Candid photography?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by /\\BratMan/\\, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. /\\BratMan/\\, Jan 23, 2008

  2. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    /\\BratMan/\\ wrote:

    > If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of the
    > public" know he was?
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

    they stressed the fact a few times and as they stand by it I am
    assuming, and that's all we can do from the details given, that he was
    not making an obvious show of his photography, probably so he wouldn't
    get an obvious camera reaction from the people he was taking pics of.

    On the other hand I once saw a guy who had a small camera on a fob
    thing round his neck, looked like one of those webcams you can use as
    a cheap camera and it was obvious to me that he was taking pics
    without other peoples' knowledge, just occasionally clicking the cam
    without raising it to his face. I know he made me feel uneasy , enough
    to watch him for a while but he drifted away before I could decide how
    to tackle this if I thought he was being too underhand. The fact that
    I still recall it a couple of years later I'd say he did make an
    impact and that he was certainly acting 'in a covert manner'.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008

  3. /\\BratMan/\\

    Fred Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > /\\BratMan/\\ wrote:
    >>
    >> If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of
    >> the
    >> public" know he was?
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

    > they stressed the fact a few times and as they stand by it I am
    > assuming, and that's all we can do from the details given, that he was
    > not making an obvious show of his photography, probably so he wouldn't
    > get an obvious camera reaction from the people he was taking pics of.
    >
    > On the other hand I once saw a guy who had a small camera on a fob
    > thing round his neck, looked like one of those webcams you can use as
    > a cheap camera and it was obvious to me that he was taking pics
    > without other peoples' knowledge, just occasionally clicking the cam
    > without raising it to his face. I know he made me feel uneasy , enough
    > to watch him for a while but he drifted away before I could decide how
    > to tackle this if I thought he was being too underhand. The fact that
    > I still recall it a couple of years later I'd say he did make an
    > impact and that he was certainly acting 'in a covert manner'.

    Are we now going to arrest all TV cameremen that act in a "covert manner",
    every time they're filmiing news reports with unsuspecting members of the
    public in the background, I think not.

    This has been a normal practice in photography for decades, and if we're all
    going to start getting paranoid and suspicious of anyone with a camera in a
    public place, we'll just end up the way America is now.

    I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on recent
    trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions for taking quite
    innocent photographs.
    Fred, Jan 23, 2008
  4. Fred wrote:
    []
    > I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    > recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    > for taking quite innocent photographs.

    One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2008
  5. /\\BratMan/\\

    Cynicor Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    > []
    >> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    >> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    >> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    > One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.
    Cynicor, Jan 23, 2008
  6. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > /\\BratMan/\\ wrote:
    > >>
    > >> If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of
    > >> the
    > >> public" know he was?
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

    > > they stressed the fact a few times and as they stand by it I am
    > > assuming, and that's all we can do from the details given, that he was
    > > not making an obvious show of his photography, probably so he wouldn't
    > > get an obvious camera reaction from the people he was taking pics of.
    > >
    > > On the other hand I once saw a guy who had a small camera on a fob
    > > thing round his neck, looked like one of those webcams you can use as
    > > a cheap camera and it was obvious to me that he was taking pics
    > > without other peoples' knowledge, just occasionally clicking the cam
    > > without raising it to his face. I know he made me feel uneasy , enough
    > > to watch him for a while but he drifted away before I could decide how
    > > to tackle this if I thought he was being too underhand. The fact that
    > > I still recall it a couple of years later I'd say he did make an
    > > impact and that he was certainly acting 'in a covert manner'.
    > >

    > Are we now going to arrest all TV cameremen that act in a "covert manner",
    > every time they're filmiing news reports with unsuspecting members of the
    > public in the background, I think not.
    >
    > This has been a normal practice in photography for decades, and if we're all
    > going to start getting paranoid and suspicious of anyone with a camera in a
    > public place, we'll just end up the way America is now.
    >
    > I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on recent
    > trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions for taking quite
    > innocent photographs.

    I know where you're coming from, but this one guy really was acting
    sus, his manner was without doubt underhand. I've been on the
    receiving end of some nasty looks and even comments when taking
    pictures in public areas so I know how annoying it is. As for TV
    cameras they should expect to be stopped if they are acting in a
    suspicious manner, just like anyone else.

    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008
  7. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > David J Taylor wrote:
    > > Fred wrote:
    > > []
    > >> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    > >> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    > >> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    > > One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    > But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.

    :O)
    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008
  8. /\\BratMan/\\

    > Cynicor wrote:
    >>
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    >> > Fred wrote:
    >> > []
    >> >
    >> > One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    >> But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.

    > :O)

    I did, three pairs of Levis!

    All I've got to do now is make sure I don't put on any more weight!!!!!

    :eek:)
    Fred, Jan 23, 2008
  9. /\\BratMan/\\

    tony cooper Guest

    On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >Fred wrote:
    >[]
    >> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    >> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    >> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    >One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
    UK?

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jan 23, 2008
  10. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > Cynicor wrote:

    > >> But...you can purchase cheap blue jeans for your family here.

    > > :O)
    > >

    > I did, three pairs of Levis!
    >
    > All I've got to do now is make sure I don't put on any more weight!!!!!
    >
    > :eek:)

    shhhh, I have to fool my bottoms by sneaking up on them slowly while
    holding up a picture of someone much slimmer, then leaping on them
    before they realise what's happened!

    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008
  11. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008
  12. tony cooper wrote:
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> Fred wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    >>> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    >>> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    >> One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    > You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
    > UK?

    Not relevant, Tony, as my comment referred to the reported behaviour of
    "officials in America".

    David
    David J Taylor, Jan 23, 2008
  13. /\\BratMan/\\

    Fred Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>Fred wrote:
    >>[]
    >>> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    >>> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    >>> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    >>One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    > You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
    > UK?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    Yes I did, but the discussion's moved on from then.
    Fred, Jan 23, 2008
  14. /\\BratMan/\\

    > /\\BratMan/\\ wrote:
    >>
    >> If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of
    >> the
    >> public" know he was?
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

    > Apparently they used the 'sensitive buildings' thing on him at first,
    > this is from the 17th of december
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/2hv6o3

    God forbid we upset a 'sensitive building'.

    :eek:)
    Fred, Jan 23, 2008
  15. David J Taylor wrote:
    > tony cooper wrote:
    >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:27:26 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    >> <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Fred wrote:
    >>> []
    >>> One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.

    >> You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
    >> UK?

    > Not relevant, Tony, as my comment referred to the reported behaviour of
    > "officials in America".

    I've lived in California for 25 years, so when I went back to NYC, I was
    a quasi tourist. No where have I been in the slightest been bothered by
    officials of any stripe. Taking innocent or not innocent pix.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Jan 23, 2008
  16. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Fred wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > /\\BratMan/\\ wrote:
    > >>
    > >> If he was taking photographs "in a covert manner", how did "members of
    > >> the
    > >> public" know he was?
    > >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/humber/7202847.stm

    > > Apparently they used the 'sensitive buildings' thing on him at first,
    > > this is from the 17th of december
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/2hv6o3
    > >

    > God forbid we upset a 'sensitive building'.
    >
    > :eek:)

    They're so touchy when they don't have their blinds down :O)

    Paul Heslop, Jan 23, 2008
  17. /\\BratMan/\\

    sarge137 Guest

    On Jan 23, 9:40 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    > > tony cooper wrote:

    > >> You didn't notice that the article cited in the thread was set in the
    > >> UK?

    > > Not relevant, Tony, as my comment referred to the reported behaviour of
    > > "officials in America".

    > I've lived in California for 25 years, so when I went back to NYC, I was
    > a quasi tourist. No where have I been in the slightest been bothered by
    > officials of any stripe. Taking innocent or not innocent pix.
    >
    > --
    > John McWilliams- Hide quoted text -

    Same here. Had a private security guard at a shopping mall give me a
    little hassle a couple of years ago. I told him that unless there's
    an unposted prohibition about cameras in the mall he should mind his
    own business. He did.

    Regards,
    Sarge
    sarge137, Jan 23, 2008
  18. /\\BratMan/\\

    Jer Guest

    sarge137 wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 9:40 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> David J Taylor wrote:
    >>> Not relevant, Tony, as my comment referred to the reported behaviour of
    >>> "officials in America".

    >> I've lived in California for 25 years, so when I went back to NYC, I was
    >> a quasi tourist. No where have I been in the slightest been bothered by
    >> officials of any stripe. Taking innocent or not innocent pix.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John McWilliams- Hide quoted text -

    > Same here. Had a private security guard at a shopping mall give me a
    > little hassle a couple of years ago. I told him that unless there's
    > an unposted prohibition about cameras in the mall he should mind his
    > own business. He did.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Sarge

    I've had police approach me a couple of times when my efforts at hiding
    weren't as successful as I had hoped. All I've had to do is remind them
    of their obligation to, absent any evidence of my participation in a
    criminal act, they're welcome to have a nice day (or night as it were).
    Given their subsequent departure, I assume they did.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Jan 24, 2008
  19. /\\BratMan/\\

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Paul Heslop" <> wrote

    > As for TV cameras they should expect to be stopped if they are acting in a
    > suspicious manner, just like anyone else.

    Ditto still press photographers a.k.a. 'Paparazzi'. I've been in the
    situation of having a dSLR and flash unit held against my window when I
    refused to answer the door to a reporter (for reasons I won't go into.) If
    I'd have had access to a phone (I was in my garage at the time) I would have
    rung the police and had them both arrested for trespass and invasion of
    privacy. I eventually rung their editor and told him I'd contact the Civil
    Liberties Union - they didn't use the pictures...

    Paul (B)
    Paul Bartram, Jan 24, 2008
  20. /\\BratMan/\\

    Ron Hunter Guest

    David J Taylor wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    > []
    >> I couldn't believe the paranoia of some 'jobs worth' officials on
    >> recent trips to America, where I was accosted on various occasions
    >> for taking quite innocent photographs.

    > One more reason I no longer have any desire to visit the USA.
    >
    > David

    I have never, in over 55 years of taking pictures, been accosted,
    anywhere in the US, or Canada, for taking a picture, of anything. Seems
    to me that 'innocent' is a matter of point of view. Perhaps the OP
    would enlighten us as to the particulars of those 'innocent' pictures.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 24, 2008