    than the Nikon d70. Is the D70 worth the extra $500?

    thanks,
    Dan
    Dan P, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Dan P

    sublime Guest

    "Dan P" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:47dd.31587$bk1.30828@fed1read05...
    > I can buy the Cannon Rebel from Amazon for about $500 (with rebate) less
    > than the Nikon d70. Is the D70 worth the extra $500?

    No. Use the $500 to buy a great lens or two - you'll be way ahead
    sublime, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Dan P

    Mick Brown Guest

    Yes it is

    --
    Michael Brown
    Melbourne Australia

    Mick Brown, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Dan P wrote:
    > I can buy the Cannon Rebel from Amazon for about $500 (with rebate)

    less
    > than the Nikon d70. Is the D70 worth the extra $500?

    The cheapest you would probably get the body only is for $600 after the
    $100 rebate. As for Nikon D70's worth at $400 more than the dRebel, I
    suggest goto www.dpreview.com, click on "Buying Guide" on the left and
    then click on "Side-by-side comparison". Choose the Canon 300D and the
    Nikon D70 and see the differences for yourself.

    IMHO, no one seems to have reported a huge difference in the quality of
    images.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  5. Dan P

    G-Man Guest

    To me it was, and most reviews have the same conclusion.

    G-Man

    G-Man, Oct 19, 2004
  6. G-Man wrote:
    > To me it was, and most reviews have the same conclusion.

    I haven't bought the 300D yet. Can you point me to reviews that justify
    specifically a $400 difference?

    I am posting the differences only from the dpreview side-by-side
    comparison:

    Canon 300D Nikon D70
    =========== ===========
    Max Resolution 3072 x 2048 3008 x 2000
    Effective pixels 6.3 million 6.0 million
    Sensor photo detectors 6.3 million 6.3 million
    Sensor size 22.7 x 15.1 mm 23.7 x 15.5 mm (Nikon DX)
    Sensor type CMOS CCD
    Sensor manufacturer Canon Sony
    ISO rating 100, 200, 400, Auto, 200 - 1600
    800, 1600
    Auto focus type Multi-BASIS TTL, Nikon Multi-CAM900
    7 focus points
    (EOS 30 AF)
    Max shutter 1/4000 sec 1/8000 sec
    Flash guide no. 12 m (39.3 ft) 11 m (36 ft) m
    @ ISO 1000
    Flash modes Auto, On, Red-eye Front curtain, Rear curtain,

    reduction, Off Red-Eye, Slow, Red-Eye Slow
    Exposure compensation -2 EV to +2 EV -5 EV to +5 EV in 1/2 or
    1/3 EV
    in 1/3 EV steps steps
    Metering Auto 3D Matrix metering, Center
    weighted, Spot
    Focal length multiplier 1.6 1.5
    Lens thread Canon EOS EF, Nikkor AF / F-mount, D-Type
    EF-S mount
    Continuous Drive Yes, 2.5 fps max Yes, 3 fps, up to 12 JPEG
    frames
    4 images
    Remote control E3 connector,InfraRed No
    Time-lapse recording Yes, by USB cable
    and PC
    LCD Pixels 118,000 130,000
    Weight (inc. batteries) 645 g (22.8 oz) 720 g (25.4 oz)
    Dimensions 142 x 99 x 72 mm 140 x 111 x 78 mm

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  7. Dan P

    Gadgets Guest

    Re: Canon Rebel or Nikon D70

    Reduced shutter lag and higher burst rate are handy for sports, but if you
    have Canon lenses already, you might be better of sticking with Canon...

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com
    Gadgets, Oct 19, 2004
  8. Dan P

    Eager Guest

    In article <>,
    Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:

    > I haven't bought the 300D yet. Can you point me to reviews that justify
    > specifically a $400 difference?

    Ken Rockwell:

    The $999 Nikon D70 is the best digital camera under $4,000. It is
    superior to every other digital camera I've used under $4,000, and it
    even has some better features and cleaner images than some fringe
    $5,000 professional DSLRs I've tried.
    <http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm>

    Thom Hogan directly compares the Digital Rebel to the D70 and picks the
    D70 here: <http://bythom.com/300D.htm>.

    -=-Joe
    Eager, Oct 19, 2004
  9. Dan P

    GT40 Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:06:48 GMT, Eager
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >Siddhartha Jain <> wrote:
    >
    >> I haven't bought the 300D yet. Can you point me to reviews that justify
    >> specifically a $400 difference?

    >Ken Rockwell:
    >
    >The $999 Nikon D70 is the best digital camera under $4,000. It is
    >superior to every other digital camera I've used under $4,000, and it
    >even has some better features and cleaner images than some fringe
    >$5,000 professional DSLRs I've tried.

    Hardly the best under $4k, the EOS 20D and 1D Mark 2 blow it away.
    GT40, Oct 19, 2004
  10. Eager wrote:
    > Ken Rockwell:
    >
    > The $999 Nikon D70 is the best digital camera under $4,000. It is
    > superior to every other digital camera I've used under $4,000, and it
    > even has some better features and cleaner images than some fringe
    > $5,000 professional DSLRs I've tried.
    > <http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm>
    >
    > Thom Hogan directly compares the Digital Rebel to the D70 and picks

    the
    > D70 here: <http://bythom.com/300D.htm>.

    Thanks for the pointers and I am sure Ken means well and has much more
    expertise than I do but dpreview's comparisons just seem more easier to
    follow with photos from both cameras side-by-side and then comments
    based on the photos. This is much unlike Ken, who states this regarding
    comparing D70 vs 10D/20D/300D:
    "I have not done an exhaustive search of all the minute specs. You can
    if you want, but here's why the choice is so obvious to me"

    That is not to say that each review has to be very detailed and
    thorough but given a choice I would depend more on a exhaustive review
    like the one at dpreview or megapixel.

    The thorough reviews I went through indicate that the Nikon D70 beats
    the Canon 300D definitely, but not by a huge margin and in some
    conditions the Canon 300D is better. I am talking only of image quality
    here. If control over every function of the camera is what you seek
    then the Canon 300D will definitely fall short of your expectations.

    To sum up, both cameras can be great, over-priced or disappointing
    depending on what you need - and that is something the OP has to
    define.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  11. Dan P

    Robert Barr Guest

    The retail price of a DR w/kit lens, mail order with no sales tax, is
    about $815 this morning, give or take. $715 AR. When you find anything
    that's substantially lower than bargain mail order, you should hear
    alarm bells going off.

    There are umpteen 'sub-stores' accessible from Amazon that offer
    everything from ipods to PDA's for about 60% of discount mail-order, and
    you just know that there's nothing legitimate about them.

    That's not to contribute either way to the 'DR vs. D70' comparison, but
    make sure you're comparing legitimate prices. Nobody is going to sell
    you a new DR for $500.

    Robert Barr, Oct 19, 2004
  12. "Dan P" <> wrote in message
    >I can buy the Cannon Rebel from Amazon for about $500 (with rebate) less
    >than the Nikon d70. Is the D70 worth the extra $500?

    Very hard to say. I am facing the same decision. The difference is largely
    in the lens; Nikon gives you a better lens. The Nikon appears also to be a
    bit more ruggedly built, but only a bit.

    My current inclination is to go for the Canon and save my money and spend it
    on the next camera in about three years -- they are still progressing very
    rapidly.

    Both cameras take excellent pictures and are equally easy to operate -- in
    fact surprisingly similar, given that they come from arch-rival
    manufacturers.
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 19, 2004
  13. Dan P

    GT40 Guest

    On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 10:49:00 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dan P" <> wrote in message
    >>I can buy the Cannon Rebel from Amazon for about $500 (with rebate) less
    >>than the Nikon d70. Is the D70 worth the extra $500?

    >Very hard to say. I am facing the same decision. The difference is largely
    >in the lens; Nikon gives you a better lens. The Nikon appears also to be a
    >bit more ruggedly built, but only a bit.

    IMHO Canon has better glass than Nikon, but thats for professional
    grade glass, not the kit lenses.
    GT40, Oct 19, 2004

  14. > To sum up, both cameras can be great, over-priced or disappointing
    > depending on what you need - and that is something the OP has to
    > define.

    I think the large price difference (which is partly attributable to the
    lens) has to be factored in. The Canon gets you going with a decent camera
    at a considerably lower price. The Nikon gives you more control over
    picture-taking, but at a higher price. 95% of the time, there's no
    difference.

    As an eyeglass wearer, I also note that the Canon gives me 3 mm more eye
    relief (eyepoint).
    Michael A. Covington, Oct 19, 2004
  15. Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > Very hard to say. I am facing the same decision. The difference is

    largely
    > in the lens; Nikon gives you a better lens. The Nikon appears also

    to be a
    > bit more ruggedly built, but only a bit.

    Both are plastic. Don't let the black colour fool you :)

    > My current inclination is to go for the Canon and save my money and

    spend it
    > on the next camera in about three years -- they are still progressing

    very
    > rapidly.
    >
    > Both cameras take excellent pictures and are equally easy to operate

    -- in
    > fact surprisingly similar, given that they come from arch-rival
    > manufacturers.

    For me the decision was simple, the Nikon D70 + lens is way over my
    budget and with the Canon rebates, the 300D becomes more attractive.
    But even if I had the extra money, I would probably still buy the 300D
    because this is my first SLR so once I learn a bit about what I need
    from a SLR in a couple of years then I would look into buying an
    expensive one.

    Cheers,

    Siddhartha
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  16. Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > Very hard to say. I am facing the same decision. The difference is

    largely
    > in the lens; Nikon gives you a better lens. The Nikon appears also

    to be a
    > bit more ruggedly built, but only a bit.

    Btw, look at the russian hack for the Canon 300D. It offers features
    like ISO3200, MLU etc that the Nikon D70 simply lacks and just might
    tip the scales in favour of the 300D ;) And people seem to be using it
    without any hassles.
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004
  17. Dan P

    Tony Guest

    Not even close. Go with the Rebel and you will have full access to the Canon
    lenses. Plus 500 bucks to buy one or two.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Oct 19, 2004
  18. Eager <> wrote in message
    > Ken Rockwell:

    [...]
    > Thom Hogan directly compares the Digital Rebel to the D70 and picks the
    > D70 here: <http://bythom.com/300D.htm>.

    Yeah, great examples... two die hard Nikon lovers comparing the D70
    and the DigitalRebel (300D) - now, that will certainly yield an
    exceptionally fair review...

    Anway, the D70 is without doubt the camera with more features and
    (being a Nikon) the more user friendly one. In the hierarchy of
    cameras, the D70 should be positioned above the 300D and slightly
    below the Canon 10D but well below the Canon 20D.

    Having said that: the 500,- difference between the 300D is not worth
    it because we are talking about 50% surcharge for nothing more but a
    slightly better user interface and some technical features that buyers
    of this camera class typically do not use (e.g. custom curves).

    But then, don't we also buy ridiculously expensive clothing and cars
    for nothing more but the name printed on it?
    Bernhard Mayer, Oct 19, 2004
  19. "Siddhartha Jain" <> wrote in message
    > Michael A. Covington wrote:
    > > Very hard to say. I am facing the same decision. The difference is

    > largely
    > > in the lens; Nikon gives you a better lens. The Nikon appears also

    > to be a
    > > bit more ruggedly built, but only a bit.

    > Both are plastic. Don't let the black colour fool you :)

    So get a black Digital Rebel (300D) it doesn't look as cheesy, and it's the
    same price!

    ---

    Darrell Larose, Oct 19, 2004
  20. Darrell Larose wrote:
    > So get a black Digital Rebel (300D) it doesn't look as cheesy, and

    it's the
    > same price!

    Does it offer better image quality than the silver dRebel? ;)
    Siddhartha Jain, Oct 19, 2004