Can you check Xtra web mail without creating a Yahoo identity?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by John S, Jan 11, 2010.

  1. John S

    John S Guest

    I've spent about an hour trying to check for email via web mail on an xtra
    account that I have authorised access to.

    Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
    linked to that email address. Am I right?

    I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
    with Yahoo and it became more difficult. I seem to remember you had to
    hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.

    Now, I find on clicking the "email" link on the xtra homepage, I get
    prompted to put in user name and password, which are accepted OK, but that
    doesn't take me to the web mail page: it takes me to a page requiring me to
    register for a Yahoo identity (which I don't particularly want to do).

    I've trawled extensively through various links and help pages on the
    yahoo/xtra site, but always come up against the same roadblock - the
    registration page to create a Yahoo identity.

    Any simple way round this, or must I give in and create a Yahoo identity
    (or I could set up an account in a mail client I suppose, but would prefer
    to use web mail for this account).

    Cheers,

    John S
    John S, Jan 11, 2010

  2. In message <>, Crash wrote:

    > The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra.

    So which will start the bigger flamewar: telling Windows/Linux users to
    switch to Linux/Windows, or telling Xtra/SomeOtherISP users to switch to
    SomeOtherISP/Xtra?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 11, 2010

  3. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:06:17 +1300, Crash <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra. You can do
    >this by setting up using a new ISP - look here:
    >http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/internet-providers.

    "Sorry, this page is only available to consumer.org.nz members.
    Members please login."
    Donchano, Jan 11, 2010
  4. John S

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:22:19 +1300, Donchano
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:06:17 +1300, Crash <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >
    >>The simplest way around this problem is to ditch Xtra. You can do
    >>this by setting up using a new ISP - look here:
    >>http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/internet-providers.

    >"Sorry, this page is only available to consumer.org.nz members.
    >Members please login."

    BTW - they want NZD85.00 for a 12 month *online* subscription. Which
    is why I dumped them two years ago.
    Donchano, Jan 11, 2010
  5. John S

    Simon Guest

    On Jan 11, 9:19 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > So which will start the bigger flamewar: telling Windows/Linux users to
    > switch to Linux/Windows, or telling Xtra/SomeOtherISP users to switch to
    > SomeOtherISP/Xtra?

    Since when has changing ISP become such a religious experience as
    changing operating system?
    Simon, Jan 11, 2010
  6. John S

    Simon Guest

    On Jan 11, 9:29 pm, Donchano <> wrote:
    > BTW - they want NZD85.00 for a 12 month *online* subscription. Which
    > is why I dumped them two years ago.

    Or access with a paid Consumer magazine subscription.
    Simon, Jan 11, 2010
  7. John S

    Ted Guest

    On Jan 11, 7:52 pm, John S <> wrote:
    > I've spent about an hour trying to check for email via web mail on an xtra
    > account that I have authorised access to.
    >
    > Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
    > linked to that email address.  Am I right?
    >
    > I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
    > with Yahoo and it became more difficult.  I seem to remember you had to
    > hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.
    >
    > Now, I find on clicking the "email" link on the xtra homepage, I get
    > prompted to put in user name and password, which are accepted OK, but that
    > doesn't take me to the web mail page: it takes me to a page requiring me to
    > register for a Yahoo identity (which I don't particularly want to do).
    >
    > I've trawled extensively through various links and help pages on the
    > yahoo/xtra site, but always come up against the same roadblock - the
    > registration page to create a Yahoo identity.
    >
    > Any simple way round this, or must I give in and create a Yahoo identity
    > (or I could set up an account in a mail client I suppose, but would prefer
    > to use web mail for this account).
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > John S

    Try setting up an SMTP mail program to get mail from pop3.xtra.co.nz
    Ted, Jan 11, 2010
  8. John S

    Matty F Guest

    On Jan 11, 7:52 pm, John S <> wrote:

    > Can't do it now, it seems without first signing up for a yahoo identity
    > linked to that email address. Am I right?
    >
    > I used to be able to do this without problems, then xtra did their deal
    > with Yahoo and it became more difficult. I seem to remember you had to
    > hunt for a link to their "Classic" email page, then all would be OK.

    I manage to get xtra's webmail without a Yahoo id. I can't remember
    how I did it but I did send lots of stroppy emails to xtra when they
    changed their email system to work only with IE or Firefox when I was
    using Opera because IE and Firefox didn't bloody work. Unfortunately
    most ISPs lack technical expertise of any kind, although xtra were
    quite helpful recently.
    Matty F, Jan 13, 2010
  9. John S

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 03:02:58 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    > although xtra were quite helpful
    > recently.

    I'm glad you qualified that with the word "recently". :)

    Sweetpea, Jan 14, 2010