    I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.

    What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
    I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

    JJ, Dec 2, 2003

  2. JJ

    Harrison Guest

    The entire systems advertised are cheap because they are minimal
    machines, usually with on-board graphics and sound.
    If you play games, you'll be greatly disappointed.
    All things considered, Dell is hard to beat for overall value. Their
    systems are well-made and their support is better than many others.
    Use the customize feature on their site to create the system you want.

    A quick Google search may also help you find unadvertised discount
    codes for Dell.

    Harrison, Dec 2, 2003

  3. On 02 Dec 2003, JJ wrote

    > I Have a Compaq 5447
    > AMD 450 mz
    > 8meg videocard
    > This machine is not upgradeable.
    >
    > I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
    > What I need is a new computer.
    > I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
    >
    > What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around
    > $500.

    I was in exactly the same situation last summer -- just wanted a new
    box, without a new monitor or other peripheralsa.

    If it's at all similar to the situation in the UK, you'd be way better
    off spending the same amount on custom-building a new box for yourself.
    (Or if that panics you, paying someone to do it for you.)

    I found that it didn't save me much compared to the most basic new
    units off the shelf, but (a) I got a way better machine for that money;
    and (b) I got to re-use my existing OS (with which I'm happy, and it
    didn't mean upgrading peripherals); and (c) the machine is a lot more
    upgradeable than the cheap boxes (which tend to cut so many corners to
    get the price down that future upgrading can be difficult).

    --
    Cheers,
    Harvey

    For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Dec 2, 2003
  4. JJ

    gangle Guest

    "JJ" wrote in message
    > I Have a Compaq 5447
    > AMD 450 mz
    > 8meg videocard
    > This machine is not upgradeable.
    >
    > I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
    > What I need is a new computer.
    > I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
    >
    > What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
    > I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

    If you insist on having a name brand unit, your best bet is DELL:
    quality parts, good engineering, flexible regarding upgrades, and
    reasonably good customer support.

    gangle, Dec 2, 2003
  5. JJ

    JJ Guest

    "gangle" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "JJ" wrote in message
    > > I Have a Compaq 5447
    > > AMD 450 mz
    > > 8meg videocard
    > > This machine is not upgradeable.
    > >
    > > I like my printer, scanner, and trinitron monitor.
    > > What I need is a new computer.
    > > I am not a power user but a few games would be nice.
    > >
    > > What is the best brand name bang for the buck starting around $500.
    > > I choose this price because entire systems are now being listed for $699.

    > If you insist on having a name brand unit, your best bet is DELL:
    > quality parts, good engineering, flexible regarding upgrades, and
    > reasonably good customer support.

    I also thought Dell would be the way to go. One thing is certain I
    wouldn't touch Compaq with a ten foot pole. The whole point of brand
    name was for tech support to get over the lumps of learning to use the
    windows platform.
    Compaq failed.
    On one occasion a Compaq techie admitted the internet short cut
    buttons on the keyboard never worked properly. Their solution to just
    about every problem was to do a quick restore. When I finally did that
    the machine did not operate at all like what they had shipped.
    Unbelievable bull shit.

    Thanks for the insights.

    JJ, Dec 3, 2003