    that aren't right.

    Robert
    -------
    Calgacus, Mar 24, 2005

  2. You'll need to include some more info. What's the IP addressing scheme that
    you're using? DHCP from the router? Static? Open a command prompt type in
    ipconfig /all and paste the results back here. Get IP info (address, mask,
    gateway) from router and paste in here as well.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWI=?=, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Calgacus

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The first step is to ascertain that you have a functional Wireless
    connection.

    Unfortunately seeing a Good signal or seeing the name of your device in the
    Wireless Properties, or the word Connected, does not mean that you have a
    working connection.

    Working connection would mean that a least you can log to the Router's Menus
    system and browse them, or you can connect and exchange info with another
    computer on the Network, or you can browse the Internet. If none of the
    three is working it most likely you do not have a Functional Wireless
    Connection.

    Wireless - Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Mar 25, 2005
  4. Calgacus

    Pete Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:23:00 -0500, "Jack" <>
    wrote:

    >Wireless - Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
    >
    >Wireless - Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

    Thanks for these links. Very informative. I had no idea that WEP/WPA can
    cause signal drops. I had one today, which has thankfully not occurred again
    yet, and could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

    I have a Linksys WAP11 and Linksys WUSB11 adapter. My main pc is in one room
    across a small hall from my back storage room which contains a server, the
    WAP11 and a Linksys BEFSR41 connected to a cable modem. I have WEP set to
    128 bits and MAC filtering turned on. I'm sure the WAP11 cannot do WPA. :(

    It all works very well (touches wood) but I was intrigued by why the signal
    goes from 'good' to 'very good' periodically.

    Guess I'll have to keep an eye on my 'available networks' from now on.

    Thanks again for links.

    Pete.
    --
    Fortune says :