    to the old drivers, it is still the same. Now I'm wondering if it was really
    the AP or the DHCP at the router. If I assign a static IP it connects but
    nothing works though.
    Andreas Yiangoullis, Jul 1, 2006

  2. Andreas Yiangoullis

    Kerry Brown Guest

    What firewall are you using?

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Jul 1, 2006

  3. WinXP SP2 + DLINK integrated FW

    Andreas Yiangoullis, Jul 1, 2006
  4. Andreas Yiangoullis

    Kerry Brown Guest

    You could try disabling the Windows firewall but that's unlikely to be the
    cause. Some 3rd party firewalls you need to configure to trust the subnet. I
    would suspect some problem with encryption. What type of encryption are you
    using? WEP? WPA? Make sure the settings are the same on both the computer
    and the AP. You may want to re-enter the keys on both ends to make sure they
    are right. If either one is using an ascii phrase to generate the key then
    disable that and enter the keys manually.

    --
    Kerry
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Kerry Brown, Jul 1, 2006
  5. Andreas Yiangoullis

    Guest

    On 1-Jul-2006, "Andreas Yiangoullis" <> wrote:

    > If I assign
    > >> a static IP it connects but nothing works though.

    Static addressing is the way to go. Router address is both
    the DNS server, and the Default Gateway, well in my case
    anyway.
    Have tried DLink kit, and like the magazine reviewers found
    that it's flaky, but I might just have been unlucky. I suspect
    DLink source from more than one vendor, but supply the
    same drivers for all versions of the product.
    Also make sure that you use the same address range
    like 10.0.0.nnn
    It may work if you are XP's Administrator, I had major
    problems with setting up internet connectivity for a
    User account.
    It too showed a connection, and the adapter counted packets,
    but no actual useable connection.
    , Jul 1, 2006
  6. "Andreas Yiangoullis" <> wrote in message
    > In my network I used to have a DLink wireless router (DI-624) and a DLINK
    > (DWL-2100AP). Because I had difficulties in switching between the 2
    > networks I sent the AP back for replacement as I thought it was deffective
    > (it might as well have been indeed).
    > Anyway, after that I was only using the wireless router which was working
    > flawlessly until I have installed all latest drivers fro HP as well as the
    > wireless configuration utility (all latest versions). The effect now is
    > that I connect to the network but it stays on status: (aquiring IP
    > address) which never ends. This is what I had with the Access point and
    > even if I roll-back to the old drivers, it is still the same. Now I'm
    > wondering if it was really the AP or the DHCP at the router. If I assign a
    > static IP it connects but nothing works though.

    It has been known to take 10 minutes for DHCP to assign an IP before. To be
    honest with you, in a home or small office situation, I find it more
    efficient to assign IP numbers to machines and fill in the DNS servers as
    well (assigning the DLink router's IP address in DNS will suffice). You
    don't have to worry about DHCP and your number is available to you even if
    the router is, for some reason, turned off thus meaning when the router is
    on again, it connects quickly. In your case it would connect MORE quickly
    assuming it can get a signal.

    One other thing to consider in your setup is that you don't have WEP or
    whatever turned on in the router when setting up or if it is already done,
    that you have the RIGHT encryption method and encryption key or passphrase
    installed at the computer. Also, if you are using MAC filtering, you wont
    get on or get assigned an IP address at all.
    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 2, 2006
  7. Andreas Yiangoullis

    kbsartain

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Try setting 802.11b preamble to "Long" only

    I had the exact same issue on an XP laptop.

    In the NIC properties, forcing the NIC and the access point to use "Long" only instead of "Short and Long" fixed the issue.

    I did not try other combinations after that, so maybe forcing both sides to "Short and Long" would have worked also.

    BTW: other posts suggest changing encryption settings, but after several hours of trying, I got nowhere with that. Also, setting the IP manually would not have worked in this case. The connection was dropped which was causing DHCP to try again.. it wasn't directly a problem with DHCP.
    kbsartain, Jun 9, 2007