can you recommend an opensource CMS

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XPD, May 25, 2006.

  1. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "GTR" <> wrote in message
    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    What do you want exactly ? You say you want a CMS site yet a simple
    website.....
    Simple website you can whip up in Word/FP :)

    Ive personally tried Mambo and Xoops with varying results.... gone back to
    static HTML in the meantime with PHP based forums and Blog.

    XPD, May 25, 2006

  2. T'was the Thu, 25 May 2006 11:33:54 +1200 when I remembered "XPD"
    <spam@xpd> saying something like this:

    >Ive personally tried Mambo and Xoops with varying results.... gone back to
    >static HTML in the meantime with PHP based forums and Blog.

    I'm still recommending phpwebsite.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, May 25, 2006

  3. XPD

    Vista Guest

    "GTR" <> wrote in message
    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    etomite.org is supposed to be one of the easier ones to setup and use.

    Vista, May 25, 2006
  4. XPD

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "GTR" <> wrote in message
    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    This is a current interest of mine also.
    Looking at XOOPS and CMSMadeSimple and JOOMLA etc.
    Looking at Waylon's recommendation for PHPWebsite also.
    Anyone care to voice about it via MSN Messenger, or Skype?
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, May 25, 2006

    http://www.opensourcecms.com/ review site with lotsa live demos to play with.

    Mark Robinson, May 25, 2006
  6. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:09:14 -0700, GTR wrote:

    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    Personally, I'm a great fan of http://www.etomite.org

    Lightweight, easy to use, multiple templates, simple menus...

    Steve, May 25, 2006
  7. XPD

    XPD Guest

    "GTR" <> wrote in message
    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    BTW, check your clock.....

    XPD, May 25, 2006
  8. XPD

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:09:14 -0700, GTR wrote:
    >
    >> im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >>
    >> ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    >> simple website.
    >>
    >> Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Steve

    > Personally, I'm a great fan of http://www.etomite.org
    >
    > Lightweight, easy to use, multiple templates, simple menus...

    Looks VERY interesting.
    I have printed all the available documentation.
    Steve, what have you used it for so far?
    Brian.

    KiwiBrian, May 25, 2006
  9. XPD

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Waylon Kenning <> wrote:

    > T'was the Thu, 25 May 2006 11:33:54 +1200 when I remembered "XPD"
    > <spam@xpd> saying something like this:
    >
    > >Ive personally tried Mambo and Xoops with varying results.... gone back to
    > >static HTML in the meantime with PHP based forums and Blog.

    > I'm still recommending phpwebsite.

    I've used Xoops for a while, but left it for Mambo and then moved to
    Joomla. Exceptianally happy with that, but for my commercial site
    (www.nzmac.com) I did buy a few commercial add-ins....however there are
    a lot of free add-ins too.

    Simple or complex site, I think Joomla is great.

    Phil
    --
    NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
    http://www.nzmac.com

    Philip Roy, May 25, 2006

    Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 21:02:58 -0700

    timezone ?

    GTR, May 25, 2006
  12. XPD

    Steve Guest

    On Thu, 25 May 2006 19:01:21 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 25 May 2006 10:09:14 -0700, GTR wrote:
    >>
    >>> im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >>>
    >>> ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    >>> simple website.
    >>>
    >>> Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >>>
    >>> cheers
    >>> Steve

    >> Personally, I'm a great fan of http://www.etomite.org
    >>
    >> Lightweight, easy to use, multiple templates, simple menus...

    > Looks VERY interesting.
    > I have printed all the available documentation.
    > Steve, what have you used it for so far?
    > Brian.

    Here's a couple. My first site was http://www.diamondharbour.org.nz, and a
    more complex one is at http://www.thestyx.co.nz

    Steve

    Steve, May 25, 2006
  13. XPD

    smf Guest

    GTR wrote:
    > im looking for an easy to configure and use CMS
    >
    > ive had a quick look at Mambo, php-nuke.. but seem overkill for a small
    > simple website.
    >
    > Are there any others out there that you can recommend?
    >
    > cheers
    > Steve

    joomla and plone are two very simple cms systems to set up and maintain.
    Users have given me feedback that the interface for them is fine - not
    too complicated.

    I've had both running in test on a home server and joomla is now
    installed and being used at my work for a project group sandpit.

    Sue

    smf, May 25, 2006
  14. XPD

    GTR Guest

    I found a easy cms.. CMS Made Simple. http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/
    does the job for me. had it installed and running within 6 hours,
    including the static html files converted to run inside the CMS

    Its only for a 10 page web site, that is regulary updated weekly by
    html/script illiterate users.

    whats wrong with my clock??
    all i see is 10.09am

    cheers