    If this is not the right group to post this to, let me know which I should
    post to. Thanks.

    Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona, May 19, 2005

  2. Hello Derek,
    Hit F8 to choose Safe Mode.
    Choose the option to not automatically restart.
    Then try to boot.
    This should stop the reboot and display the error message so we can see
    what the error code is reporting.
    I suspect an undecorated mass storage driver inf.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: "Derek Ragona" <>
    >Subject: cannot boot after installing server 2003 64-bit
    >Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 13:40:38 -0500
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    >
    >On a new server, based on an intel se7520af2 server board with 8GB RAM, 2
    >Xeon CPU's, and using the onboard SCSI RAID, I get completely through the
    >server 2003 install fine, but when the system goes to boot for the first
    >time I see just the starting windows screen for a second, then the system
    >reboots. It will keep rebooting cyclically like this. I have tried

    turning
    >off HTT in the CPU's and adjusting the cache setting on the RAID array,

    but

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 20, 2005

  3. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Darrell,

    I tried safe mode, but to no avail. The last driver I see the ACPI driver.

    This server board doesn't really have any ACPI settings in the BIOS, so I
    can't turn it off. Is there any way to adjust the install to NOT load ACPI
    as part of the install? Or can I at install time turn off the reboot? Or
    can I boot the CD and change the rebooting option on the hard drive?

    -Derek

    Derek Ragona, May 20, 2005
  4. Hello Derek,
    Let's try again.
    Hit F8.
    On the Safe Mode Options screen, there is an option to not automatically
    restart the OS.
    Choose that selection. It's not a safe mode boot, it's a an option that
    will display the error message that is causing the auto-reboot of the OS.
    This allows us to capture what the error message is. We need the error
    message.

    64-bit machines have to be ACPI machines. There are no other options.
    Why would you want to turn off ACPI, we don't know what the error is?
    We don't have enough information about the problem yet.

    INF decorations still remain the most common cause for this with X64.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    >From: "Derek Ragona" <>

    <>
    >Subject: Re: cannot boot after installing server 2003 64-bit
    >Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:04:40 -0500
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    >
    >Darrell,
    >
    >I tried safe mode, but to no avail. The last driver I see the ACPI driver.
    >
    >This server board doesn't really have any ACPI settings in the BIOS, so I
    >can't turn it off. Is there any way to adjust the install to NOT load

    ACPI
    >as part of the install? Or can I at install time turn off the reboot?

    Or
    >can I boot the CD and change the rebooting option on the hard drive?
    >
    > -Derek
    >

    >""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello Derek,
    >> Hit F8 to choose Safe Mode.
    >> Choose the option to not automatically restart.
    >> Then try to boot.
    >> This should stop the reboot and display the error message so we can see
    >> what the error code is reporting.
    >> I suspect an undecorated mass storage driver inf.
    >> Thanks,
    >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    rights

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 20, 2005
  5. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Darrell,

    I guess I hadn't noticed that noreboot option. But it sure worked:
    I got the blue screen:

    Stop
    0x0000007B
    (0xFFFFFADF36A0F3C0,
    0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,
    0x0000000000000000,
    0x0000000000000000)

    With the ACPI I was just grasping at straws as that was the last driver I
    saw loaded. You suspect the disk driver which may be, because of the
    strange way the system installs. In the install I have to hit F6 for the
    RAID driver (it won't install otherwise), but then it doesn't like the
    driver I have because the install says the included driver is newer. So I
    use the included driver, it installs fine, but cannnot boot. Could it not
    be loading the driver, or loading it correctly on boot? Seems like the
    hardware detection isn't picking up the RAID correctly.

    Derek Ragona, May 21, 2005
  6. Derek Ragona

    Rick Guest

    This error, 0x0000007B, is the error received when the drivers loaded
    via floppy during install for SATA and/or RAID are not properly
    decorated. Possibly with outdated drivers, too. This error message has
    been the common message for this problem since RC1 back in December.

    Make sure you have the most recent drivers and that they are properly
    decorated.

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  7. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Rick,

    When I try to load the drivers from floppy it says they are older than what
    comes with Windows, so I use the option to use the Windows drivers. That
    works fine for the install, but then on the final reboot, it looks like the
    drivers are not loading.

    Do I need later drivers from Microsoft? I looked for them but didn't find
    any. Do I need to make a driver diskette using the included Windows
    drivers?

    If I do NOT use F6 and load the drivers, the RAID array is not seen by
    windows.

    -Derek

    Derek Ragona, May 21, 2005
  8. Derek Ragona

    Rick Guest

    Derek,

    Microsoft would not be the source for the drivers. LSI Logic would be
    the source. But I see the ones on the LSI site are version 1.10.02
    dated 08/09/04, so you would have to apply the decorations to them.

    Since the ones in the box don't seem to be working correctly, I would
    decorate the ones from LSI Logic and see if the system boots with them.

    http://www.lsilogic.com/downloads/selectDownload.do;jsessionid=61D901CECF54760447EA941997E6BF35

    (link may not work since it has a session id in it, but the first part
    of the URL is correct)

    If that doesn't resolve the problem, then you should contact LSI Logic
    and/or Intel.

    Rick

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  9. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Rick,

    Which drivers are you refering to at LSI? They don't seem to have a way to
    just get the drivers for this Motherboard, even though it is their hardware
    on it.

    -Derek

    Derek Ragona, May 21, 2005
  10. Derek Ragona

    Rick Guest

    According to the Intel Web site, your MB has the LSI53C1030 PCI-X to
    Dual-Channel Ultra320 SCSI Controller (I am assuming you are using this
    channel).

    If you go to: http://www.lsilogic.com/downloads/selectDownload.do and
    select LSI53C1030 in the first option that says "Select a Specific
    Product" and click <GO> it will take you to a page with the LSI53C1030
    drivers.

    However, I just read the "readme.txt" and, although on the driver page
    it says "32-bit and 64-bit drivers," the 64-bit is for IA64. And using
    Google, most of the links lead to Linux or Unix drivers for the 53C1030.

    It appears they don't have x64 drivers on their site. You definitely
    need to contact LSI and Intel about this!

    Rick

    Rick, May 21, 2005
  11. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Rick,

    Thanks for your help.

    But I am still puzzled that if the bundled windows driver works for the
    install, why can't I get it to load after the install. Is the install not
    64-bit? If the install is 64-bit, then the bundled driver should work fine.

    -Derek

    Derek Ragona, May 21, 2005
  12. Derek Ragona

    Derek Ragona Guest

    Rick,

    It turns out that while that chip is on the Motherboard, the drivers needed
    are for the:
    MegaRAID SCSI 320-2X

    The drivers for there are signed drivers for Windows 2003 64-bit and cover
    most of the Intel RAID cards.

    I loaded this driver and finally got the server to install and boot
    correctly. I will mention that in the install, I was still warned that
    these drivers are too old and the included driver should be used (which I
    know won't work), but I ignored that warning and used these drivers anyway.

    Thanks to all for their help. I will let LSI and Intel know that they
    should be updating their downloads so it is not such a scavenger hunt.

    -Derek

    Derek Ragona, May 22, 2005
  13. Derek Ragona

    Rick Guest

    Derek,

    Glad you got it working! I noticed that the LSI site does have an x64
    driver under that board, which has the same chip. The driver is from
    August 2004 but the .INF is updated with the required decorations.

    Rick

    Rick, May 22, 2005