Cannot access other computer!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Sep 2, 2004.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    My question involves a wireless network, but since the question might also
    apply to networks in general, I am posting it to the general network NG as
    well.

    I have two laptops, each with a PC card wireless card. I have successfully
    (I think) created an ad hoc wireless connection between them. They both have
    the same SSID, the "Wireless Network Connection" icon shows that they are
    connected with excellent signal strength, etc. There is no WEP enabled, no
    security.

    I set up "Internet Connection Sharing", although I will not actually use
    that, in case it is necessary. (I only have a dial-up connection, each
    laptop has its built-in modem, there is no reason I would want to connect
    one through the other's connection.)

    What I do wish to be able to do is to transfer files between the two
    computers wirelessly. I cannot seem to be able to get that to work.

    Both computers run Windows XP Pro. One has been updated to SP2, the other is
    running SP1, with all the latest patches other than SP2. I have Windows
    Firewall turned off (while trying to set this up) on the SP computer, and
    the anti-virus programs turned off on both.

    On the root drives of both computers, file-sharing is enabled. Simple file
    sharing is enabled on both computers.

    When I open up "My Network Places" on either computer, I only see that
    computer on it, not the other computer. If I click "Entire Network", then
    "Microsoft Windows Network", then "Workgroup", on one of the computers I
    still only see that same computer, not the other one. When I do that on the
    other one, after clicking "Workgroup", I get an error message: "Workgroup is
    not accessible.......The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
    available".

    If I click on "Map Network Drives", I cannot see the other computer's drive
    to be mapped, from either computer.

    I have searched the web a lot to try to find a solution for this, the
    Microsoft Knowledge Base, etc., tried different things, nothing has worked.

    I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could help with this problem.
    Thank you.

    MS, Sep 2, 2004

  2. MS

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:57:17 -0700, " MS" <> wrote:

    >My question involves a wireless network, but since the question might also
    >apply to networks in general, I am posting it to the general network NG as
    >well.
    >
    >I have two laptops, each with a PC card wireless card. I have successfully
    >(I think) created an ad hoc wireless connection between them. They both have
    >the same SSID, the "Wireless Network Connection" icon shows that they are
    >connected with excellent signal strength, etc. There is no WEP enabled, no
    >security.
    >
    >I set up "Internet Connection Sharing", although I will not actually use
    >that, in case it is necessary. (I only have a dial-up connection, each
    >laptop has its built-in modem, there is no reason I would want to connect
    >one through the other's connection.)
    >
    >What I do wish to be able to do is to transfer files between the two
    >computers wirelessly. I cannot seem to be able to get that to work.
    >
    >Both computers run Windows XP Pro. One has been updated to SP2, the other is
    >running SP1, with all the latest patches other than SP2. I have Windows
    >Firewall turned off (while trying to set this up) on the SP computer, and
    >the anti-virus programs turned off on both.
    >
    >On the root drives of both computers, file-sharing is enabled. Simple file
    >sharing is enabled on both computers.
    >
    >When I open up "My Network Places" on either computer, I only see that
    >computer on it, not the other computer. If I click "Entire Network", then
    >"Microsoft Windows Network", then "Workgroup", on one of the computers I
    >still only see that same computer, not the other one. When I do that on the
    >other one, after clicking "Workgroup", I get an error message: "Workgroup is
    >not accessible.......The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently
    >available".
    >
    >If I click on "Map Network Drives", I cannot see the other computer's drive
    >to be mapped, from either computer.
    >
    >I have searched the web a lot to try to find a solution for this, the
    >Microsoft Knowledge Base, etc., tried different things, nothing has worked.
    >
    >I would greatly appreciate it if someone here could help with this problem.
    >Thank you.

    Start by verifying that you do have connectivity between the two. Can you ping
    each from the other? By name and by ip address? If not, exactly what error
    (provide text please) do you get when pinging?

    Many wireless cards report "excellent signal strength" when the total "signal"
    includes a lot of noise. Have you tried other channels on the wireless cards?
    What security features are enabled?

    Are you running both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing
    for Microsoft Networks (Local Area Connection - Properties), on each computer?
    Do you have shares setup on each?

    Are you running NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP
    - Properties - Advanced - WINS) on each computer?

    Make sure the browser service is running on each computer. Control Panel -
    Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser service is
    started.

    If, in fact, you have connectivity (successful pings), and all necessary
    protocols and services, how about shares visibility? From each computer (use
    actual name / address of each computer as appropriate):
    Start - Run then:
    1) \\ThisComputerByName
    2) \\ThisComputerByIPAddress
    3) \\OtherComputerByName
    4) \\OtherComputerByIPAddress
    Report visibility of shares / exact error displayed in each test (8 tests
    total).

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2004

  3. MS

    MS Guest

    Thank you, Chuck,

    Using your checklist, I got it working. I'll explain a little more.

    Yes, I was able to successfully ping the other, still when I couldn't see
    the other's drive.

    Yes, I was running both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer
    Sharing
    for Microsoft Networks, as well as several others. (Is there a list
    somewhere, of which of these protocols one should have running for basic
    networking. Could having protocols one doesn't need running all the time be
    a resource drain?)

    As mentioned, I did have sharing set up on the root directory (and all
    subdirectories) of both drives.

    The "Computer Browser" service was running on one, but not the other. I just
    checked this now, however, after I already was able to see the shared drive,
    so I don't think the fact that one computer didn't have it running caused
    the problem, as later the problem was solved, and that computer was still
    not running that service (set to manual). I started it now though, and set
    it to "Automatic", just in case.

    No, I did not have "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" selected. The default selection
    there is otherwise. I made the change you suggested. (Curious though, how
    most people would know to do that. The default is otherwise, it is in an
    obscure place, I didn't see any mention of it in any of my searching of
    networking guides on the web, the Microsoft Knowledge Base, etc. If that
    setting is necessary to see the files on a connected network computer, how
    would most people know to do that? Why is the default setting otherwise?
    Anyhow, it worked for me.

    Also, in looking at my protocols, I figured (although I really don't know
    anything about these protocols), that if "NetBios over TCP/IP" is selected,
    that all the protocols with Netbios in the name probably should be selected.
    On one of the two computers NWLink NetBIOS was checked, but not "NWLink
    IPX/SPX NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol". I checked that one also. On
    the other computer neither of those two protocols were selected, and I
    selected both. I don't know if selecting those protocols had anything to do
    with getting the sharing to work, or whether only the change discussed in
    the preceding paragraph was necessary. As I discussed further up, which
    protocols are necessary for most networking? Of course "Client for Microsoft
    Networks", and "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks", and
    "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)". But how about "Microsoft TCP/IP version 6"? (I
    have it selected, but don't understand how it differs or adds to the other
    TCP/IP.) How about "QoS Packet Scheduler"? (I have it selected, but haven't
    the slightest idea what it is.) And as I mentioned, those two NWLink
    protocols, which I just selected due to them having NetBIOS in the name.

    Therefore--what made the sharing work on my setup--the change to "NetBIOS
    over TCP/IP", as you suggested. Perhaps also the addition of the two NWLink
    protocols with NetBIOS in the name, but I really don't know if that had
    anything to do with it.

    Thanks again for your suggestions, which succeeded when no other guides did.
    Furhter clarification would be interesting.

    MS, Sep 3, 2004
  4. MS

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 16:22:32 -0700, " MS" <> wrote:

> [...]
    >> TCP/IP
    >> - Properties - Advanced - WINS) on each computer?
    >>
    >> Make sure the browser service is running on each computer. Control
    >> Panel -
    >> Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser service
    >> is
    >> started.
    >>
    >> If, in fact, you have connectivity (successful pings), and all necessary
    >> protocols and services, how about shares visibility? From each computer
    >> (use
    >> actual name / address of each computer as appropriate):
    >> Start - Run then:
    >> 1) \\ThisComputerByName
    >> 2) \\ThisComputerByIPAddress
    >> 3) \\OtherComputerByName
    >> 4) \\OtherComputerByIPAddress
    >> Report visibility of shares / exact error displayed in each test (8 tests

    You make many excellent points. Microsoft provides much documentation
    prescribing much of what you've done (not all). But finding the answers to your
    problems, in their documentation, is sometimes like looking for a diamond in a
    coal mine - with no lights.

    Here are three websites with useful tutorials on file sharing, and other issues:
    http://www.cablesense.com/
    http://www.homenethelp.com/
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

    I, personally, have only the following items in my LAN Properties list:
    1) Client for Microsoft Networks (the client in file sharing).
    2) File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks (the server in file sharing)
    3) QoS Packet Scheduler.
    4) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
    And I have NetBIOS Over TCP/IP enabled under Advanced TCP/IP Settings - WINS.

    Here is the download for the Microsoft reference document about file sharing:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=87c0a6db-aef8-4bef-925e-7ac9be791028&DisplayLang=en>

    I DO NOT recommend any other protocols. Specifically not Netbeui nor NWLink
    (IPX/SPX). All they do is confuse the issue. If your file sharing is now
    working, fine, but the fact is you will be better off doing without either of
    those components. You do not need either of those to make file sharing work
    properly. And excess protocols / services are indeed a resource drain.

    IPV6 is needed if you're going to access net resources that are configured with
    IPV6 addresses. And if your network to those resources supports IPV6. But
    currently it causes problems with normal IP services, such as file sharing
    (NBT). So the general advice is to remove it, when file sharing and general
    internet use is important.

    You don't even need the Browser service running, to have file sharing work. But
    you do, if you are going to start your file sharing from Network Neighborhood.
    Here is a good discussion about the Browser subsystem:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winntas/deploy/prodspecs/ntbrowse.mspx>

    These forums are one place where you find the answers, when official
    documentation fails you. And when you have the answers, this is one place where
    you can provide them. Nobody gets paid money to post here - but we all gain
    knowledge.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 3, 2004
  5. MS

    MS Guest

    Thanks again, for sharing your knowledge.

    "Chuck" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>>
    >>> Many wireless cards report "excellent signal strength" when the total
    >>> "signal"
    >>> includes a lot of noise. Have you tried other channels on the wireless
    >>> cards?
    >>> What security features are enabled?
    >>>
    >>> Are you running both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer
    >>> Sharing
    >>> for Microsoft Networks (Local Area Connection - Properties), on each
    >>> computer?
    >>> Do you have shares setup on each?
    >>>
    >>> Are you running NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection -
    >>> Properties -
    >>> TCP/IP
    >>> - Properties - Advanced - WINS) on each computer?
    >>>
    >>> Make sure the browser service is running on each computer. Control
    >>> Panel -
    >>> Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser
    >>> is

    MS, Sep 3, 2004