Cannot access external network addresses

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paul Lennon, Jul 3, 2007.

  1. Paul Lennon

    Paul Lennon Guest

    Hi,

    I have a wireless enabled laptop that I have use to surf the web
    wirelessly for the past two years. Last week I came home from work, the
    laptop connected to the network but I could not reach Google or my ISP.
    The network states that it is connected, 54Mb, excellent strength.
    IPCONFIG shows that I have a correct network and the DNS and gateway
    looks fine. I have several other machines here at home and they all surf
    the web just fine. The IPCONFIG information is the same except for the
    IP. If I connect to my router with a wire, I can surf the web again.
    Strange. I turned the Windows firewall off and I still can't connect.

    I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend a setting to check.
    I tried searching the web, but it is hard to identify keywords fro this
    problem.

    Thanks for your help.

    Paul

    XP Pro SP2 32-bit
    Home network

    Paul Lennon, Jul 3, 2007

  2. On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:49:42 -0400, Paul Lennon <_NOSPAM>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a wireless enabled laptop that I have use to surf the web
    >wirelessly for the past two years. Last week I came home from work, the
    >laptop connected to the network but I could not reach Google or my ISP.
    >The network states that it is connected, 54Mb, excellent strength.
    >IPCONFIG shows that I have a correct network and the DNS and gateway
    >looks fine. I have several other machines here at home and they all surf
    >the web just fine. The IPCONFIG information is the same except for the
    >IP. If I connect to my router with a wire, I can surf the web again.
    >Strange. I turned the Windows firewall off and I still can't connect.
    >
    >I was hoping that someone might be able to recommend a setting to check.
    >I tried searching the web, but it is hard to identify keywords fro this
    >problem.
    >
    >Thanks for your help.
    >
    >Paul
    >
    >XP Pro SP2 32-bit
    >Home network

    Hi Paul,

    Compare the MTU setting for Ethernet vs WiFi on this computer, and for other
    computers.
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html>
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/determining-mtu-to-single-server.html

    --
    Cheers,
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/

    Chuck [MVP - Windows Networking], Jul 4, 2007

  3. Hi
    Coud be some trouble with the TCP/IP stack or the Browser.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 4, 2007