    I have a practical joke I wish to play on some of my collegues.

    NZed

    ---

    NZed, Aug 6, 2004

  2. In article <aqJQc.2061$>,
    says...

    Is that what you call using www.asb-bank.co.nz or
    www.bankofnewzealand.co.nz tricks ?? ;)

    wogers nemesis, Aug 6, 2004

  3. NZed

    John Guest

    Yes if you put abc.co.nz into a frame, but you need to own the xyz.co.nz
    domain.

    John, Aug 6, 2004
  4. NZed

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:52:47 +1200, in message
    <aqJQc.2061$>, NZed wrote:

    > Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    > www.abc.co.nz
    > www.xyz.co.nz

    That's what many phishing scams do, such as those which try to get
    you to reveal your e-banking password. If you want examples, all
    you need to do is look at the phishing scam emails which you have
    received.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
    "Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."

    Ralph Fox, Aug 6, 2004
  5. NZed

    Richard Guest

    NZed wrote:

    > Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    > www.abc.co.nz
    > www.xyz.co.nz
    > The same for an email address to match.
    > I have a practical joke I wish to play on some of my collegues.

    how about a hosts file on the machine with the IP address of your web host?

    Richard, Aug 6, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    -echo.invalid says...
    > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:52:47 +1200, in message
    > <aqJQc.2061$>, NZed wrote:
    >
    > > Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    > > www.abc.co.nz
    > > www.xyz.co.nz

    > That's what many phishing scams do, such as those which try to get
    > you to reveal your e-banking password. If you want examples, all
    > you need to do is look at the phishing scam emails which you have
    > received.

    Except that this has been addressed in browsers. It's a little harder to
    do now.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 6, 2004
  7. NZed

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 00:38:00 +1200, in message
    <>, Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > -echo.invalid says...
    > > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:52:47 +1200, in message
    > > <aqJQc.2061$>, NZed wrote:
    > >
    > > > Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    > > > www.abc.co.nz
    > > > www.xyz.co.nz

    > > That's what many phishing scams do, such as those which try to get
    > > you to reveal your e-banking password. If you want examples, all
    > > you need to do is look at the phishing scam emails which you have
    > > received.

    > Except that this has been addressed in browsers. It's a little harder to
    > do now.

    1. Indeed so. The OP should be looking at more recent examples
    of these phishing scams. Older examples might no longer
    work in updated browsers.

    2. Another option for the OP is to register a similar domain
    to www.xyz.co.nz, and hope people don't realize that it isn't
    the real one.

    An example of similar dodgy goings on, from
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3577866 ,
    which you originally quoted here in

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Politics is the art of getting power and
    privilege without possessing merit.

    Ralph Fox, Aug 6, 2004
  8. NZed

    Collector Guest

    Patrick Dunford said the following on 7/08/2004 00:38:
    > In article <>,
    > -echo.invalid says...
    >
    >>On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 22:52:47 +1200, in message
    >><aqJQc.2061$>, NZed wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    >>>www.abc.co.nz
    >>>www.xyz.co.nz

    >>That's what many phishing scams do, such as those which try to get
    >>you to reveal your e-banking password. If you want examples, all
    >>you need to do is look at the phishing scam emails which you have
    >>received.

    > Except that this has been addressed in browsers. It's a little harder to
    > do now.

    Not if the dickheads are using IE and have not patched it.

    Also the url exploit (forget what they call it) is the same case eg
    or something similar

    Collector, Aug 7, 2004
  9. NZed

    Collector Guest

    Richard said the following on 6/08/2004 23:59:

    > NZed wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to disguise my website address ..ie change it from eg
    >> www.abc.co.nz
    >> www.xyz.co.nz
    >> The same for an email address to match.
    >> I have a practical joke I wish to play on some of my collegues.

    > how about a hosts file on the machine with the IP address of your web host?

    Been there done that for a client once, distributed a hosts file
    pointing to the inhouse web server for a range of sites, porn,
    competitors and employment sites. Caused more then a couple of almost
    heart attacks for employees till it became obivous that it had been done.
    I changed it eventually to a redirect by the proxy server since that
    kept the end user who had a little knowledge changing the host file to
    beat it.

    BTW The client requested the facility.

    Collector, Aug 7, 2004
  10. NZed

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:39:33 +0000, Ralph Fox wrote:

    > That's what many phishing scams do, such as those which try to get
    > you to reveal your e-banking password.

    Phishing is to try and get one to go to the false web site...

    Gordon, Aug 7, 2004