Canadian source for institutional DVD sales??

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by G. M. Watson, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    I had a long conversation the other day with a friend who happens to be an
    arts librarian. She's anxious to build up her library's DVD collection, and
    has been given a fairly generous budget to do so. She wants to build a
    somewhat artsy collection with a lot of emphasis on foreign/international
    films, and older American classics-- silent film on up-- as well as
    documentaries and instructional DVDS/videos on music, films on art history
    and instruction, architecture, and dance. And so on. Being in Canada, she's
    thus far been using Videomatica out in Vancouver quite a bit, but is
    increasingly dissatisfied with their selection (I always thought it was
    pretty good myself. Oh well). She's also using Facets in the States. She's
    used these two because they seem to make a specialty of institutional sales
    and don't require credit cards to do on-line or phoned-in orders. They're
    apparently willing to open customer accounts instead and use an invoice
    system.
    She'd give Amazon a try but they don't seem to be set up that way. I'm not
    sure if she's tried Chapters/Indigo.

    My question is-- does anyone out there know of any dependable on-line DVD
    outfits that are set up for institutional sales and have an excellent,
    wide-ranging selection? Low prices would be nice too but are not essential.
    Nor is it necessary for them to be Canadian, although that would be nice.

    The right company could net itself some attractive sales figures from this,
    and acquire a loyal and large customer in the bargain. Does anyone out there
    have any suggestions?
    G. M. Watson, Sep 11, 2003

  2. G. M. Watson

    Dunf Guest

    "G. M. Watson" <> wrote in message
    > I had a long conversation the other day with a friend who happens to be an
    > arts librarian. She's anxious to build up her library's DVD collection,

    and
    > has been given a fairly generous budget to do so. She wants to build a
    > somewhat artsy collection with a lot of emphasis on foreign/international
    > films, and older American classics-- silent film on up-- as well as
    > documentaries and instructional DVDS/videos on music, films on art history
    > and instruction, architecture, and dance. And so on. Being in Canada,

    she's
    > thus far been using Videomatica out in Vancouver quite a bit, but is
    > increasingly dissatisfied with their selection (I always thought it was
    > pretty good myself. Oh well). She's also using Facets in the States. She's
    > used these two because they seem to make a specialty of institutional

    sales
    > and don't require credit cards to do on-line or phoned-in orders. They're
    > apparently willing to open customer accounts instead and use an invoice
    > system.
    > She'd give Amazon a try but they don't seem to be set up that way. I'm not
    > sure if she's tried Chapters/Indigo.
    >
    > My question is-- does anyone out there know of any dependable on-line DVD
    > outfits that are set up for institutional sales and have an excellent,
    > wide-ranging selection? Low prices would be nice too but are not

    essential.
    > Nor is it necessary for them to be Canadian, although that would be nice.
    >
    > The right company could net itself some attractive sales figures from

    this,
    > and acquire a loyal and large customer in the bargain. Does anyone out

    there
    > have any suggestions?

    Have a look at http://dvdafficionado.com . She can look through users
    collections to get an idea of what to purchase. For retail in your area I
    would avoid HMV as the pricing in 20-30% higher on average than any other
    store. Check out the smaller mom & pop stores and some of the used dvd
    locations. I'm not about to suggest particular stores as they never seem to
    be thankfull for the reccomendation. The best I ever got was a simple thanks
    as opposed to...free product or a discount which is clearly what I would do
    for the nod.

    The Criterion collection http://criterionco.com has within it's catalogue,
    many "important" films as they refer to them. Except for The Rock, and any
    other Michael Bay film. I have 8mm home made films sitting in a dusty box in
    the back of my garage that are more "important". It would help if she knows
    abit about movies from the 20's on. Bloor street east of Bathurst has a
    number of quality used dvd shops that get decent titles in. They generally
    only buy mint condition and sell for 30% less than new. She has to make sure
    to buy the most current version of a particular title. For example, the new
    Charlie Chaplin releases (2 dvd sets) are light years better than the
    original releases.

    For example, the 2dvd version of Warner Brother's Casablanca for $19.99
    instead of $26.99. For new product there is really only one store that seems
    to outbid the others, Futureshop. They make their oatmeal selling hardware
    and software. The dvd's are often sold at or near cost for selected titles.
    However, always try to give the smaller independants a shot as many of them
    are also competitive.
    Dunf, Sep 11, 2003

  3. G. M. Watson

    G. M. Watson Guest

    ----------
    In article <BlZ7b.216006$>,
    "Dunf" <> wrote:

    > Have a look at http://dvdafficionado.com . She can look through users
    > collections to get an idea of what to purchase. For retail in your area I
    > would avoid HMV as the pricing in 20-30% higher on average than any other
    > store. Check out the smaller mom & pop stores and some of the used dvd
    > locations. I'm not about to suggest particular stores as they never seem to
    > be thankfull for the reccomendation. The best I ever got was a simple thanks
    > as opposed to...free product or a discount which is clearly what I would do
    > for the nod.
    >
    > The Criterion collection http://criterionco.com has within it's catalogue,
    > many "important" films as they refer to them. Except for The Rock, and any
    > other Michael Bay film. I have 8mm home made films sitting in a dusty box in
    > the back of my garage that are more "important". It would help if she knows
    > abit about movies from the 20's on. Bloor street east of Bathurst has a
    > number of quality used dvd shops that get decent titles in. They generally
    > only buy mint condition and sell for 30% less than new. She has to make sure
    > to buy the most current version of a particular title. For example, the new
    > Charlie Chaplin releases (2 dvd sets) are light years better than the
    > original releases.
    >
    > For example, the 2dvd version of Warner Brother's Casablanca for $19.99
    > instead of $26.99. For new product there is really only one store that seems
    > to outbid the others, Futureshop. They make their oatmeal selling hardware
    > and software. The dvd's are often sold at or near cost for selected titles.
    > However, always try to give the smaller independants a shot as many of them
    > are also competitive.

    Thanks for the response-- I had hoped for more, but I guess this is one more
    example of why it's best to avoid use of the word "Canadian" in the headers
    of Usenet posts. I will pass on your suggestion.

    G. M. Watson, Sep 14, 2003