cannot access yahoo mail since few days

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by P, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. P

    P Guest

    Since past 5 days I cannot access my Yahoo email account through the web
    based
    interface(https://login.yahoo.com/config/logi...=&pkg=&stepid=i&&.done=http://mail.yahoo.com).
    I cleared my browser cache and tried

    reloading the page several times, but it still does not work. After I enter
    my yahoo user id and password I get the below message in Firefox

    Server not found

    Firefox can't find the server at us.f903.mail.yahoo.com.

    * Check the address for typing errors such as
    ww.example.com instead of
    www.example.com

    * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
    make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

    The URL at that point is
    http://us.f903.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=89q3f9ffb1dp5
    It seems something is erring during the authentication process, but am not
    sure.
    A refresh does not help, nor does clicking the Try Again button present
    after the message in Firefox.
    This occurs in Internet Explorer browser(version 6.0) also. The difference
    is in IE, the page not found message comes. Everything was fine before some
    5 days. I did not install anything and I use an updated
    antivirus(Symantec), Zonealarm firewall as well as spyware tools like
    Adware, Spybot search and destroy regularly after updating their
    definitions weekly. Did a quick search and found Firefox was having some
    issues(http://news.softpedia.com/news/Firefox-Firebug-Incompatible-With-The-New-Yahoo-Mail-8
    2379.shtml) so installed Firebug to fix it, but am still having the
    problem. The event viewer log does not show anything strange and the start
    up programs in registry are the typical ones. The task manager also does
    not have any peculiar processes running.

    Running a Win 2k with Service Pack 4 OS. Aware that it is a old OS no
    longer supported by Microsoft, but don't think that might be the cause as
    everything was fine before 5 days.

    ISP is BSNL(http://www.bsnl.co.in/), located in India and on a DSL
    connection, in case it matters. BSNL is claiming their service is fine as
    other users can access their Yahoo mail accounts.

    Would appreciate any suggestions/advice.
    Thanks
    P, Apr 3, 2008

  2. P

    Mike Easter Guest

    P wrote:
    > Since past 5 days I cannot access my Yahoo email account through the
    > web based interface

    You have to manage your cookies properly:

    http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/changing_users/edit-05.html How
    can I view my information from a different computer? - To view your
    information from a different location or a different computer, log in
    with the same Yahoo! ID and password that you used to create your
    account. You don't need to re-register. - Be aware that when you log in,
    a cookie is set on your computer. After the cookie is set, you don't
    need to log in again. - If you do not want a cookie stored on this
    computer, just click "Sign Out" at the end of your session to clear the
    login cookie from the computer's hard drive.

    > Firefox can't find the server at us.f903.mail.yahoo.com.

    That address resolves
    Canonical name: f903.mail.vip.mud.yahoo.com
    Aliases:
    us.f903.mail.yahoo.com
    Addresses:
    216.252.100.207

    Initiating server query ...
    Looking up IP address for domain: f903.mail.vip.mud.yahoo.com
    The IP address for the domain is: 216.252.100.207
    Connecting to the server on standard HTTP port: 80
    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    <snip>

    > The URL at that point is
    > http://us.f903.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.rand=89q3f9ffb1dp5

    Without a yahoo cookie, my browser is redirected by that address

    > Did a quick search and found Firefox was
    > having some issues

    That softpedia described issue is that /if/ people have Firefox +
    Firebug early v. there is a conflict. Not that you should install
    firebug to solve a yahoo mail problem. The link sez if you are using
    firebug plugin to upgrade it to 1.1 beta. If I weren't using firebug, I
    would uninstall it.

    If you want to eliminate a browser/cookie related issue from the
    troubleshooting equation, use a simple tool like IDServe to connect to
    the webserver as I did above http://www.grc.com/id/idserve.htm "ID
    Serve", a simple, free, small (26 kbytes), and fast, general purpose
    Internet server identification utility.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 3, 2008

  3. P

    VanguardLH Guest

    "P" <> wrote in message

    > Since past 5 days I cannot access my Yahoo email account through the
    > web
    > based interface

    (https://login.yahoo.com/config/logi...=&pkg=&stepid=i&&.done=http://mail.yahoo.com).

    > Server not found
    >
    > Firefox can't find the server at us.f903.mail.yahoo.com.

    <snip>

    So how do you know that specific navigation path is usable anymore?
    Host names change. Navigation routes change for load balancing,
    system management, or whatever. Did you try starting at
    http://mail.yahoo.com and then let Yahoo Mail figure out what
    navigation path it wanted to use for you?

    Have you tried purging your browser's file and cookie caches?
    VanguardLH, Apr 3, 2008
  4. P

    Someone Guest

    Thanks for the reply.
    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 11:11:28 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    >> Since past 5 days I cannot access my Yahoo email account through the
    >> web based interface

    > You have to manage your cookies properly:

    Well, why do I have to start managing my cookies manually now when all was
    fine before some 5 days with Yahoo/Firefox managing it? I did not change
    any cookie settings.
    > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/edit/changing_users/edit-05.html How
    > can I view my information from a different computer? - To view your
    > information from a different location or a different computer, log in
    > with the same Yahoo! ID and password that you used to create your
    > account. You don't need to re-register. - Be aware that when you log in,
    > a cookie is set on your computer. After the cookie is set, you don't
    > need to log in again. - If you do not want a cookie stored on this
    > computer, just click "Sign Out" at the end of your session to clear the
    > login cookie from the computer's hard drive.

    I always sign out at the end of each session.

    I did that and here is what I got for the URL http://mail.yahoo.com/

    [Connected] Requesting the server's default page.
    The server returned the following response headers:
    HTTP/1.1 302 Found
    Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 03:53:26 GMT
    Set-Cookie: B=a9ta9593vb9hm&b=3&s=1s; expires=Tue, 02-Jun-2037 20:00:00
    GMT; path=/; domain=.yahoo.com
    P3P: policyref="http://p3p.yahoo.com/w3c/p3p.xml", CP="CAO DSP COR CUR ADM
    DEV TAI PSA PSD IVAi IVDi CONi TELo OTPi OUR DELi SAMi OTRi UNRi PUBi IND
    PHY ONL UNI PUR FIN COM NAV INT DEM CNT STA POL HEA PRE GOV"
    Location: https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym
    Cache-Control: private
    Pragma: no-cache
    Expires: Thu, 05 Jan 1995 22:00:00 GMT
    Connection: close
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    The server's response did not contain the expected 'Server:' header to
    identify itself. Therefore, server's identity can not be determined.

    The expires date of Jan 5, 1995 seems puzzling to me.
    Someone, Apr 4, 2008
  5. P

    Someone Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:55:14 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    >> Since past 5 days I cannot access my Yahoo email account through the
    >> web
    >> based interface

    > (https://login.yahoo.com/config/logi...=&pkg=&stepid=i&&.done=http://mail.yahoo.com).
    >>
    >> Server not found
    >>
    >> Firefox can't find the server at us.f903.mail.yahoo.com.

    > <snip>
    >
    > So how do you know that specific navigation path is usable anymore?
    > Host names change. Navigation routes change for load balancing,
    > system management, or whatever. Did you try starting at
    > http://mail.yahoo.com and then let Yahoo Mail figure out what
    > navigation path it wanted to use for you?

    Naturally, that is(http://mail.yahoo.com) what I always use which then
    directs me to https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?&.src=ym
    I am redirected from the http://mail.yahoo.com link to the longer
    login.yahoo.com link

    > Have you tried purging your browser's file and cookie caches?

    Yes, but that does not help either. But, why would a browser file and
    cookie cache suddenly cause logging in issues when it was fine before some
    5 days
    Someone, Apr 4, 2008
  6. P

    JANA Guest

    A common cause is that in the Security section of the browser's
    properties, the cookies may be set for too high a rejection.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Apr 4, 2008
  7. P

    P Guest

    Thanks for your reply.
    On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:46:30 -0400, JANA wrote:

    > A common cause is that in the Security section of the browser's
    > properties, the cookies may be set for too high a rejection.

    Perhaps, but if I did not modify any browser settings or install anything
    why should this occur suddenly?

    I cleared my browser cache and all cookies but that does not help.
    P, Apr 4, 2008
  8. P

    Guest

    Sometimes when I have trouble with Yahoo!, either with Mail or other
    services, first, I reset my Yahoo! cookie by making sure I'm signed
    off from both the web site and the messenger, and then signing in to
    Yahoo! fon the main yahoo.com page.

    This has always worked to straighten out a cookie mess for me,
    especially when I'm signed in on my browser/toolbar/mail on one
    account and want to use Messenger/Phone on a separate account.

    I think a Yahoo! employee in a support call when I had Y! Premium
    features gave me this tidbit of info.

    Also posted at http://groups.google.com/group/yahooalphamail

    Y.A.M.

    , Apr 9, 2008