    The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
    whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.

    Any thoughts?

    BNiizawa, Apr 27, 2005

  2. BNiizawa

    paul Guest

    Looks like pink dust on the sensor! No really that looks like dust on
    the sensor. Is it more visible at high f-stop number?

    paul, Apr 27, 2005

  3. BNiizawa wrote:
    []
    > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/whitewall.jpg
    >
    > The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
    > whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.

    A burn in the colour filter in front of the sensor due to too much
    exposure to the sun, would be my first suggestion.

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 27, 2005
  4. BNiizawa

    Ivor Floppy Guest

    "BNiizawa" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
    > much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
    > support, but have not heard back.
    >
    > I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
    > colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
    > seen here:
    >
    > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/whitewall.jpg
    >
    > The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
    > whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    could be (or of been) a spot of moisture on the IR filter infront of the CCD
    Ivor Floppy, Apr 27, 2005
  5. BNiizawa

    BNiizawa Guest

    On Apr 27 2005 10:25 AM, paul wrote:

    > Looks like pink dust on the sensor! No really that looks like dust on
    > the sensor. Is it more visible at high f-stop number?

    Hmm...not sure, I'll give that a shot when I get home.

    BNiizawa, Apr 27, 2005
  6. BNiizawa wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
    > much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
    > support, but have not heard back.
    >
    > I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
    > colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
    > seen here:
    >
    > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/whitewall.jpg
    >
    > The spot is at the top left of the image. This appears regardless of
    > whether I've used the flash, and is not sensitive to the zoom level.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    > : the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com

    This appears to be a flaw in the sensor. Can you determine when it
    first appeared? Knowing what kind of pictures you were taking at that
    time would help. As David Taylor wrote, exposure to the sun could
    certainly do damage to the sensor, though I would expect it to be to the
    CCD itself. The fact that it is colored suggests that if it were
    damaged by light, the light could have been more blue-green, leaving
    behind functioning pixels that result in a pink color when exposed to
    white light. Are you ever around lasers, especially green laser
    pointers? Alternatively,and more likely, the green-sensitive pixels are
    in an absolute sense more sensitive to light and absorb more energy and
    thus are damaged more effectively. In this case the sun was a likely
    culprit.

    It would be interesting to expose to uniform red, green,and blue pieces
    of paper (best of all without changing the standard white balance). I
    predict that on the green and/or blue paper exposures, the spot will be
    much more pronounced, while it could be harder to see on the red paper.
    It definitely is not anything to do with the lens or shutter, and if
    it's software, it's incredibly bizarre. I suppose a transfer register
    could be damaged, but the colored-paper test will rule that out. If the
    colored paper test goes as I suggest, then I believe the only way you
    could fix this is with a new sensor. That fix would cost more than a
    new camera with more capability that this camera, assuming they would
    even be be willing to fix it.

    Hope this helps.

    Joe
    Joseph Miller, Apr 27, 2005
  7. BNiizawa

    BNiizawa Guest

    On Apr 27 2005 12:33 PM, Joseph Miller wrote:

    > If the colored paper test goes as I suggest, then I believe the only way you
    > could fix this is with a new sensor. That fix would cost more than a
    > new camera with more capability that this camera, assuming they would
    > even be be willing to fix it.

    I had a feeling this might be the case. :-( Thanks for the suggestion - I
    should be able to dig up some colored paper and give this a shot.

    -----
    BNiizawa, Apr 27, 2005
  8. BNiizawa

    Mark² Guest

    "BNiizawa" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
    > much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
    > support, but have not heard back.
    >
    > I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
    > colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
    > seen here:
    >
    > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/whitewall.jpg

    If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
    resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
    something physically on your sensor.

    That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.
    Mark², Apr 28, 2005
  9. BNiizawa

    BNiizawa Guest

    On Apr 27 2005 10:29 PM, Mark² wrote:

    > "BNiizawa" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I've posted this on the forums at dpreview as well, but have not gotten
    > > much in the way of responses. I've also sent an example to Olympus' tech
    > > support, but have not heard back.
    > >
    > > I have an older camera (Oly C3040Z). Recently, I started noticing a small
    > > colored spot towards the top left of any picture I take. An example can be
    > > seen here:
    > >
    > > http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/whitewall.jpg

    > If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
    > resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
    > something physically on your sensor.
    >
    > That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.

    No prob...it'll be up sometime tomorrow (4/29).

    BNiizawa, Apr 28, 2005
  10. BNiizawa

    BNiizawa Guest

    On Apr 27 2005 10:29 PM, Mark² wrote:

    > If you could please post a crop of that area of the photo at FULL
    > resolution, it would be possible to tell whether it's a sensor flaw vs.
    > something physically on your sensor.
    >
    > That looks like a sensor flaw, but the 100% crop would help.

    OK, here's another shot taken at max resolution and cropped:

    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/offTopic2p2/spot.jpg

    -------
    BNiizawa, Apr 29, 2005