose Safe Mode it loads all files normally up to Mup.sys...
    |>
    |>Then it stays there for 10 to 15 sec. and then the screen becomes blank and nothing else happens
    |>
    |>It does the same thing when I choose 'Safe Mode with networking' or 'Safe Mode with command prompt'

    |>I'm able to boot in VGA mode & debugging Mode. The last known good configuration works too.

    |>I've also tried to modify my boot.ini file, adding /safeboot:minimal and I get the same result (blank screen)

    Got another video card you can try - or - next time you get into VGA
    mode change the settings of your screen resolution
    Start\run DESK.CPL <enter> settings.

    --
    http://www.hurricanetrack.com/

    Trax, Sep 23, 2005

  3. Phil

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in

    > When I boot my PC normally it works fine, all the time.
    >
    > But since a couple of weeks, when I try to boot in safe mode I get a
    > blank Screen!
    >

    > When I press F8, I get the usual menu...
    >
    > If choose Safe Mode it loads all files normally up to Mup.sys...

    Try removing any USB device.

    --
    fred

    fred-bloggs, Sep 23, 2005