    of subscription?

    Thanks for any help.

    CM

    Claire M, Sep 18, 2005

  2. Claire M

    Martin² Guest

    There are few WIFI VOIP phones available, but none of them are cheap.
    Have look at www.square7.com but I wouldn't buy anything just yet,
    sometime "soon" there will be mobile phones with WIFI VoIP built in.

    Yes, you can (most of the time) make free calls with Voipbuster to UK
    landlines and most of the first / civilised world. You need to pay them one
    Euro to be able to make calls longer then 1 min.
    Works fairly well with their softphone, tricky to set up with Analog
    Telephone Adapters or VoIP routers.
    There is no support, except from folks here...
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Sep 18, 2005

  3. Claire M

    Claire M Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 02:00:59 +0100, "Martin²" <> wrote:

    >There are few WIFI VOIP phones available, but none of them are cheap.
    >Have look at www.square7.com but I wouldn't buy anything just yet,
    >sometime "soon" there will be mobile phones with WIFI VoIP built in.

    "www.square7.com could not be found" :-(

    The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
    because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
    there a (cheap) way around this?

    >Yes, you can (most of the time) make free calls with Voipbuster to UK
    >landlines and most of the first / civilised world. You need to pay them one
    >Euro to be able to make calls longer then 1 min.

    I've just read their webpage, and it looks as if I'd need to pay them
    5 Euro - is that right?

    >Works fairly well with their softphone, tricky to set up with Analog
    >Telephone Adapters or VoIP routers.

    Above my head :-(

    >There is no support, except from folks here...

    I'm glad you guys are here!

    >Regards,
    >Martin

    Thanks for your help.

    CM.

    Claire M, Sep 18, 2005
  4. On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <> wrote:

    >The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
    >because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
    >there a (cheap) way around this?

    stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
    ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.

    plug a DECT phone into the ATA

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 18, 2005
  5. Claire,

    For an easy out of the box solution that you will not have to do anything
    for have a look at www.vonage.co.uk

    Yes it costs £9.99pm but all you local/national calls are free and the
    service is very reliable. You also get inclusive of the cost voicemail,
    caller line identity, 1471, call waiting, call diversion etc.

    Vonage supply a free ATA and it really is plug and play!

    Regards,

    Paul

    Paul Westwell, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Claire M

    7 Guest

    Claire M wrote:

    > I'm new to all of this so go easy one me :)
    >
    > A couple of questions:
    >
    > Are there any cheap wireless (WiFi) phones available?

    They are not cheap - about 150 by the time you pay VAT and shipping.
    But I have noticed the more expensive ones 200+ pounds competing
    with pocket PCs with built in WiFi, so much so, its more worthwhile
    to buy the generic miniature PC than the WiFI VoIP phone.

    Doh!

    It just another symptom of a market lacking choices
    because POTS management mentality is putting brakes on
    new and innovative VoIP products.

    7, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Claire M

    Stephane M Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <> wrote:
    >
    >>The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
    >>because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
    >>there a (cheap) way around this?

    > stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
    > ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.
    >
    > plug a DECT phone into the ATA
    >
    > Phil
    > --
    > Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Iwould be also quite interested in Wireless Voip phone and unfortunately,
    www.square7.com doesn't work out

    Martin, are you sure of www.square7.com ??

    Stephane

    Stephane M, Sep 18, 2005
  8. On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 16:19:04 +0100, "Stephane M" <>
    wrote:

    >Iwould be also quite interested in Wireless Voip phone

    <http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ShopGroupID=77&CategoryID=319&ProductID=1948>
    <http://pulverinnovations.com/wisip.html>

    Square7 ? site seems down, see
    <http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/household/square7-cordless-skypelandline-phone-036326.php>
    for the product.

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 18, 2005
  9. Claire M

    Claire M Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 07:41:28 +0100, Phil Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:00:05 +0100, Claire M <> wrote:
    >
    >>The reason I ask about WiFI is because I'd like the freedom and
    >>because my wireless router/modem/gateway only has one (used) port. Is
    >>there a (cheap) way around this?

    >stick a £10 hub or switch on the one ethernet port and plug an
    >ethernet ATA (telephone adapter) into it along with its current user.
    >
    >plug a DECT phone into the ATA
    >
    >Phil

    So, if I get one of these (hope these links don't break):

    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2173&CategoryID=126&ShopGroupID=4

    And then one of these:

    http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2222&CategoryID=320&ShopGroupID=77

    I would be able to use them (with a DECT cordless phone) to access the
    VoipBuster service and make calls to landlines for free?

    Are the products above a good choice, or are there better (and
    cheaper) alternatives?

    Thanks for your help.

    CM.

    Claire M, Sep 19, 2005
  10. Claire M

    Martin² Guest

    Sorry, suare7.com seems to have disappeared, perhaps because their prices
    weren't competitive !
    But they did have biggest selection of WiFi VoIP phones.
    Zyxel and Senao are good but pricy. Pulver should be OK, but I can't get a
    price on it.
    The others on sq7 were unknown makes. They also had VoIP equipped PDA's.

    Claire, yes, the hub and Linksys PAP2 should work. The voipbuster settings
    are bit fickle,
    best to get them from somebody using PAP2.

    Can't say about the hub, but that's std item. The PAP2 is the cheapest ATA
    available, works too.
    Better alternative is WiFi router with VoIP ports(s), because they can be
    set to give priority to voice packets (QoS function). There are few
    available now, Draytek Vigor 2600VG, 2500V and Zyxel 2602HWL are the best,
    but not cheap. Otherwise Zoom X5V (mot sure it has QoS).
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Sep 19, 2005
  11. Claire M

    Martin² Guest

    What's the point of paying £9.99 p.m. to Vonage, you can get free calls on
    your landline from OneTel for £10.99 ? Cheaper then BT rental also
    available.
    BTW their ATA is locked to vonayourcash !
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², Sep 19, 2005
  12. Claire M

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-09-19, Claire M <> wrote:

    > So, if I get one of these (hope these links don't break):
    >
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2173&CategoryID=126&ShopGroupID=4
    >
    > And then one of these:
    >
    > http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=2222&CategoryID=320&ShopGroupID=77
    >
    > I would be able to use them (with a DECT cordless phone) to access the
    > VoipBuster service and make calls to landlines for free?
    >
    > Are the products above a good choice, or are there better (and
    > cheaper) alternatives?

    The switch will work out of the box. The ATA, a good choice at a good
    price, won't. If the documentation for it is lacking you should benefit
    by tracking down the SPA-3000 manual as the PAP is based apparently on
    Sipura's SPA-2000 product.

    Check whether an RJ11 to BT connector is provided. They are common
    enough to be sourced locally. If the DECT phone does not ring for an
    incoming call, a connector containing a ring capacitor is needed.

    Brian.

    Brian, Sep 19, 2005
  13. On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:41:54 +0100, Claire M <> wrote:

    >Are the products above a good choice, or are there better (and
    >cheaper) alternatives?

    look fine to me, the hub/switch is a commodity you might save a few
    quid elsewhere.

    The Linksys PAP2-NA is a solid piece of kit, you'll need an RJ11
    plug-BT socket adaptor and this may need to have a ring capacitor
    depending on the DECT phone. Solwise sell them and they are also at
    <https://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=679>

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Claire M

    Ad C Guest

    In article <432e1db9$0$22935$>,
    says...
    > What's the point of paying £9.99 p.m. to Vonage, you can get free callson
    > your landline from OneTel for £10.99 ? Cheaper then BT rental also
    > available.

    I think the same as well. If you only got cable and no BT line, then
    maybe it is worth paying the £9.99 per mounth, but tfor the amount of
    calls I make, then something like Sipgate that only charges per call
    would proberley be cheaper for me.
    but since I have got a land line I got to pay for the line rental anyway
    and using a different phone service provider than BT, my calls cost less
    than any VOIP.

    > BTW their ATA is locked to vonayourcash !

    I would not like that, I hate lock equipment, which is why I had my
    mobile phone unlocked as soon as I could.

    Ad C, Sep 19, 2005
  15. Phil Thompson wrote:
    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 01:41:54 +0100, Claire M <> wrote:
    >

    >>Are the products above a good choice, or are there better (and
    >>cheaper) alternatives?

    > look fine to me, the hub/switch is a commodity you might save a few
    > quid elsewhere.
    >
    > The Linksys PAP2-NA is a solid piece of kit, you'll need an RJ11
    > plug-BT socket adaptor and this may need to have a ring capacitor
    > depending on the DECT phone. Solwise sell them and they are also at
    > <https://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=679>

    Or of course a cheaper option is to use the RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable that
    comes with the PAP2, these will work with most phones/bases.

    I haven't found a phone yet that requires a ringing capacitor connected
    to either my Cisco 186 or my PAP2 (both of which have been solid as a
    rock), I just figured that it was handled internally (which appears to
    be the case with the Zoom X5V which is probably a better bet if you use
    ADSL and only require one line, since it will handle all the packet
    prioritisation itself, can mix the service with the house line in much
    the same way as the sipura and only costs 37.50 inc. VAT at the moment
    (ebuyer: 62676)).

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 19, 2005
  16. Claire M

    Brian Guest

    On 2005-09-19, Thomas Rankin <> wrote:

    > I haven't found a phone yet that requires a ringing capacitor connected
    > to either my Cisco 186 or my PAP2 (both of which have been solid as a
    > rock), I just figured that it was handled internally (which appears to
    > be the case with the Zoom X5V which is probably a better bet if you use
    > ADSL and only require one line, since it will handle all the packet
    > prioritisation itself, can mix the service with the house line in much
    > the same way as the sipura and only costs 37.50 inc. VAT at the moment
    > (ebuyer: 62676)).

    A Vanguard 10 requires a ringing capacitor but perhaps there wouldn't be
    any problem with a more modern phone or a DECT phone. Altering the
    various FXS Port settings and the Ring Voltage on the SPA-2000 had no
    effect. I've never had cause to revisit this since solving the problem
    with a suitable connector so there could be an internal solution which I
    didn't discover at the time.

    Brian.

    Brian, Sep 19, 2005
  17. On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:35:48 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    <> wrote:

    >Or of course a cheaper option is to use the RJ-11 to RJ-11 cable that
    >comes with the PAP2, these will work with most phones/bases.

    "most" is a dangerous assumption, the RJ11 to BT cables on some of my
    phones are wired with the signal on a different pair of pins to the
    RJ11 standard. My PAP2 came without an RJ11 cable and it wasn't listed
    on the literature.

    >I haven't found a phone yet that requires a ringing capacitor connected
    >to either my Cisco 186 or my PAP2 (both of which have been solid as a
    >rock), I just figured that it was handled internally

    I found two out of three that needed a ring capacitor, I used an ADSL
    microfilter. It isn't done internally and TBH I wouldn't expect it to
    be. There are plenty of phones around that don't need it

    Phil
    --
    Remember - Global Warming is only a weather forecast :)

    Phil Thompson, Sep 19, 2005
  18. Claire M

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Phil Thompson" <> wrote in
    message news:
    > On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:35:48 GMT, Thomas Rankin
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > Or of course a cheaper option is to use the RJ-11 to
    > > RJ-11 cable that comes with the PAP2, these will work
    > > with most phones/bases.

    > "most" is a dangerous assumption, the RJ11 to BT cables
    > on some of my phones are wired with the signal on a
    > different pair of pins to the RJ11 standard. My PAP2 came
    > without an RJ11 cable and it wasn't listed on the
    > literature.
    >
    > > I haven't found a phone yet that requires a ringing
    > > capacitor connected to either my Cisco 186 or my PAP2
    > > (both of which have been solid as a rock), I just
    > > figured that it was handled internally

    > I found two out of three that needed a ring capacitor, I
    > used an ADSL microfilter. It isn't done internally and
    > TBH I wouldn't expect it to be. There are plenty of
    > phones around that don't need it
    >
    > Phil

    My DECT phones don't need it but all the normal corded ones do, including
    the BT Converse 2025 which is a relatively modern phone (well it's still
    on sale, anyway..!)

    In any case, every ATA I've ever bought has had an RJ11<>BT adaptor with
    ringing capacitor included in the box. With the exception of the Sipura
    2000 I bought in the US of course, but the adaptors are freely available
    and cheap.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 19, 2005
  19. Ivor Jones wrote:

    > My DECT phones don't need it but all the normal corded ones do, including
    > the BT Converse 2025 which is a relatively modern phone (well it's still
    > on sale, anyway..!)
    >
    > In any case, every ATA I've ever bought has had an RJ11<>BT adaptor with
    > ringing capacitor included in the box. With the exception of the Sipura
    > 2000 I bought in the US of course, but the adaptors are freely available
    > and cheap.

    Weird, I've got a pair of cheap (reduced to £3 in asda) handsets that
    don't require them, mind you they are plugged into the 186.

    The PAP2 doesn't have an adapter in the box (neither did the 186), mind
    you the Zoom X5V did.

    Dows anyone know of a cheap source for analogue handsets that support CLID?

    Thomas Rankin, Sep 19, 2005