    share folders between the two XP's.

    Can anyone provide me with step by step instructions on how to set up each
    computer (preferred) or links where I might find instructions? Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaWE=?=, Feb 17, 2007

  2. Hi
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 18, 2007

  3. Jack, maybe you can help me. pls xcuse the too-lengthy description:

    I can’t get file and printer sharing to work on my wifi lan. It used to
    work; some unknown thing happened and now it doesn’t work.

    Running Windows XP Home on all three computers. The file attributes are set
    to share with remote users (what ms calls "level 4"); the firewall is set
    with “printing and file sharing†as an exception; the computer names and the
    network name is the same on all three computers on the network; I’ve run the
    network set-up wizard again on all three computers, just to see if that would
    help; I’ve followed every step in the windows diagnostic and it doesn’t help.
    The network works in the sense that all three computers are seen; all three
    can access email and the web through the router that’s the center of the
    network; it’s just that the file and printer sharing doesn’t work.

    In the latest incarnation of the problem, the remote seeker is asked to
    authenticate himself with a password. The only identity offered is “guestâ€
    Of course “guest†never has a password; I think it’s impossible. By using
    the “map the network†tool, it’s possible to change the identity that pops
    up; I’ve done that, changed it to one of the identities on the target
    computer, put in the password for that identity, but it’s not recognized.

    The only thing I can find on the Microsoft knowledge base is: In almost the
    last sentence of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/EN-US/ :

    Remote users cannot authenticate by using an account that has a
    blank password. This authentication is configured separately.

    Seems to me I’ve “configured it separately†by the “map the network†route,
    but clearly, whatever I’ve done has not worked.

    So – can you help me access file sharing on a network that works in other
    ways but not that?

    Joel Bergsman

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVyZ3N5?=, Feb 18, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljaWE=?=

    Jim Guest

    "Bergsy" <> wrote in message
    > Jack, maybe you can help me. pls xcuse the too-lengthy description:
    >
    > I can't get file and printer sharing to work on my wifi lan. It used to
    > work; some unknown thing happened and now it doesn't work.
    >
    > Running Windows XP Home on all three computers. The file attributes are
    > set
    > to share with remote users (what ms calls "level 4"); the firewall is set
    > with "printing and file sharing" as an exception; the computer names and
    > the
    > network name is the same on all three computers on the network; I've run
    > the
    > network set-up wizard again on all three computers, just to see if that
    > would
    > help; I've followed every step in the windows diagnostic and it doesn't
    > help.
    > The network works in the sense that all three computers are seen; all
    > three
    > can access email and the web through the router that's the center of the
    > network; it's just that the file and printer sharing doesn't work.
    >
    > In the latest incarnation of the problem, the remote seeker is asked to
    > authenticate himself with a password. The only identity offered is
    > "guest"
    > Of course "guest" never has a password; I think it's impossible. By using
    > the "map the network" tool, it's possible to change the identity that pops
    > up; I've done that, changed it to one of the identities on the target
    > computer, put in the password for that identity, but it's not recognized.

    It take it from this that you are using guest authentication. It is correct
    that the installation of XP creates a "guest" account which has no password.
    However, it is by no means correct that this account can never have a
    password. Any member of the administrators group can set a password for
    this account. Furthermore, you should rename the guest account; not having
    a password creates a security hole.
    > The only thing I can find on the Microsoft knowledge base is: In almost
    > the
    > last sentence of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304040/EN-US/ :
    >
    > Remote users cannot authenticate by using an account that has a
    > blank password. This authentication is configured separately.
    >
    > Seems to me I've "configured it separately" by the "map the network"
    > route,
    > but clearly, whatever I've done has not worked.
    >
    > So - can you help me access file sharing on a network that works in other
    > ways but not that?
    >
    > Joel Bergsman

    See if setting a password for the guest account solves your problem.
    Jim

    Jim, Feb 18, 2007
  5. thanks Jim but that doesn't work -- the 'user accounts' thingie lets me
    change passwords on all established accounts except "guest" -- the only
    options it offers for "guest" are to change the picture or close the account
    (means not having it appear on the log-in page).

    anyhow, i tried accessing from the remote computer using an account name on
    the target computer that does have a password, and that didn't work either --
    the password was not recognized.

    I think i'm going to uninstall and reinstall the network from scratch.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVyZ3N5?=, Feb 18, 2007