    TIA,
    gARY
    , Jun 14, 2008

  2. N Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

    1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

    2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

    The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    question.

    TIA,
    gARY

    I think you should buy Nikon. You won't have problems with the spelling.
    N, Jun 15, 2008

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

    1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

    2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

    The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    question.

    TIA,
    gARY

    The reasons are:-

    1. Nikon lenses fit onto Nikon Cameras better than they do onto Canon, or
    any other make of camera.
    2. Canon lenses fit onto Canon Cameras better than they do onto Nikon, or
    any other make of camera.

    That would strike me as being the most important function which
    differentiates these lenses.

    Roy G
    Roy G, Jun 15, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
    >
    > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    > have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    > question.
    >
    > TIA,
    > gARY

    One answer might be:

    - Nikon because the kit-lens (18 - 55mm) has higher image quality

    - Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens

    - Nikon because they offer a better selection of Macro lenses

    - Nikon because they offer more useful tilt-and-shift lenses

    but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
    its Canon equivalent.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 15, 2008
  5. Paul Furman Guest

    Re: |GG| Cannon v Nikon lens

    wrote:
    > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
    >
    > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    > have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    > question.

    Nikon for the selection of old lenses to play with. I know that was off
    limits but it's what I enjoy a lot. Affordable 50mm f/1.2, 35mm f/1.4,
    135mm f/2, 3rd party 300mm f/2.8 MF that meters perfectly. My new lenses
    are excellent too. Canon has more selection of current AF lenses like
    f/4 zooms & more options with & without stabilization but for the old
    classics you get stop down metering.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 15, 2008
  6. Matt Ion Guest

    Shawn Hirn wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
    >>
    >> 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ
    >>
    >> 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ
    >>
    >> The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    >> have a function better than the other ­ so what is it, IS the
    >> question.

    > There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
    > shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
    > actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
    > type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
    > decision on your particular needs.
    >
    > These camera and lens wars are beyond silly. Nikon, Canon, and the other
    > major camera makers all make great cameras and lenses. What's far more
    > important than your camera gear is your ability to use it effectively
    > for your needs. You could spend tens of thousands of dollars on top of
    > the line Nikon or Canon gear and still end up with lousy photos if you
    > do not bother to learn the basics of photography, lighting, and the use
    > of your camera gear.

    The only truly useful answer of the lot... and I fully agree.

    What I tell friends who are shopping for cameras, is to go to the store
    and actually PICK UP and HANDLE and USE the different models you're
    considering. Poke through their menus, look at the options and where
    you find them... operate ALL the controls and see how they feel... and
    in the end, go with the one that's the most comfortable FOR YOU to use.

    Because ultimately, a camera that feels clunky and confusing and is too
    convoluted FOR YOU to use will end up sitting on a shelf collecting
    dust, rather than taking pictures. And at that point, it doesn't matter
    which brand has "better" glass, or a "better" sensor, or more
    megapixels, or any of the other minute differences that camera snobs
    fight about.

    Two different friends recently were considering Canon vs. Nikon for
    their first DSLRs. I told both to go Canon, because then I could borrow
    their lenses :) But then I gave them the above advice.

    One ended up with a Nikon D80. The other ended up with a Pentax *ist.
    Both are very happy with their cameras and use them extensively. And
    when it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.
    Matt Ion, Jun 15, 2008
  7. Steve Guest

    On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:37:22 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    [...]
    >- Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens

    [...]
    >but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
    >its Canon equivalent.

    These were two of my deciding factors to go with Nikon. But overall I
    think the lens quality of lenses in similar areas of the spectrum of
    what canon vs. nikon offer are very ... similar.

    But a huge difference in what I see in the resulting pictures of canon
    vs. nikon DSLRs in a similar area of the spectrum of what they offer
    is that nikon has much better light metering, both with and without
    flash. And if you're talking strictly about flash photography, Nikon
    has Canon beat hands down. I can't tell you how many improperly
    exposed indoor flash pictures I've seen come out of a Canon camera
    that just doesn't happen with a Nikon in the same situation. And
    Nikon's creative lighting system is great. If your camera can be a
    CLS controller, all you need is an SB600 and you can do some really
    great stuff without cables all over the place.

    But since this is about lenses, I won't mention light control.;)

    Steve
    Steve, Jun 15, 2008
  8. Guest

    Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
    moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
    further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
    for being nearly there, please see below:-

    On Jun 15, 12:50 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >   wrote:
    > > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

    > > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

    > > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

    > > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    > > have a function better than the other ­ so what is it, IS the
    > > question.

    > There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
    > shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
    > actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
    > type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
    > decision on your particular needs.

    So, with regard to the lenses available……

    What would my needs be if I chose Canon

    Nikon, same question?

    This is the total point of my post.

    Thanks a lot,
    gARY
    , Jun 15, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Jun 15, 10:19 pm, wrote:
    > Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
    > moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
    > further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
    > for being nearly there, please see below:-
    >
    > On Jun 15, 12:50 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > >   wrote:
    > > > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

    > > > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

    > > > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

    > > > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    > > > have a function better than the other ­ so what is it, IS the
    > > > question.

    > > There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
    > > shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
    > > actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
    > > type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
    > > decision on your particular needs.

    > So, with regard to the lenses available……
    >
    > What would my needs be if I chose Canon
    >
    > Nikon, same question?
    >
    > This is the total point of my post.
    >
    > Thanks a lot,
    > gARY- Hide quoted text -

    OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post "(and forget range
    of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
    decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.

    The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

    Regards,
    gARY
    , Jun 15, 2008
  10. Guest

    On Jun 16, 1:27 am, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >   wrote:
    > > OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post  "(and forget range
    > > of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
    > > decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.

    > > The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

    > For me, the "need" behind buying Canon instead of Nikon lenses is very
    > simple. Nikon lenses are not compatible with my Canon dSLR, while Canon
    > lenses are compatible.

    Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

    Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

    Is this group full a shit? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
    than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

    Just asking,
    gARY
    , Jun 16, 2008
  11. Guest

    On Jun 16, 1:55 am, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >

    >   wrote:
    > > On Jun 16, 1:27 am, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > > > In article
    > > > <>,

    > > > For me, the "need" behind buying Canon instead of Nikon lenses is very
    > > > simple. Nikon lenses are not compatible with my Canon dSLR, while Canon
    > > > lenses are compatible.

    > > Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

    > > Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

    > > Is this group full a shit? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
    > > than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

    > You asked a question and several people provided interesting responses.
    > I do not see what more you can expect.- Hide quoted text -

    YOU are a total dip!

    RE-Read the thread!

    Do not tell people shit, like you do!

    YOU HAVE no reply,
    gARY

    PS, No wonder you want to lose this message in 6 days??
    , Jun 16, 2008
  12. Guest

    On Jun 16, 2:00 am, wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 1:55 am, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >

    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > >   wrote:

    > > > Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

    > > > Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

    > > > Is this group full a shit? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
    > > > than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

    > > You asked a question and several people provided interesting responses.
    > > I do not see what more you can expect.- Hide quoted text -

    > YOU are a total dip!
    >
    > RE-Read the thread!
    >
    > Do not tell people shit, like you do!
    >
    > YOU HAVE no reply,
    > gARY
    >
    > PS, No wonder you want to lose this message in 6 days??- Hide quoted text -

    I try again....

    "the type of photography you expect to do most frequently"

    So Canon is what type?

    Nikon is what type?

    Someone tell me please!!!!
    gARY
    , Jun 16, 2008
  13. Paul Furman Guest

    Re: |GG| Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

    wrote:
    > On Jun 15, 10:19 pm, wrote:
    >> Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
    >> moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
    >> further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
    >> for being nearly there, please see below:-
    >>
    >> On Jun 15, 12:50 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> In article
    >>> <>,
    >>> There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
    >>> shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
    >>> actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
    >>> type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
    >>> decision on your particular needs.

    >> So, with regard to the lenses available……
    >>
    >> What would my needs be if I chose Canon
    >>
    >> Nikon, same question?
    >>
    >> This is the total point of my post.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot,
    >> gARY- Hide quoted text -

    > OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post "(and forget range
    > of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
    > decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.
    >
    > The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

    Excellent, affordable, fast, long, wide, compact & sturdy MF lenses
    which all meter perfectly on a D200 & above.

    There are lots of specific comparisons to be made depending what's
    important to you for old & new lenses:

    If you don't mind stop down metering, Canon with an adapter is fine.
    Compared to a budget Nikon body, Canon will do more. D200 & above will
    do more than Canon with Nikkors.

    Wide Angle
    -for Fx, Nikon's new 14-24 is reason alone to choose that brand if it
    fills a primary need for you. For me that's too big & clunky for where I
    want wide angle. Canon has a nice 10-20 which Nikon lacks but the
    Sigma's supposed to be OK. Nikon has a 10.5mm Dx fisheye that Canon lacks.

    Nikon 28mm f/1.4 AF
    Nikon 35mm f/1.4 vs Canon AF 35mm f/1.4
    Nikon 50mm f/1.2 vs Canon AF 50mm f/1.2
    Nikon 58mm f/1.2
    Nikon 85mm f/1.4 vs Canon 85mm f/1.2
    -budget plays a role in this decision, the smart choice is Nikon 35/1.4
    & 85/1.4 unless you can afford more and have very very specific needs
    and Nikon still might win with the 28/1.4 & 58/1.2. A Canon shooter
    might never consider such lenses but it's not a big deal to afford old
    Nikkors.

    Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR vs Canon 70-200/2.8 IS
    -recently the Canon has been discovered better on Fx (not on Dx though).
    Canon has an f/4 version and a non-IS I think, which is nice. Nikon has
    old variations in that range.

    Super Macro
    Canon has a modern lens for up to 5:1 Nikon has great old klunky
    scientist gear that'll work just as well on a Canon.

    Super Telephoto
    I think they are about equal now that Nikon has new long VR models. And
    you can save thousands going with an old manual focus Nikkor (some real
    jewels) or old 3rd party lens. Canon has the option of IS on moderate
    speed super-teles like 400mm f/5.6 IS.

    Tilt/Shift
    -Nikon has some killer new lenses in this category. Canon had more
    options before but they aren't the best optically & this type of lens is
    for super picky studio work so Nikon has them beat for tabletop product
    work & architecture.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Jun 16, 2008
  14. Shawn Hirn wrote:
    []
    > At the end of the day, all brands of dSLR camera work exactly the same
    > way; allowing light into a box. they both rely on the physics of
    > light, such as aperture, shutter sped, and depth of field. In my
    > opinion, it really is, six of one, half dozen of the other.

    Quite right - it is a pity that "gARY" cannot see this, and only insults
    those who try and help.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jun 16, 2008
  15. Chris H Guest

    In message
    <>,
    writes
    >Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
    >
    >1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    >2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
    >
    >The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    >have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    >question.

    Both have a range of lenses to cover almost anything
    Both have a range of bodies to cover almost anything

    Both Nikon and Canon tend to leapfrog each other with their equipment
    every 6-18 months

    Some times in some areas Canon predominate
    Some times in some areas Nikon predominate.
    Some times the areas they predominate in changes

    I use a Nikon because a friend did and I tried his and liked it.

    He said at the time Nikon had just brought out the camera and Canon did
    not have anything similar (until 12 months later when Canon brought out
    something slightly better than the Nikon but then 12 months later
    Nikon....
    SO both he and I could have wound up using Canon

    What sort of photography do you want to do?

    Oh to hell with it... after all this is rec.phot.digital....

    USE NIKON because God Uses Nikon.

    God Uses Nikon because they are Much Better(tm) than Canon and will
    take far better pictures even if you don't know how to operate them...

    Canon users are all going to ROT In HELL

    I feel better now :)
    Chris H, Jun 16, 2008
  16. Guest

    On Jun 16, 7:35 am, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > Shawn Hirn wrote:
    >
    > []
    >
    > > At the end of the day, all brands of dSLR camera work exactly the same
    > > way; allowing light into a box. they both rely on the physics of
    > > light, such as aperture, shutter sped, and depth of field. In my
    > > opinion, it really is, six of one, half dozen of the other.

    > Quite right - it is a pity that "gARY" cannot see this, and only insults
    > those who try and help.
    >
    > David

    Hey, firstly guys I must apologies for my outburst (however the above
    posts just gave me the answer I was looking for).

    I, overall, like David here – honest and true he is, and I now seen
    two of his posts!

    I never did ask whether to chose Canon or Nikon as a camera ‘body’ but
    I see too many of you chucking that in the pool of emotions (some of
    you are better at reading than others).

    I already have my dslr and I really thank you for the help albeit my
    (as usual) long winded approach.

    I apologies yet again and thank you all,
    gARY
    , Jun 17, 2008
  17. Guest

    On Jun 15, 6:37 am, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

    > > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

    > > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

    > > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
    > > have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
    > > question.

    > > TIA,
    > > gARY

    > One answer might be:
    >
    > - Nikon because the kit-lens (18 - 55mm) has higher image quality
    >
    > - Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens
    >
    > - Nikon because they offer a better selection of Macro lenses
    >
    > - Nikon because they offer more useful tilt-and-shift lenses
    >
    > but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
    > its Canon equivalent.
    >
    > David

    I thank you for your reply.

    Good luck,