Cannot Access Work Group

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by John Butler, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    I have a two computer comprising desktop/laptop>>internet). [Hardware is
    Netgear Wireless Router WNR834B > Cable Modem]. The name of the workgroup is
    WORKGROUP.
    Simple file sharing is enabled on computers and network permissions enabled
    in the security properties of the
    All of this which has been working OK for a month. This morning after
    starting the Desktop and laptop,both computers could access the internet OK
    and the laptop could see and access the shared files on the desktop.
    In network places the desktop could only see (and access) the designated
    shared files on its own system disk: no laptop files are present. When I
    attempt to view workgroup computers I get this error message
    Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if
    you have access permissions.
    The network name cannot be found.

    I have checked all the permissions and they seem to be OK, also tried
    closing down, switching off and restarting the total system but the problem
    remains

    How can I troubleshoot this problem? Is it software on the server or has the
    new Netgear router gone wrong?

    John Butler, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Hi
    Not sure what is wrong, but it is fair to say that 99.55% it has nothing to
    do with the Router.
    May be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 3, 2006

  3. John Butler

    John Butler Guest

    Hi Jack

    Thanks for your help. You were right to think that there was no hardware
    error in the
    Netgear Wireless Router WNR8. After checking through all the settings and
    tips given in
    your links I discovered that following an autoupdate download Windows had
    changed from
    running the router access as Netware wireless network to a Windows managed
    wireless network.
    So the network was present but not visible to desktop whereas the laptop,
    which has Windows AutoUpdates
    turned off could still see the network and access desktop.
    Weird!
    I reconfigured the wireless network to be managed by Netgear and it works OK
    both ways.

    Thanks for your help.

    John

    John Butler, Dec 4, 2006