    Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    mark_

    mark_digital, Apr 16, 2004

  2. mark_digital

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "mark_digital" <> wrote in news:V-6dnaNWZtKoX-
    :

    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    Ya probably, do people still want that effect in their wedding photos these
    days? Maybe you can add it in with photoshop afterwards?

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Lucas Tam, Apr 16, 2004

  3. mark_digital

    Bud Guest

    "mark_digital" <> wrote in message
    > Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
    > amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

    If you can get it then do, but it can be hard

    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    Try and keep effects to a few photo's as this maximises the impact if that
    effect

    Bud

    Bud, Apr 16, 2004
  4. mark_digital wrote:
    > Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
    > amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

    That's up to you and the situation. You can go to a longer exposure
    (may be a problem with noise with your equipment) with a wide shoot
    particularly head on as the motion will not be as noticeable.

    You may also consider using flash, IF both the bride and the minister
    agree.

    You can also stage the shoot, choosing angles that hide the fact that
    people are not there, this time with some additional light.

    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    I would use it only for a very few shoots. It quickly gets old and
    looses the appeal.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Apr 16, 2004
  5. > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    Such things are like salt on your food. A little tastes good but too
    much ruins it.

    Randall Ainsworth, Apr 16, 2004
  6. mark_digital

    Ian Stirling Guest

    mark_digital <> wrote:
    > Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
    > amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?
    >
    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    Wouldn't it be best to do this afterwards, digitally?

    Ian Stirling, Apr 16, 2004
  7. mark_digital

    photo35744 Guest

    Don't go overboard on the star filter and you don't want the "rays" to
    fall on the faces.

    photo35744, Apr 17, 2004
  8. mark_digital

    zeitgeist Guest

    > Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
    > amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?
    >
    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    Just shoot away, hope for the best. say you could have an assistant hold up
    a remote candelabra or hurricane lamp...and while that was tossed in there
    as a joke cause I'm usually advocating a remote flash for key/fill, it
    occurs to me that it just might work, have an assistant, perhaps get some
    modern dancer in a black mime outfit, shadow the bride with a lantern.

    Use the star filter for a couple shots of an overall view, a close up of the
    rings, not much else and not for close ups, though it does give a subtle
    soft focus effect it can be a bit weird to have stars from a catch light in
    the eye, a reflection off a tooth has been known to star also.

    I highly recommend a tripod, shooting at 1/15th or slower can make a world
    of difference and having some that are sharp helps quite a bit when the
    entire image consists of dark with a few candle highlights.

    zeitgeist, Apr 17, 2004
  9. "mark_digital" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Recessed lighting at the alter providing a very limited
    > amount of light. Do you skip the bride's entrance?

    Maybe with a flash - if allowed - and an amber flash diffuser or gold
    reflector. Always try; explain ahead of time that it is a very
    difficult photographic situation. Practice, practice, practice;
    candles are cheap and long lasting enough to attempt the lighting
    situation before-hand. One other thing - select a focus point
    previous to lights-out and wait for the bride to arrive there; the
    church will be too dark by candle light for most AF systems.

    > Last question. Is it going overboard if a 4 point star filter is
    > used for all the shots? Keep it for just close-ups?

    I always thought those ginger-bready effects cheapened many a good
    photo. I detest effect filters, so my vote is for none at all.

    Michael

    street shooter, Apr 17, 2004