Cannot access certain websites

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SidKnee, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    I originally had some malware on my computer which I have now removed( I
    hope). However I cannot access certain sites especially secure websites. I
    keep getting the following error message:

    QUOTE
    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be
    experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser
    settings.

    Please try the following:
    Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    If To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click
    Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings
    should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator
    or Internet service provider (ISP).
    If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine
    your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then
    click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have
    installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings
    can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On
    the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL
    2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

    Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer
    UNQUOTE

    Can anyone tell me what the problem may still be and how I can resolve?

    Sid

    SidKnee, Dec 2, 2004

  2. SidKnee

    Franklin Guest

    Do you have sp2 installed?

    Franklin, Dec 2, 2004

  3. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    "Franklin" <> wrote > Do you have sp2 installed?

    I may have how do I check this?

    Sid

    SidKnee, Dec 2, 2004
  4. SidKnee

    °Mike° Guest

    Try the LSP fix:

    LSP-Fix (fixes Winsock 2 settings)
    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:53:25 GMT, in
    <F1Nrd.1477$>
    SidKnee scrawled:

    >I originally had some malware on my computer which I have now removed( I
    >hope). However I cannot access certain sites especially secure websites. I
    >keep getting the following error message:
    >
    >QUOTE
    >The page cannot be displayed

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 2, 2004
  5. SidKnee

    Hammerer Guest

    "SidKnee" <> wrote in message

    > "Franklin" <> wrote > Do you have sp2

    installed?

    > I may have how do I check this?

    I think you should just give up this whole internet thing, Sid. It's for the
    best.

    Hammerer, Dec 2, 2004
  6. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    "Hammerer" <> wrote >
    > I think you should just give up this whole internet thing, Sid. It's for

    the
    > best.

    Oooh I wanna cry, pls help someone.

    Sid

    SidKnee, Dec 3, 2004
  7. SidKnee

    SidKnee Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    >Mike

    DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???

    MSWSOC.DLL
    WINRNR.DLL
    RSVPSP.DLL

    ?
    sID

    SidKnee, Dec 3, 2004
  8. SidKnee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:21:42 GMT, in
    <qkOrd.1635$>
    SidKnee scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    >>

    >>Mike

    >DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???
    >
    >MSWSOC.DLL
    >WINRNR.DLL
    >RSVPSP.DLL
    >
    >?
    >sID

    NO! Those are valid system files (it's mswsock.dll, by
    the way). If LSPFix identified any wayward files, it would
    have placed them in the 'Remove' list. Leave things as
    they are, if those are the only three files listed.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  9. SidKnee

    Hammerer Guest

    "SidKnee" <> wrote in message

    > DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???
    > MSWSOC.DLL
    > WINRNR.DLL
    > RSVPSP.DLL

    Jesus! Sid - you're a danger to yourself!

    Hammerer, Dec 3, 2004
  10. SidKnee

    Jay Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:21:42 GMT, in
    > <qkOrd.1635$>
    > SidKnee scrawled:
    >

    >>"°Mike°" <> wrote > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    >>>

    >>>Mike

    >>DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???
    >>
    >>MSWSOC.DLL
    >>WINRNR.DLL
    >>RSVPSP.DLL
    >>
    >>?
    >>sID

    > NO! Those are valid system files (it's mswsock.dll, by
    > the way). If LSPFix identified any wayward files, it would
    > have placed them in the 'Remove' list. Leave things as
    > they are, if those are the only three files listed.
    >
    > --
    > Basic computer maintenance

    Would it be safe to assume Sid accidentally deleted the wrong DLL and is now
    sitting at a 'Invalid System Disk' prompt?

    Jay

    Jay, Dec 3, 2004
  11. SidKnee

    Lisa Guest

    Can you access and run the windows update site? If not...I just ran into
    this the other day...

    Follow these steps carefully.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

    Renaming the Catroot folder and the .dll registering did it for me. Of
    course I can't guarantee this is the same problem, but it may be worth
    reviewing.

    Lisa, Dec 3, 2004
  12. SidKnee

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:11:36 -0600, in
    <H4Prd.45$>
    Jay scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 00:21:42 GMT, in
    >> <qkOrd.1635$>
    >> SidKnee scrawled:
    >>

    >>>"°Mike°" <> wrote > http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    >>>DoI remove the 3 .dll files shown in lspfix???
    >>>
    >>>MSWSOC.DLL
    >>>WINRNR.DLL
    >>>RSVPSP.DLL
    >>>
    >>>?
    >>>sID

    >> NO! Those are valid system files (it's mswsock.dll, by
    >> the way). If LSPFix identified any wayward files, it would
    >> have placed them in the 'Remove' list. Leave things as
    >> they are, if those are the only three files listed.
    >>

    >Would it be safe to assume Sid accidentally deleted the wrong DLL
    >and is now sitting at a 'Invalid System Disk' prompt?

    No. If he had "removed" those files via LSPFix, it only
    removes the registry entries. He may be sitting at a
    blank browser, but it wouldn't bork his system totally.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Dec 3, 2004
  13. SidKnee