    much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.
    JimmyK, Jan 31, 2006

  2. JimmyK

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:06:48 GMT, JimmyK <> wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
    >much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    >whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    >a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

    no. Why would you expect a DVD player designer to know about formats
    dreamed up at a future date?

    If you want to see what HDTV will look like, just hook your PC up to the
    set's VGA or DVI input(s).
    AZ Nomad, Jan 31, 2006

  3. "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 20:06:48 GMT, JimmyK <> wrote:
    >

    >>Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
    >>much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    >>whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    >>a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

    > no. Why would you expect a DVD player designer to know about formats
    > dreamed up at a future date?
    >
    > If you want to see what HDTV will look like, just hook your PC up to the
    > set's VGA or DVI input(s).

    You can download HD files here:
    http://www.divx.com/movies/browse.php?categoryID=3

    DIVX files can also be downloaded and burned onto blank DVDs for playback on
    a DVD player, but it won't be true HD.
    Arthur Lipscomb, Feb 1, 2006
  4. JimmyK

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:

    >No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
    >best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
    >show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
    >setup....
    >

    >"JimmyK" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
    >> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    >> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    >> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

    Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
    players?
    Mr. Moe, Feb 1, 2006
  5. JimmyK

    Netmask Guest

    No - Current DVD players won't recognise the HDTV video - just maybe if you
    put a hd mpeg file on a DVD disc as data, some DVD players will play mpeg,
    but Ii doubt if even this ploy would work and the aspect ratio would be
    wrong etc etc etc

    If he can output video from his computer to his hdtv there are many hdtv
    downloads out there

    Netmask, Feb 1, 2006
  6. JimmyK

    Biz Guest

    Biz, Feb 1, 2006
  7. JimmyK

    Netmask Guest

    "Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
    >>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
    >>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
    >>setup....
    >>

    >>"JimmyK" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
    >>> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    >>> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    >>> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

    > Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
    > players?

    Who knows? From a marketing point of view backward compatibility is a good
    selling point "throw out the old and buy with the new"! Most likely I think.
    Netmask, Feb 1, 2006
  8. "Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
    >>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
    >>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
    >>setup....
    >>

    >>"JimmyK" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone tell me if you can fill up a 4.7GB dvd disc with however
    >>> much it will take to fill it up (say 15 minutes of hdtv programming or
    >>> whatever) and play it on a dvd player? This is to see how it looks on
    >>> a friend's hdtv screen who still hasn't seen hdtv on his tv.

    > Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
    > players?

    The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
    are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
    market can do as well).
    Arthur Lipscomb, Feb 1, 2006
  9. JimmyK

    Mr. Moe Guest

    On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:22:45 -0800, "Arthur Lipscomb"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
    >>>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
    >>>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
    >>>setup....
    >>>

    >>>"JimmyK" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
    >> players?

    >The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
    >are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
    >market can do as well).

    Thanks for the info everybody! (I have ALOT of DVDs!!)
    Mr. Moe
    Mr. Moe, Feb 1, 2006
  10. JimmyK

    Goro Guest

    Arthur Lipscomb wrote:
    > "Mr. Moe" <Mr_Moe@Disposable_Records.com> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 03:51:27 GMT, "Biz" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>No...regular DVDs can only handle standard definition resolutions....the
    > >>best you can do is use a decent PC connected to his tv to playback a hidef
    > >>show or clip...or use something like a Avel Link player or Buffalo theater
    > >>setup....
    > >>

    > >>"JimmyK" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > > Will we be able to play our collections of today's DVDs on the new HD
    > > players?

    > The two HD DVD players Toshiba is making both play standard DVDs. They also
    > are capable of upconverting standard DVDs (which many players already on the
    > market can do as well).

    I'll be interested in seeing if/when there's a HD-DVD/BR player that
    will read 720p/1080i Xvids/x264 files and play them. My OPPO will play
    xvids, but the codec apparently can't handle 720p xvids as the video
    doens't play but the sound does.

    btw, does anyone know if DVD player play transport stream files?

    -goro-
    Goro, Feb 1, 2006