Can Wireless Security and VPN access Coexist on SBS 2003?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ernie, Sep 14, 2005.

  1. Ernie

    Ernie Guest

    I was trying to get the wireless solution described as "Securing Wireless
    LANs with PEAP and Passwords" to work as described in this article
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/cryptographyetc/peap_0.mspx

    Access request for user sergiofonseca was discarded.
    Fully-Qualified-User-Name = xxx.local/MyBusiness/Users/SBSUsers/Sergio
    Fonseca
    NAS-IP-Address = 192.168.16.4
    NAS-Identifier = default
    Called-Station-Identifier = <not present>
    Calling-Station-Identifier = 0x-0x-ex-8x-dx-ax
    Client-Friendly-Name = router
    Client-IP-Address = 192.168.16.4
    NAS-Port-Type = Wireless - IEEE 802.11
    NAS-Port = 0
    Proxy-Policy-Name = Use Windows authentication for all users
    Authentication-Provider = Windows
    Authentication-Server = <undetermined>
    Reason-Code = 9
    Reason = The request was discarded by a third-party extension DLL file.

    To resolve this issue I followed the instructions provided by Carl DaVault
    [MSFT] which follows:

    So... it's a bug in ISA or (more likely) the VPN plugin (which didn't expect
    packets from an AP as opposed to a more VPN-centric NAS). Here's the
    workaround. I've asked for a KB on this issue, but it may take a while to
    get thru the release process.

    You might need to specify CCS instead of a specific CCS like CCS001. Sorry I
    don't have a machine to try this, but you get the idea - remove any
    vpnplgin.dll-related entries for any AuthorizationDLLs values - you can
    probably just rename the key to something like DELETEMEAuthorizationDLLs, if
    you want to be more conservative than actually deleting the key.

    Remove the following registry key:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\AuthSrv\Parameters]
    "AuthorizationDLLs"="C:\Program Files\Microsoft ISA Server\vpnplgin.dll"
    Reboot the server..

    THIS SOLVED MY PROBLEM WITH THE WIRELESS, NO MORE IAS ERRORS!

    However, now my VPN connections no longer work. On the client side I get
    the following:

    The connection attempt failed because your computer and the remote computer
    could not agree on PPP control protocols. (Error 720) For customized
    troubleshooting information for this connection, click Help.

    On the Server side I get:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: RemoteAccess
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20050
    Date: 9/14/2005
    Time: 8:40:49 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SBSERVER
    The user xxxxxxx\dwfalk connected to port VPN4-4 has been disconnected
    because no network protocols were successfully negotiated.

    Can someone help me to have Wireless Security and VPN access too?

    Ernie Cox
    Ernie, Sep 14, 2005