    My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    Darmin, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Darmin wrote:
    > My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    > them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    > europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    Everywhere in the world uses the same format for CDs. A CD is a CD is a
    CD. In Europe they don't even use the same TV system as us. Ours is
    NTSC (well, we're phasing over to ATSC, an all-digital high definition
    format), there it is most likely PAL (possibly SECAM, the French
    system). They have different scan rates, different frame rates, etc.
    You would need a special player that could convert from PAL to NTSC to
    watch it on your tv here. That kind of high-end equipment is strictly
    for the professionals, while in Europe and other parts of the world,
    NTSC-compatible equipment is commonplace, since many people import US DVDs.

    The other niggling issue is the region of the disc. The world is
    divided into 8 regions, the US, Mexico and Canada make up region one
    (R1). Regions 2 and 4 are the second most popular ones. R2 includes
    both Japan (NTSC) and the UK (PAL), so you could have difficulty getting
    a British disc to play on a Japanese player, even though they're the
    same region! This happens in some of the regions. Luckily for most
    people outside the US, region-free players are perfectly legal, while
    here in the US, they ain't. Strictly speaking your computer is supposed
    to recognize which region you are in (either from being pre-programmed
    or from recording the region of the first few DVDs you put in it), so
    you can't even play these on your computer.

    Of course, there are always hacks and mods to make US equipment region
    free. PAL-compatible, however, is a whole other issue. Most likely you
    would have to use your computer, and some kind of software hack (I doubt
    a consumer-level US video card would be PAL-compatible).

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Darmin

    Justin Guest

    Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:54:05 GMT]:
    > Of course, there are always hacks and mods to make US equipment region
    > free. PAL-compatible, however, is a whole other issue. Most likely you
    > would have to use your computer, and some kind of software hack (I doubt
    > a consumer-level US video card would be PAL-compatible).

    I play PAL DVDS all the time on my Geforce 4
    My Dxr2 converts PAL to NTSC

    Justin, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Darmin

    jayembee Guest

    (Darmin) wrote:

    >My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    >them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    >europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    When DVDs were introduced, the studios insisted on a digital flag
    being put on them that restricted where they could be played. The US
    and Canada is designated Region 1, for example, and players sold here
    have the region flag set to "1", which means they can only play DVDs
    whose region flag is also set to "1". Europe is Region 2, and
    therefore, DVDs from Europe cannot be played on American players.

    It's possible to buy a player that's been modified to be "region
    free", or to have your player so modified, but that still won't solve
    your problem.

    The video signal standard is different in Europe than in the US.
    European video signals use the PAL standard, the US uses NTSC. So you
    need either a TV set that's capable of displaying a PAL signal, or you
    need a player that will convert PAL to NTSC (or an outboard converter
    that's wired in between the player and the TV).

    You can play European CDs because (a) there's only one "audio signal
    standard", and (b) they aren't coded to be playable in only one
    region.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Darmin

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Darmin" <> wrote in message
    > My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    > them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    > europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    Region coding.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Darmin

    Justin Guest

    jayembee wrote on [Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:09:40 GMT]:
    > (Darmin) wrote:
    >
    >>My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    >>them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    >>europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    > It's possible to buy a player that's been modified to be "region
    > free", or to have your player so modified, but that still won't solve
    > your problem.
    >
    > The video signal standard is different in Europe than in the US.
    > European video signals use the PAL standard, the US uses NTSC. So you
    > need either a TV set that's capable of displaying a PAL signal, or you
    > need a player that will convert PAL to NTSC (or an outboard converter
    > that's wired in between the player and the TV).

    Or you can go to www.dvdrhelp.com and look up the players info and find
    out which ones have simple hacks via the remote or whatever that allow
    you to play any region you'd like. Quite a few of these hackable players
    will also convert from PAL to NTSC.

    Justin, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Darmin

    Karl S Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 03:18:54 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Or you can go to www.dvdrhelp.com and look up the players info and find
    >out which ones have simple hacks via the remote or whatever that allow
    >you to play any region you'd like. Quite a few of these hackable players
    >will also convert from PAL to NTSC.

    Here is a typical player of this type. I happen to own one:

    http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

    Karl S, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Justin wrote:
    > Grand Inquisitor wrote on [Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:54:05 GMT]:
    >
    >>Of course, there are always hacks and mods to make US equipment region
    >>free. PAL-compatible, however, is a whole other issue. Most likely you
    >>would have to use your computer, and some kind of software hack (I doubt
    >>a consumer-level US video card would be PAL-compatible).
    >>

    > I play PAL DVDS all the time on my Geforce 4
    > My Dxr2 converts PAL to NTSC

    Really? Nifty.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Darmin

    nrawson Guest

    "Darmin" <> wrote in message
    > My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    > them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    > europoe can be played? I don't get it..

    I bought a Daewoo S151 region free DVD player. It has no problem playing
    European DVD's. You simply set the default output to NTSC. They have been
    seen at Sam's Club for about $40. You can also find them on eBay.

    nrawson, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    Can anyone give me a webpage where I can ordera dvd player that will
    do the job??? Which video card exactly will let me play these dvds??
    I have over 30 dvd's that I really want to see. My dad really got a
    good price on them but I still don't want to just waste them...

    Darmin, Mar 3, 2004
  11. On 3 Mar 2004 05:50:17 -0800, (Darmin) wrote:

    >Can anyone give me a webpage where I can ordera dvd player that will
    >do the job??? Which video card exactly will let me play these dvds??
    >I have over 30 dvd's that I really want to see. My dad really got a
    >good price on them but I still don't want to just waste them...

    About a year ago, I purchased a modified JVC XV-S500 from:

    http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

    I have had no problems, of any kind, and it plays all zones, NTSC or
    PAL, faithfully on my 48" Mitsubishi HDTV. Understand that you must be
    feeding it to an NTSC or multisystem TV. I just checked the
    zonefreedvd website and it would appear that their current equiv.
    would be a modified JVC XV N44. Their price is $339 + shipping. This
    unit has a progressive scan output, as well as component and composite
    It also plays the new CD-R/RW recordable CD formats,DVD-R, DVD+RW,
    DVD-RW SVCD, VCD, JPEG, WMA and MP3 formats.

    Cheers,

    Charles
    nzvideos.org

    Charles Eggen, Mar 3, 2004
  12. Darmin

    Darmin Guest

    "nrawson" <> wrote in message news:<lAj1c.181489$>...
    > "Darmin" <> wrote in message
    > > My dad just brought me some dvd's from europe and my dvd can't play
    > > them. Shouldn't computers be able to play them? How come cd's from
    > > europoe can be played? I don't get it..
    > >

    > I bought a Daewoo S151 region free DVD player. It has no problem playing
    > European DVD's. You simply set the default output to NTSC. They have been
    > seen at Sam's Club for about $40. You can also find them on eBay.

    I just wanted to say that the dvd's that I have from europe have a
    label on them that says DIV-X video? Do all EURO dvd's have that????

    Darmin, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Darmin

    Lothar Guest

    The DVD drive in your computer will play any PAL DVD fine. PAL/NTSC is
    only an issue on most stand-alone US (Region 1) players. All Region 2
    players will play PAL and NTSC. You only have to get rid of the region
    setting of the DVD-ROM drive in your computer to watch your European
    DVDs. That can be done by either flashing the firmware
    (http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php) which may be a little bit too
    involved for you or by installing a software patch which I would
    recommend: http://www.dvdidle.com .

    Lothar, Mar 4, 2004
  14. "Lothar" <> wrote in message
    > The DVD drive in your computer will play any PAL DVD fine. PAL/NTSC is
    > only an issue on most stand-alone US (Region 1) players. All Region 2
    > players will play PAL and NTSC. You only have to get rid of the region
    > setting of the DVD-ROM drive in your computer to watch your European
    > DVDs. That can be done by either flashing the firmware
    > (http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php) which may be a little bit too
    > involved for you or by installing a software patch which I would
    > recommend: http://www.dvdidle.com .

    Or do a google for 'dvdregionfree'. This bit of software, not only defeats
    region coding, it also defeats macrovision protection of your TV output (if
    you have one). As a bonus, it also skips playing all the FBI warnings,
    copyright messages and other crap that you normally can't fast forward over.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Mar 4, 2004
  15. Darmin

    Lothar Guest

    > I just wanted to say that the dvd's that I have from europe have a
    > label on them that says DIV-X video? Do all EURO dvd's have that????

    HA HA HAAAA HAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HA HA

    Thanks a lot. Your purpose has been achieved. Now disappear - forever.
    (Sorry to have given a serious answer.)

    Lothar, Mar 5, 2004