    that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
    links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
    updates?

    PuppyKatt, Oct 13, 2004

  2. PuppyKatt

    °Mike° Guest

    You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or
    nothing occurs after you click a link
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

    BUG: Microsoft Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page
    While It Uses an HTTP 1.0 Request in a WinInet Application
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816405

    HTML Pages Only Partially Appear, HTML Pages Do Not Appear,
    or the Network Stops Responding
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823386

    Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page and May Appear to
    Stop Responding on Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832624

    Nothing happens when you click a link
    http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

    OLEXP Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Do Not
    Start Web Browser

    OLEXP Nothing Happens When You Click a Link in
    Outlook Express

    Current Web Page Is Blank After Opening an Outlook-- URI
    from Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257136

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:48:49 -0500, in
    <dhibd.115$>
    PuppyKatt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 13, 2004

  3. PuppyKatt

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:48:49 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
    >news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
    >addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
    >"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
    >seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
    >that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates. I
    >was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing them,
    >but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites to
    >download it.
    >
    >I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
    >that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
    >links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
    >updates?

    Check your 'HOSTS' file. A virus might have changed entries for the
    AV sites & Micro$ofts to 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP).

    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email

    G. Morgan, Oct 14, 2004
  4. PuppyKatt

    doS Guest

    Lucky you.

    doS, Oct 14, 2004
  5. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?
    :
    : >Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
    : >news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
    : >addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
    : >"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
    : >seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
    : >that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates.
    : >was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing
    them,
    : >but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites
    : >download it.
    : >

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  6. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    I am sorry for not making my problem more-nearly clear. I CANNOT CLICK
    ON ANY LINKS. I CANNOT CUT AND PASTE THESE LINKS INTO MY ADDRESS BAR.
    I CANNOT MANUALLY TYPE IN THE ADDRESSES THAT YOU PROVIDED. ALL I GET
    REGARDLESS OF HOW I ATTEMPT TO GET TO A MICROSOFT PAGE OF ANY KIND IS "
    Page cannot be displayed."
    : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=177054
    :
    : http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176581
    :
[...]
    : --
    : Basic computer maintenance
    : http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  7. PuppyKatt

    DC Guest

    PuppyKatt wrote:

    [...]

    > How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?

    That depends on which OS you use, PK.

    Win 98 -- file:/mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/hosts

    Win XP -- file:/mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

    Linux -- file:/etc/hosts

    Mac OS -- who cares. }:O)

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
    of nothing.

    DC, Oct 14, 2004
  8. PuppyKatt

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:47:04 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    used 37 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

    Open it with notepad.

    It should look like this:

    # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host
    name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

    127.0.0.1 localhost

    If it doesn't look exactly like this then edit it.

    To confirm my hunch goto:

    http://207.46.250.252/ (Microsoft)

    if that works, then your DNS is getting screwed up.

    you can get IP's yourself by going to the DNS lookup tool:

    http://69.72.176.180/lookup.html?

    G. Morgan, Oct 14, 2004
  9. PuppyKatt

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Did you run repair from the control panel. Cut and paste those links, or
    type them in the run box, start>run. See if that works.

    pcbutts1, Oct 14, 2004
  10. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Mine reads exatly as you said it should. Neither of the links you
    provided work; I get the page cannot be displayed thing for both. How
    can I "repair" IE in XP? I remember in Windows '98, going into
    Add/Remove Programs, if you tried to uninstall IE, you were given the
    repair option, but does that also wirk with XP Home?

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    : On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:47:04 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    : used 37 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    :
    : >How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?
    :
    :
    : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
    :
    : Open it with notepad.
    :
    : It should look like this:
    : -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    :
    : # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    : #
    : ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    :

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  11. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Where is it in the control panel? I have no Repair option.

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    : Did you run repair from the control panel. Cut and paste those links,
    or
    : type them in the run box, start>run. See if that works.
    :
    : --
    :
    :
    : The best live web video on the internet
    http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    : Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    :
    :
    :
    : "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    : news:qajbd.128$...
    : >I am sorry for not making my problem more-nearly clear. I CANNOT
    CLICK
    : > ON ANY LINKS. I CANNOT CUT AND PASTE THESE LINKS INTO MY ADDRESS
    BAR.
    : > I CANNOT MANUALLY TYPE IN THE ADDRESSES THAT YOU PROVIDED. ALL I
    GET
    : > REGARDLESS OF HOW I ATTEMPT TO GET TO A MICROSOFT PAGE OF ANY KIND
    IS "
    : > Page cannot be displayed."
    : > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : > news:...
    : > : You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or
    : > : nothing occurs after you click a link
    : > : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
    : > :
[...]
    : > : >download it.
    : > : >
    : > : >I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made
    sure
    : > : >that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is
    causing
    : > : >links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
    : > : >updates?
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > : --

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  12. PuppyKatt

    WormWood Guest

    Reboot........use your ~other~ browser.

    "PuppyKatt" whined:

    WormWood, Oct 14, 2004
  13. PuppyKatt

    Liz Guest

    PK, check your settings in you Internet Explorer.
    Open Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Connections tab
    Click on LAN Settings, Uncheck the Automatically detect settings.
    See if this helps.

    "PuppyKatt" wrote

    Liz, Oct 14, 2004
  14. PuppyKatt

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:39:52 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    used 64 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >Mine reads exatly as you said it should. Neither of the links you
    >provided work; I get the page cannot be displayed thing for both. How
    >can I "repair" IE in XP? I remember in Windows '98, going into
    >Add/Remove Programs, if you tried to uninstall IE, you were given the
    >repair option, but does that also wirk with XP Home?

    So you can't go to *any* websites at all?
    I assume you still can email if you can post to USENET.

    You can't 'repair' I.E.

    Try this (from your ISP's website) :

    1. In your browser window, click on Tools -> Internet Options
    2. Click on the Connections tab
    3. Click on the LAN Settings button
    4. Remove any/all checkmarks on this page.
    5. Press ok

    G. Morgan, Oct 14, 2004
  15. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    I did several reboots, I also uninstalled IE via Control
    Panel|Add/Remove Windows Components, and turned the computer off for a
    good 15 minutes. When Ij turned the computer back on, I re-installed
    IE, and it is the same thing. I cannot access Updated, or any other
    website that involves Microsoft, nor my anti-virus update. Firefox does
    not help; I still get the "page cannot be displayed" error page.
    Something, somewhere on my computer is blocking all access to Microsoft
    and anti-virus.

    "WormWood" <> wrote in message
    : Reboot........use your ~other~ browser.
    :
    : "PuppyKatt" whined:
    : | Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
    : | news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
    : | addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
    : | "Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
    : | seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection,
    and
    : | that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates.
    : I
    : | was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing
    : them,
    : | but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites
    : | download it.
    : |

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  16. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    That is the first thing I always do when I have IE problems. Funny,
    that stupid page that says "page cannot be..." says to check the box.
    Either way, it is a no-go. How are you doing, Liz?

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    : PK, check your settings in you Internet Explorer.
    : Open Internet Explorer> Tools> Internet Options> Connections tab
    : Click on LAN Settings, Uncheck the Automatically detect settings.
    : See if this helps.
    :
    : "PuppyKatt" wrote
    : > Where is it in the control panel? I have no Repair option.
    : >
    : > "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    : > news:SOjbd.3538$...
    : > : Did you run repair from the control panel. Cut and paste those
    links,
    : > or
    : > : type them in the run box, start>run. See if that works.
    : > :
    : > : --
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : The best live web video on the internet
    : > http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    : > : Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    : > :
    : > :
    : > :
    : > : "PuppyKatt" <> wrote in message
    : > : news:qajbd.128$...
    : > : >I am sorry for not making my problem more-nearly clear. I CANNOT
    : > CLICK
    : > : > ON ANY LINKS. I CANNOT CUT AND PASTE THESE LINKS INTO MY
    ADDRESS
    : > BAR.
    : > : > I CANNOT MANUALLY TYPE IN THE ADDRESSES THAT YOU PROVIDED. ALL
    : > GET
    : > : > REGARDLESS OF HOW I ATTEMPT TO GET TO A MICROSOFT PAGE OF ANY
    KIND
    : > IS "
    : > : > Page cannot be displayed."
    : > : > "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    : > : > news:...
    : > : > : You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or
    : > : > : nothing occurs after you click a link
    : > : > : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
    : > : > :
[...]
    : > : > : >
    : > : > : >I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and
    made
    : > sure
    : > : > : >that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is
    : > causing
    : > : > : >links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and
    Microsoft
    : > : > : >updates?
    : > : > : >
    : > : > :
    : > : > : --

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  17. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    "G. Morgan" <> wrote in message
    : On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:39:52 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    : used 64 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    :
    : >Mine reads exatly as you said it should. Neither of the links you
    : >provided work; I get the page cannot be displayed thing for both.
    How
    : >can I "repair" IE in XP? I remember in Windows '98, going into
    : >Add/Remove Programs, if you tried to uninstall IE, you were given the
    : >repair option, but does that also wirk with XP Home?
    :
    : So you can't go to *any* websites at all?

    I can go to SOME seblites, just not anything related to Microsoft, even
    if I use Firefox to get there.

    : I assume you still can email if you can post to USENET.
    :
    :
    : You can't 'repair' I.E.
    :
    : Try this (from your ISP's website) :
    :
    : 1. In your browser window, click on Tools -> Internet Options
    : 2. Click on the Connections tab
    : 3. Click on the LAN Settings button
    : 4. Remove any/all checkmarks on this page.
    : 5. Press ok
    :
    That is always the first thing I check when I have problems with IE. As
    I said to Liz, that does not help, and by (my) default, All checkmarks
    in that section are ALWAYS unchecked.
    : -Graham
    :
    : Remove the 'snails' from my email

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  18. PuppyKatt

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 21:17:30 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
    used 39 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    >I can go to SOME seblites, just not anything related to Microsoft, even
    >if I use Firefox to get there.

    that makes no sense. Can you ping MS?

    PuppyKatt, Oct 14, 2004
  20. PuppyKatt

    Liz Guest

    I'm great, PK. We are building our retirement home this summer,
    am kind of busy planning the details, only have time to follow one
    or two threads, except when I'm working online, I check back more often.

    So, after changing the settings, did you close and restart IE?
    I have read somewhere (can't find the link) about DNS servers were
    erased or changed when SP2 was installed, resetting your router
    to its default settings will fix the problem. I'll see if I can find something
    on google.

    "PuppyKatt" <> wrote

    Liz, Oct 14, 2004