    --
    deet

    , Jun 5, 2007

  2. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
    > Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
    > Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.

    We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
    We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
    aren't telling us.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Vanguard, Jun 5, 2007

  3. On 6/4/2007 8:25 PM, after much thought,came up with this
    jewel:
    > I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
    > Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
    > Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.
    >
    > I would appreciate your advice.

    I don't know what program you use for your mail. Look for something like
    "message source".

    max
    --
    My Pages:
    Virus Removal Instructions:

    What's in a Name?, Jun 5, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    >We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
    >We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
    >aren't telling us.
    >
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.

    The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
    automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
    98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
    sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
    to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
    "save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
    However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
    message and attachment, I cannot do so. Agent says I must download
    the message and save that--Headers alone can't be saved.

    But I think there is probably a way to just save the Headers, if there
    is a way to configure Agent to accept a save command for only headers.

    I hope that explains what I am trying to do
    ..
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

    --
    deet

    , Jun 6, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >>I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
    >> Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
    >> Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.

    >We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
    >We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
    >aren't telling us.
    >
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html

    , Jun 6, 2007
  6. Vanguard Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <> wrote:
    >
    >>We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking
    >>about?
    >>We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
    >>aren't telling us.
    >>
    >>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.

    > The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
    > automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
    > 98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
    > sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
    > to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
    > "save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
    > However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
    > message and attachment, I cannot do so. Agent says I must download
    > the message and save that--Headers alone can't be saved.
    >
    > But I think there is probably a way to just save the Headers, if there
    > is a way to configure Agent to accept a save command for only headers.
    >
    > I hope that explains what I am trying to do

    I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
    to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
    expired). The FreeAgent was too crippled and (until recently) could
    only handle one NNTP server at a time unless you opened multiple
    instances of FreeAgent with a different config file that pointed at a
    different NNTP server. Since I was also trying to find an NNTP client
    that far better regular expressions for searching anywhere within a
    message, Agent looked good until I realize that only in the saved
    searches were they available which meant you had to manually select the
    search, manually select from this list of matching items, and then
    manually delete or commit whatever action you intended. Xnews was far
    better for regular expressions but has defects in its GUI.

    Anyway, it sounds like you have Agent configured to automatically
    extract attachments from selected messages and put them into the
    "Attachments" subfolder under your My Documents folders (which is
    normally under your %userprofile% but can be moved elsewhere). I don't
    know why you want to save the headers of the messages. Headers are the
    routing information and do not describe much, if anything, about the
    contents or body of the message. At most, the headers may indicate what
    encoding was used within the body of the messages, like whether a
    plain-text or print-quotable MIME format was used (but any attachment
    within the body of the message still has its own MIME part). Then
    there's yEnc with its flaky scheme of using the Subject header but
    saving the "headers" of a message would only get you the Subject with
    them. Agent probably support yEnc. Doesn't it save the attachment
    under a filename specified in the parameter in the Subject header?
    Perhaps the source that provided the post didn't pick very intelligent
    naming for their attachment. Maybe Agent can use more of the Subject
    header to name the file for the saved attachment.

    Doesn't Agent let you save messages externally from its local message
    store? Even if it does, I don't know Agent well enough to know if its
    auto-extraction of any attachments means the original message gets pared
    down to just retain the rest of the message (including headers) or if
    the extraction creates a separate file and the message is left with its
    original content (which means it still contains the attachment so, for
    example, you could extract from it again later).

    I didn't see a support forums page at their web site. They also did not
    mention newsgroup names to get help. Disappointing that they can't
    manage to provide community-based support or even point to it,
    especially since they provide a freebie version that they probably won't
    support themself. When looking through the newsgroups, I see some for
    *agent* and *forte* so you might want to go lurking there to see which
    ones are active and discuss Forte Agent for a more focused community of
    users, or wait here and hope an Agent user chimes in.

    Vanguard, Jun 6, 2007
  7. Robb Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    ><> wrote in message

    <snip>

    >> The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
    >> automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
    >> 98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
    >> sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
    >> to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
    >> "save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
    >> However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
    >> message and attachment, I cannot do so.

    Saving headers outside the newsreaders datafiles is pointless. If you're not
    sub'd to 1000 newsgroups, set the days to live to 30 - 60 if you decide you're
    ever going to download the stuff all you have to do is go get it. Set it to
    Purge and Compact on closing, you can save all the articles in text groups for
    100 years if you have the space, but why anyone would want a tarball of old
    posts is beyond me. Read the massive help files, and MAXimize the read
    window. Learn to drive it by keyboard to save time and pointless clicking.

    <snip>
    >I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
    >to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
    >expired). The FreeAgent was too crippled and (until recently) could
    >only handle one NNTP server at a time unless you opened multiple
    >instances of FreeAgent with a different config file that pointed at a
    >different NNTP server. Since I was also trying to find an NNTP client
    >that far better regular expressions for searching anywhere within a
    >message, Agent looked good until I realize that only in the saved
    >searches were they available which meant you had to manually select the
    >search, manually select from this list of matching items, and then
    >manually delete or commit whatever action you intended. Xnews was far
    >better for regular expressions but has defects in its GUI.

    FA is a POS. The full newsreader has more options than most people
    will ever use. The "global search" is worth it's weight if you want to
    look for things (and I'm getting out of my depth) the string 'User-Agent: pan
    0.119 Karma Hunters' appears in 77 posts, 8 of those are not yours - "their"
    is inside 853 articles, 17 are yours, poem is in 15, in four topics, two are
    yours: "Which poem was voted the UK's favourite in 2005?", three seconds
    burned.

    Here's some of the (short) info in Agents help on regular expressions:

    "Spam", is the cyber-term for unwanted messages of all sorts, from
    "get-rich-quick" schemes to offensive or sensitive subjects. Spam infiltrates
    daily without your permission, cluttering your folders and posing a potential
    problem for parents who don't want their children exposed to certain types of
    material. Below are several examples of expressions used to "kill" spam:

    Example 1: To improve performance, you might want to combine a number
    of types of spam you wish to eliminate in one filter. As other key words that
    offend you pop up, you can always add them to the expression. Note that in
    the example below, the vertical bars are equivalent to the operator "or".

    subject: ($ | $$ | $$$* | $money* | sex* | porn*| xxx*)

    Example 2: To prevent Agent from retrieving message headers that start
    with odd characters such as !, $, <, -, etc. (usually spam)

    subject: ={^[^a-z"].*}

    Note: Regular expressions in Agent are case-insensitive unless preceded by
    the % operator. So, this will not filter out subjects that start with upper
    case letters, or those that start with lower case letters, or those that start
    with a quotation mark. Also, this filter will match subjects such as "[Q] How
    do I fix…" and "(fwd) Answers to…". So, you should use it with caution.

    Red part: This "^" character says, "Match if the string is at the beginning of
    a line".

    Blue part: This "^" character inside the brackets "[ ]" means "not these
    characters". So the expression would read "match any character that is *not*
    any upper or lower case letter or quotation mark.

    Example 3: Many times spam mail is not directly addressed to you, that is, it
    does not have your actual address as the value in the "To:" field. Here's an
    expression you can use in a kill filter that will match any message that does
    NOT contain your actual address, either at your work email address or home
    email address. The example below shows the address for Jane Doe at work
    and at home. The "any-recipient" qualifier tells Agent to search for the
    addresses in the To, Apparently-To, Cc, and Bcc fields.

    not any-recipient: ( or )

    This will work for most spam. However, you may find that your own mail system
    inserts an Apparently-To field to messages that are missing a To: or Cc:
    field. The "any-recipient" filter matches the Apparently-To field. If you'd
    prefer to have a filter that does not match that either, try using the
    following expression:

    not any-recipient: ( or )

    and not cc: ( or )

    To filter on a particular word:

    Example 1: To match anything ending in "MMF", followed by a space or the end
    of the field, you can use the following expression:

    {MMF( |$)}

    This will match sevenMMF, or canMMF, or just MMF, but not MMFposter.
    (that was teen I changed it)

    <snip>
    >Agent probably support yEnc. Doesn't it save the attachment
    >under a filename specified in the parameter in the Subject header?
    >Perhaps the source that provided the post didn't pick very intelligent
    >naming for their attachment. Maybe Agent can use more of the Subject
    >header to name the file for the saved attachment.

    The OP needs to set Agent to save attachments automatically and "remove
    attachments from the message body" after saving. These are manual settings
    not out of the 'box'. Encoding is transparent, he doesn't need to do anything
    (unless depending on the version) "detect yenc automatically" needs to be
    selected.

    >Doesn't Agent let you save messages externally from its local message
    >store? Even if it does, I don't know Agent well enough to know if its
    >auto-extraction of any attachments means the original message gets pared
    >down to just retain the rest of the message (including headers) or if
    >the extraction creates a separate file and the message is left with its
    >original content (which means it still contains the attachment so, for
    >example, you could extract from it again later).

    No headers only - messages with bodies. Select all (or Shift + Arrow
    down or up) hit File > SAVE AS - select options, file name, extention,
    location, save. Import in reverse, grep as needed.

    Agent keeps this after deleting a messages body that was retreived.

    Subject: Re: Can you save just Headers
    From: "Vanguard" <>
    Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:27:59 -0500

    [Press ENTER to retrieve this message now.]
    [Press M to mark this message for later retrieval.]

    nntp://news.shared-secrets.com/24hoursupport.helpdesk/1057226
    nntp://news.readfreenews.net/24hoursupport.helpdesk/1425109

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Jun 6, 2007
  8. Robb Guest

    >No headers only - messages with bodies. Select all (or Shift + Arrow
    >down or up) hit File > SAVE AS - select options, file name, extention,
    >location, save. Import in reverse, grep as needed.

    Fricking Agent is futzy. Export and Import one header, the article
    contained an attachment that was auto-saved then deleted. The
    only useful items are the subject, xref index number and MID.

    From: deleted
    Sender: deleted
    Newsgroups: alt...........
    Subject: Some File (*/8)
    Date: yes

    [Deleted]

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Jun 6, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:27:59 -0500, "Vanguard" <> wrote:

    >I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
    >to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
    >expired).

    (snip}

    Thanks for the info. I will try the "lurking" you suggest. I didn't
    know there any other Agent newsgroups.

    I don't use Agent 4 for email--I am using Eudora, but they are semi
    going out-of -business for a while. You can't update the paid
    version anymore, and their support is closing shop.

    The reason I want to just save headers, which I know are virtually
    useless, is to make copies of them for a friend. I burn audio CD's
    for her, and a flood of her favorite "Bobby Darin" has just been
    posted. I'll gladly download enough songs to fit a CD, but darned if
    I can (or could) download over 70 songs.

    I know my original post was odd, but I really had a sensible reason,
    (I think) for wanting to just download headers.

    Thanks for your answers.

    --
    deet

    , Jun 6, 2007
  10. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    > The reason I want to just save headers, which I know are virtually
    > useless, is to make copies of them for a friend. I burn audio CD's
    > for her, and a flood of her favorite "Bobby Darin" has just been
    > posted. I'll gladly download enough songs to fit a CD, but darned if
    > I can (or could) download over 70 songs.
    >
    > I know my original post was odd, but I really had a sensible reason,
    > (I think) for wanting to just download headers.

    If you just wanted her to 'see' what you see on your screen when you are
    looking at the headers for the Darin tunes, you could get it all
    organized for appearance and print screen and send her a .gif displaying
    the music subjects/titles.

    If she has an .mp3 CD player, you could put all 70 songs on a single CD,
    which is a very handy way to be portable with a lot of songs without
    having to pack a lot of CD wallets.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:24:42 +0000, Robb <>
    wrote:

    (snip)
    >Saving headers outside the newsreaders datafiles is pointless.

    (snip)
    Wow--you sure understand newsgroups.

    How can I access the Headers in the newsreader data files?
    The data files I have are a series of numbers. Is there another set
    of data files I can retrieve written in words?

    TIA for your answer.
    --
    deet

    , Jun 6, 2007
  12. Vanguard Guest

    "Robb" wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:
    >>I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
    >>to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
    >>expired). The FreeAgent was too crippled and (until recently) could
    >>only handle one NNTP server at a time unless you opened multiple
    >>instances of FreeAgent with a different config file that pointed at a
    >>different NNTP server. Since I was also trying to find an NNTP client
    >>that far better regular expressions for searching anywhere within a
    >>message, Agent looked good until I realize that only in the saved
    >>searches were they available which meant you had to manually select
    >>the
    >>search, manually select from this list of matching items, and then
    >>manually delete or commit whatever action you intended. Xnews was far
    >>better for regular expressions but has defects in its GUI.

    > FA is a POS. The full newsreader has more options than most people
    > will ever use. The "global search" is worth it's weight if you want to
    > look for things (and I'm getting out of my depth) the string
    > 0.119 Karma Hunters' appears in 77 posts, 8 of those are not yours -
    > "their"
    > is inside 853 articles, 17 are yours, poem is in 15, in four topics,
    > two are
    > yours: "Which poem was voted the UK's favourite in 2005?", three
    > seconds
    > burned.
    >

    > Here's some of the (short) info in Agents help on regular expressions:

    At the time that I trialed FreeAgent (by downloading the full version
    and then moving the clock ahead a month so I would see what I would get
    since my only concern was in finding FREE newreaders to replace the free
    one that I was already using), there was no way to use regular
    expressions that would get used within AUTOMATIC rules when posts were
    downloaded (i.e., filters with regex). Xnews had that but not
    FreeAgent. I asked in a newsgroup for Agent and was told about using
    regex in saved searches but those are not automatically applied when
    downloading posts. I had to select the search to apply, apply it
    (manually), get a list of matches, manually select from the matches on
    which items to commit an action, and then manually commit the action.
    Nothing of that even approached have a rule or filter do it within the
    program without any user interventions (i.e., automatic). I was told by
    FA users that the only way I could do what I wanted was with saved
    searches but that was NOT a solution, especially since several other
    free NNTP clients included [scoring] rules or filters with regular
    expressions that were automatically applied.

    It was bad enough that the UI looked like something developed back for
    Windows 3.1. And to what scheme did their new UI evolve? To a 3-pane
    view that remarkably resembles what Outlook Express had been sporting
    for years.

    The kicker for dumping FreeAgent was it could only support a single NNTP
    server. To get to other NNTP servers, you had to create multiple config
    files that specified each NNTP server and use a command-line parameter
    to load FreeAgent with that config file. That sucked and was
    unbelievably immature, especially for a product that had been around as
    long as it has. I don't know if the crippled version after their UI
    replacement now supports more than one NNTP server or if that is only
    available in their payware version. I don't pay for functionality that
    has been present in other FREE newsreaders for years.

    Xnews came closest to prime requirement for switching to a new NNTP
    client that had decent regular expression within filters or rules that
    get automatically applied against the headers (and anywhere within them)
    or against the body contents. Unfortunately the author develops this
    product for his own use and not really as a publicly used product and
    states such. He simply releases it to others. It has too many GUI
    defects. In fact, as I recall, this NNTP client didn't even understand
    the concept of context menus on any window or data objects (i.e., you
    couldn't right-click anywhere to get at functionality and instead had to
    revert to menus or hotkeys). I really didn't care for the undocked
    windows or the handling of multiple NNTP servers in the GUI. Probably
    the closest replacement that I liked was 40tude Dialog but I'll have to
    retrial them again when I get more free time.

    Vanguard, Jun 7, 2007
  13. Guest

    On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:37:33 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:
    (snip)
    >If you just wanted her to 'see' what you see on your screen when you are
    >looking at the headers for the Darin tunes, you could get it all
    >organized for appearance and print screen and send her a .gif displaying
    >the music subjects/titles.
    >
    >If she has an .mp3 CD player, you could put all 70 songs on a single CD,
    >which is a very handy way to be portable with a lot of songs without
    >having to pack a lot of CD wallets.

    Your solution is perfect--thanks . She doesn't have an MP3 Cd player,
    so I will burn at least 2 audio CD's for her.

    Thanks again for the solution--.

    --
    deet

    , Jun 8, 2007
  14. Robb Guest

    deet wrote:
    >On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 15:37:33 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    >wrote:
    >(snip)
    >>If you just wanted her to 'see' what you see on your screen when you are
    >>looking at the headers for the Darin tunes, you could get it all
    >>organized for appearance and print screen and send her a .gif displaying
    >>the music subjects/titles.
    >>
    >>If she has an .mp3 CD player, you could put all 70 songs on a single CD,
    >>which is a very handy way to be portable with a lot of songs without
    >>having to pack a lot of CD wallets.

    >Your solution is perfect--thanks . She doesn't have an MP3 Cd player,
    >so I will burn at least 2 audio CD's for her.

    deet, I found an old tool that will grab headers from at least version 3
    of Agent. I don't have 4.x - not positive it will work (probably will) post a
    message if you want it. It's a tiny app and only takes seconds to run.

    --
    Robb

    Robb, Jun 8, 2007
  15. Guest

    On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 09:48:01 +0000, Robb <>
    wrote:
    (snip)
    >deet, I found an old tool that will grab headers from at least version 3
    >of Agent. I don't have 4.x - not positive it will work (probably will) post a
    >message if you want it. It's a tiny app and only takes seconds to run.

    Rob--Sounds great--looking forward to your post.

    Thanks a lot.

    --
    deet

    , Jun 9, 2007