    make it worth $550 more?

    Thanks in advance

    Steve

    Steve Wallis, May 24, 2004

  2. Steve Wallis

    Pat Guest

    > In Hobart, Australia, before shopping around, the A80 was $625 vs $1179

    for
    > the G5. To me there seems to be a lot of the same features in each camera,
    > with the main differences that I can see being an extra megapixel, RAW
    > capability and rechargeable Lithium ion battery in the g5's favour. Are
    > there any other advantages to the G5, and does the sum of these advantages
    > make it worth $550 more?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Steve

    Steve, I have a Canon G2 and a new A80. I love the G2 but I can take the
    A80 more places. I can put it in the pocket on my cycling shirt, I can
    attach it to my belt, and I can easily slip it into the cargo pockets of my
    walking shorts. I like the AA batteries because they are cheaper and easily
    purchased at a local store should my stock of batteries give out during a
    trip. The G5 will be more like a regular film camera in its size and heft.

    It just depends what you want the camera for. Take it everywhere: Get the
    A80.

    Pat in TX

    Pat, May 24, 2004

  3. "Steve Wallis" <> writes:
    >In Hobart, Australia, before shopping around, the A80 was $625 vs $1179 for
    >the G5. To me there seems to be a lot of the same features in each camera,
    >with the main differences that I can see being an extra megapixel, RAW
    >capability and rechargeable Lithium ion battery in the g5's favour. Are
    >there any other advantages to the G5, and does the sum of these advantages
    >make it worth $550 more?

    You should also see if you can still get the G3. Because it isn't a
    current model, its price should be a lot closer to the A80, and the
    difference between 4 and 5 MP is rather small.

    If you can get a G3 inexpensively, then there's still a choice to be
    made. Both cameras have the flip-out LCD (the G3 screen is larger), and
    about the same complement of manual shooting modes, so for many purposes
    they are the same camera. But the G3 has a 4X zoom instead of 3X, a one
    stop faster lens (which helps in poor light), external flash shoe, and
    RAW output. All of these are helpful if you're serious about doing the
    best photography you can. On the other hand, the A80 is quite a bit
    smaller, which is helpful if you always want to have a camera with you.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, May 24, 2004
  4. Steve Wallis

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > You should also see if you can still get the G3. Because it isn't a
    > current model, its price should be a lot closer to the A80, and the
    > difference between 4 and 5 MP is rather small.
    >
    > If you can get a G3 inexpensively, then there's still a choice to be
    > made. Both cameras have the flip-out LCD (the G3 screen is larger), and
    > about the same complement of manual shooting modes, so for many purposes
    > they are the same camera. But the G3 has a 4X zoom instead of 3X, a one
    > stop faster lens (which helps in poor light), external flash shoe, and
    > RAW output. All of these are helpful if you're serious about doing the
    > best photography you can. On the other hand, the A80 is quite a bit
    > smaller, which is helpful if you always want to have a camera with you.

    Everything he said. Plus;

    I use an A80 at work and bought a G5 for personal use. The G5 produces
    better prints, the colour is more vivid and the extra Mpixel and the 4x zoom
    gives me more opportunity to crop. Both cameras have plenty of manual
    control for those that want to fiddle.

    The A80 uses cheap Nimh batteries and is smaller. The prints I have made
    from it are excellent and if I had wanted to save money I would have bought
    the A80 for myself.

    Both are well made and are thus a bit heavy compared with some cameras.

    I like the extrernal flash shoe on the G5 because I take snaps in the
    hall/theatre at work and need to use a great big flashgun.

    John

    Eatmorepies, May 24, 2004
  5. Steve Wallis

    nixjunk Guest

    >In Hobart, Australia, before shopping around, the A80 was $625 vs $1179 for
    >the G5. To me there seems to be a lot of the same features in each camera,
    >with the main differences that I can see being an extra megapixel, RAW
    >capability and rechargeable Lithium ion battery in the g5's favour. Are
    >there any other advantages to the G5, and does the sum of these advantages
    >make it worth $550 more?
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Steve

    Steve you can buy recarheable AA batteries for the A80. That extra 1 megapixel
    is not a big jump in size. RAW is fine but for most of the adjustments people
    do it isn't necessary. An advantage of the A80 is the small size meaning you
    are likely to carry it more than a bigger camera.

    nixjunk, May 24, 2004
  6. Steve Wallis

    Steve Wallis Guest

    Thank for the responses. I went out today and bought the A80. The smaller
    size was the deciding factor, but I also doubt if I'll use all the features
    on the A80, let alone the G5, so why throw money away.

    Btw, it's a popular camera - When I first looked at it a week ago, only 1
    out of 3 shops visited could show it to me. Today I went to 15 camera shops
    before I found one at Harvey Norman (their last). They all stock it, but
    have sold out and are waiting for orders.

    Anyway, thanks again for the advice,

    Steve

    Steve Wallis, May 25, 2004