Cancel "1-year" DSL contract with ISP without penalty - how to do it?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by L Mehl, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Hello --

    Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days because
    my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
    receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20 per
    hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message carries an
    attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

    I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
    computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from the ISP
    telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs filter
    such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

    Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL service
    agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term I
    remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the year
    after signup (approx 4 months ago).

    Thanks for any help.

    L Mehl

    ---

    L Mehl, Sep 27, 2003

  2. L Mehl

    Rob Guest

    http://www.techhowto.org/spam.html

    --
    Rob B

    Rob, Sep 28, 2003

  3. L Mehl

    Richard Guest

    L wrote:

    > Because, asshole, many people use that address, and I want to avoid
    > the
    > hassle of notifying everyone.

    Cool. Kaditcha jerk has been filtered by newsguy.
    No wonder I ain't seen him in ages.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  4. L Mehl

    Richard Guest

    L wrote:

    > Hello --

    > Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days
    > because
    > my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
    > receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20
    > per
    > hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message
    > carries an
    > attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

    > I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
    > computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from
    > the ISP
    > telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs
    > filter
    > such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

    > Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL
    > service
    > agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term
    > remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the
    > year
    > after signup (approx 4 months ago).

    > Thanks for any help.

    > L Mehl

    Take screen shots of your emaill messages as you see them on the list.
    Do this every hour.
    Now cancel the contract and tell them that if they dare to charge the
    disconnect fee, they'll be billed $50 an hour for every day's worth of
    cleanup.
    That statement is a scare tactic to make you think you can't get out of it.
    Do you really think that they're gonna take you to court over it?
    It would cost them a hell of a lot more if they did.
    Tell them they breached the contract by failure to filter out the spam and
    cause your mailbox to be unavailable.
    Ditch the jerks.

    Richard, Sep 28, 2003
  5. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Richard --

    Thanks. Good advice.

    Larry

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message news:...
    > L wrote:
    >
    > > Hello --

    > > Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days
    > > because
    > > my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
    > > receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20
    > > per
    > > hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message
    > > carries an
    > > attachment of approx 150 KB in size.

    > > I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep and the
    > > computer is turned off, and, in the morning there is a message from
    > > the ISP
    > > telling me that I have exceeded my storage limit of 10MB. Other ISPs
    > > filter
    > > such messages, so the user's mailbox is not cluttered with them.

    > > Can anyone tell me what words or concepts to look for in the DSL
    > > service
    > > agreement with my ISP, on which I can base my cancellation? One term
    > > remember is a "$200" penalty if the DSL service is canceled during the
    > > year
    > > after signup (approx 4 months ago).

    > > Thanks for any help.

    > > L Mehl
    > >

    > Take screen shots of your emaill messages as you see them on the list.
    > Do this every hour.
    > Now cancel the contract and tell them that if they dare to charge the
    > disconnect fee, they'll be billed $50 an hour for every day's worth of
    > cleanup.
    > That statement is a scare tactic to make you think you can't get out of

    it.
    > Do you really think that they're gonna take you to court over it?
    > It would cost them a hell of a lot more if they did.
    > Tell them they breached the contract by failure to filter out the spam and
    > cause your mailbox to be unavailable.
    > Ditch the jerks.

    ---

    L Mehl, Sep 28, 2003
  6. L Mehl

    TRADESMAN Guest

    PS.
    You have no idea who you've just thanked and taken advice from.
    Do so at your own risk.
    ISPs can and DO sue for breach of contract.

    TRADESMAN, Sep 28, 2003
  7. L Mehl

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:

    | Because, [snip], many people use that address, and I want to avoid the
    | hassle of notifying everyone.

    Just a point here ... if you cancel your ISP contract, you email address
    will be changing anyway, yes? Why not try changing your email account name
    first?

    mhicaoidh, Sep 28, 2003
  8. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Thanks.

    Please see my response to James Mourby.

    LM

    "mhicaoidh" <®êmõvé_mhic_aoidh@hotÑîXmailŠPäM.com> wrote in message
    > Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:
    > |
    > | Because, [snip], many people use that address, and I want to avoid the
    > | hassle of notifying everyone.
    >
    > Just a point here ... if you cancel your ISP contract, you email

    address
    > will be changing anyway, yes? Why not try changing your email account

    name
    > first?

    ---

    L Mehl, Sep 28, 2003
  9. L Mehl

    John Doe Guest

    "L Mehl" <> wrote in message
    > Hello --
    >
    > Service on my ISP has deteriorated significantly in the past 9 days

    because
    > my ISP refuses to filter clearly identifiable spam messages so I don't
    > receive them in my mailbox. I receive them at the rate of approx. 20 per
    > hour, and must manually remove them from my inbox. Each message carries

    an
    > attachment of approx 150 KB in size.
    >
    > I can't do anything about the flow of spam while I am asleep ...

    <snip>

    You SLEEP?!! In that case, you are not doing your fair share to fight spam
    and are part of the problem. You deserve all of the spam and viruses you
    receive. Your negligence has been reported to SPEWS and they (tint) will be
    contacting you shortly (in PERSON) to "correct" you.

    John Doe, Sep 28, 2003
  10. L Mehl

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:

    | Please see my response to James Mourby.

    So, why can't you change your ISP email address, and then set your email
    domain to forward to that address? Then, create a Hotmail/Yahoo account,
    and enter *that* email address whenever you need to online. I never use my
    actual email address online ... consequently, I get no spam to my main
    email. Now, Hotmail, on the other hand ... ;-)

    mhicaoidh, Sep 28, 2003
  11. L Mehl

    John Doe Guest

    > Taking a moment's reflection, L Mehl mused:
    > |
    > | Please see my response to James Mourby.
    >
    > So, why can't you change your ISP email address, and then set your

    email
    > domain to forward to that address? Then, create a Hotmail/Yahoo account,
    > and enter *that* email address whenever you need to online. I never use

    my
    > actual email address online ... consequently, I get no spam to my main
    > email. Now, Hotmail, on the other hand ... ;-)

    What you are suggesting would require the OP to posses intelligence--a
    commodity that it is certainly lacking.

    John Doe, Sep 28, 2003
  12. L Mehl wrote:

    > What attitude?

    > I am looking for a DSL ISP that can apply basic engineering to a widespread
    > spam problem, and provide a reasonable level of service.

    > Running away? Welching? I don't think so.

    Why not just have your own software automatically (without your input)
    delete them from the server? I do that; I don't sit around waiting for
    Earthlink to do it. Take a little control of your own mailboxes.

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 297263
    NEW 9/25/03:

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 29, 2003
  13. L Mehl

    Barbara E Bj Guest

    > > "Moana Anderson" <> wrote in message

    I don't know who is your ISP, but they can sue with the cost of filing a
    suit against a home user being so low really that it is definitely worth
    their while if they want to do so. Worse than a lawsuit, though, is that
    they can mark your credit record badly and with that you would be stuck for
    a long time.

    I had a different sort of problem with an ISP right toward and at the end of
    a one-year contract and tried to cancel the service -- one day before that
    one year was up. The ISP refused to release my telephone line making it
    impossible for me to get any other service. When I attempted to get them to
    turn off the service themselves a few months earlier by refusing to pay the
    bill, they turned if off, waited for me to pay the bill, and then turned it
    back on charging me a reconnect fee and double fees for dialup and DSL use.

    They finally did implement my request to turn off the DSL service AND the
    Dialup that I had with them for several years prior to the DSL and had
    turned back on and paid in advance for during the period when they turned
    the DSL back on without my knowledge...and they implemented that turn off
    three days after the year was up, but they still double charged me for the
    two services, the installation of the service I did not request and they
    still did not release my telephone line so that I could get a different DSL
    service with a different company.

    The problem went away when I moved out of that house and into a new
    residence. Then, I was able to get a new service with a new company.

    Unless you are getting ready to move very soon, I wouldn't suggest that you
    do any of the things that I did when I became so disgruntled with that
    company because they have the upper edge.

    Change your email address. This is usually very easy to do and often you
    can do it yourself. Many ISPs offer you multiple email addresses and if you
    stop using that one for your email address, regardless of whether it is your
    main connection address, at least you won't see the SPAM.

    You can also set up filters in your email reader to filter out the spam.
    Most readers will do that.

    Some readers also allow you to set filters to delete at the server level
    messages that are above a certain size. I have had to do that when
    something too large jammed up the works so badly that the message download
    wouldn't complete, causing the messages trying to come down prior to the bad
    one to come down over and over again in duplicate, triplicate, etc. Unless
    you get a lot of large picture emails from friends, most really large emails
    are some sort of SPAM or other problem anyway. So, it makes sense to just
    block everything above a certain size at the server level.

    Then, at the end of the year contract, if the service has not done anything
    substantial to improve the service, switch services. If they try to hold
    onto your line, you have legitimate recourse at that point since your
    contract is over and you can go to your telephone company and ask for remedy
    from them.

    The company that did all the bad stuff to me never did sue me, but, even
    though I was no longer using it for payments and they were told specifically
    to bill me and had told me they had deleted all of my bank account
    information months earlier, they continually hit my bank account for the
    fees they wanted even after they were asked to stop, causing the account to
    go overdrawn to such an extent that my only option was to close the bank
    account. They hit the account many more than the two times that it is
    normally hit for a hard copy check. They kept on hitting it for months.

    I think they figured that if they made it hard enough, I would do what I did
    when I first came to them for the DSL and would just acquiesce. They froze
    my line at the beginning after I called for information only and two months
    later when I tried to actually sign up for another service, even before I
    had actually started the DSL, I couldn't because the other company already
    had ahold on my line. At that time, I had already been with that company
    for several years with the dialup and I figured it was just a mistake...gave
    them the benefit of the doubt...and figured it was just easier to go with
    them. What a mistake.

    But, it all worked out in the end...cost me a lot of money, but it all
    worked out.

    Finally, bill your account to a credit card rather than to a checking
    account since the Credit Card companies are a little easier to deal with
    when someone fraudulently tries to hit your account too many times on what
    is supposed to be one "check" or "charge." Banks/Checking institutions
    aren't as easy to deal with in those cases and the costs can be enormous.

    So, all in all, grin and bear it, bide your time, change your email address,
    charge to your credit card and not your checking account, set up your
    filters and complain to them regularly and amiably about the problem if it
    remains a problem. Then, at the end of the year, if you still don't like
    them, switch.

    I am very happy with my switch and I have no year contract now. I had never
    signed a contract with the first company but, apparently, use of the service
    implies consent to the contractual terms and the two months at the beginning
    when they held my line without me having the service not to mention the
    additional two months that it took them to get the equipment to me after I
    did sign up didn't count as part of that year. So, they really had me
    blocked from using anyone else for well over a year, but the point was that
    they had me until I had paid them for an entire year, cancelled the bank
    account, etc., and moved. I previously had cancelled the credit account I
    had used for prior dialup service and they didn't know my account numbers
    for the other credit accounts or they might have tried to hit them, too.
    But, thank goodness for small favors.

    Spam, as annoying as it is, doesn't actually constitute a good enough reason
    to get all riled up right now. There are other things you can do about
    that. And, after you are no longer under contract, you will have the
    ability to fight them off if they still give you a hard time about canceling
    their service. It is better not to get them to write nasties in your
    account with them right now over something like this.

    Good luck.
    --
    Barbara E Bj
    Wilmington, DE 19808

    Barbara E Bj, Sep 29, 2003
  14. L Mehl

    L Mehl Guest

    Barbara --

    Thank you for the long note. Very sobering advice.

    I suppose maybe I could live with it, after all.

    Larry M

    ---

    L Mehl, Sep 30, 2003