    cores simultanuously. Is it true?

    Thanks in advance for the help.

    gm
    tech support, Dec 31, 2007

  2. tech support

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:23:11 -0500, tech support wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I just bought a new computer. AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Dual Core 2.6G on the MB
    >ASUS M2A-VM. Someone told me that Win XP does not know how to use the both

    Ask the place you bought it from.

    You can set the affinity for a running app.

    You didn't mention which ver of XP.

    XP Home 1 core is supported.

    XP Pro supports 1

    >cores simultanuously. Is it true?

    It's suspected you mean what apps run on multi core. OS support is 1
    thing apps not having the ability to run on 2 is another.

    >Thanks in advance for the help.

    Like this sort of help

    www.google.com
    windows xp multi processor

    Results 1 - 10 of about 4,930,000 English pages for
    windows xp multi processor
    .. (0.27 seconds)

    That looks easy, then you get -

    Multicore Processor Licensing
    A processor containing multiple cores, leveraging its ability to execute
    multiple tasks, ... Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.
    www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx - 12k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    - oh and these as well as many more,

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    Compare the features of Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP
    Professional. ... Scalable processor support – up to two-way
    multi-processor support. ...
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx - 20k - Cached -
    Similar pages
    [ More results from www.microsoft.com ]

    Does XP support multiple processor cores?
    While Windows XP Home does not support more than one physical processor,
    there's a lot of confusion about whether or not it supports multiple
    processor ...
    http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1189223,00.html
    - 47k - Cached - Similar pages

    Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are ...
    Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that
    support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes
    computers that ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256 - Similar pages

    Me
    why?, Dec 31, 2007

  3. tech support

    tech support Guest

    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:23:11 -0500, tech support wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I just bought a new computer. AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Dual Core 2.6G on the MB
    >>ASUS M2A-VM. Someone told me that Win XP does not know how to use the
    >>both

    > Ask the place you bought it from.
    >
    > You can set the affinity for a running app.
    >
    > You didn't mention which ver of XP.
    >
    > XP Home 1 core is supported.
    >
    > XP Pro supports 1
    >
    >>cores simultanuously. Is it true?

    > It's suspected you mean what apps run on multi core. OS support is 1
    > thing apps not having the ability to run on 2 is another.
    >
    >>Thanks in advance for the help.

    > Like this sort of help
    >
    > www.google.com
    > windows xp multi processor
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 4,930,000 English pages for
    > windows xp multi processor
    > . (0.27 seconds)
    >

    > That looks easy, then you get -
    >
    > Multicore Processor Licensing
    > A processor containing multiple cores, leveraging its ability to execute
    > multiple tasks, ... Microsoft Windows XP Home supports one processor.
    > www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/multicore.mspx - 12k - Cached -
    > Similar pages
    >
    > - oh and these as well as many more,
    >
    > Windows XP Comparison Guide
    > Compare the features of Windows XP Home Edition and Windows XP
    > Professional. ... Scalable processor support - up to two-way
    > multi-processor support. ...
    > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/choosing2.mspx - 20k - Cached -
    > Similar pages
    > [ More results from www.microsoft.com ]
    >
    > Does XP support multiple processor cores?
    > While Windows XP Home does not support more than one physical processor,
    > there's a lot of confusion about whether or not it supports multiple
    > processor ...
    > http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1189223,00.html
    > - 47k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    > Computers that are running Windows XP Service Pack 2 and that are ...
    > Windows XP SP2 is required on computers that have multiple CPUs that
    > support ACPI processor performance states. This requirement includes
    > computers that ...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256 - Similar pages
    >

    > Me

    Thank you for the info. From the link about confusion seems to follow that
    my processr is supported even by XP Home which is a good new to me. : (
    tech support, Dec 31, 2007
  4. tech support

    Brian Cryer Guest

    "tech support" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just bought a new computer. AMD Athlon X2 5000+ Dual Core 2.6G on the MB
    > ASUS M2A-VM. Someone told me that Win XP does not know how to use the
    > both cores simultanuously. Is it true?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help.

    The PC I have is a dual core (Intel), and XP Pro makes use of both cores.
    Don't know about XP Home.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cyrer.co.uk/brian