    mail addresses as part of the IOS ?

    Thanks.

    Rob
    Rob Preston, Jul 8, 2003

  2. In article <3f0ab47c$>,
    Rob Preston <> wrote:
    :Is there any firewall within the Cisco range that can block/filter specific
    :mail addresses as part of the IOS ?

    There's a bit of a terminology conflict there.

    The Cisco firewalls are the PIX series, which do not run IOS.
    As I explained to you a few days ago, the PIX series has no
    ability to filter based on email addresses. I also explained at
    the time that if you are trying to do spam prevention then
    doing it at the firewall level is not going to work.

    The Cisco devices that run IOS are the routers, some of which have
    firewall features. I do not know enough about advanced IOS firewall
    features to say that there is definitely no way to do what you are
    asking, but I do not know of any mechanism. In particular,
    the CBAC (Content Based Access Controls) feature will NOT do what
    you are asking: the inspection that CBAC will do for SMTP is
    limited to requiring that the various SMTP commands be valid RFC821.

    Firewalls and routers are not proper devices to attempt filtering
    by email address, and filtering at that level is unlikely to work
    very well for more than about 15 minutes anyhow.

    PIX and IOS routers can, though, block specific source host
    IP addresses, so if you are just trying to block a particular
    consistant pest then do it by IP address rather than by email
    address. email addresses are subject to change every three or four
    milliseconds.
    --
    We don't need no side effect-ing
    We don't need no scope control