Can Win server and Win workstation co-exist on same PC?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by me63401@privacy.net, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Can Win 2003 server software...... and Win XP Pro
    workstation software..... co -exist on the same PC?

    Supposing a person wanted to buy a Dell Precision
    workstation.... and create a small "training" network
    at home with his existing Dell 4100 pc......two PCs
    total.

    Could he install server software on the Precision and
    use it as a server.... as well as keep Win XP Pro on it
    to use it as a cad station? And have it do both
    functions at same time?

    I will I need a true out and out server...... with ONLY
    server software on it.... doing nothing else but BEING
    a server? And then hang the Precision and 4100 off it?

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003

  2. Billy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Can Win 2003 server software...... and Win XP Pro
    > workstation software..... co -exist on the same PC?

    Sure they can dual-boot.

    > Supposing a person wanted to buy a Dell Precision
    > workstation.... and create a small "training" network
    > at home with his existing Dell 4100 pc......two PCs
    > total.
    >
    > Could he install server software on the Precision and
    > use it as a server.... as well as keep Win XP Pro on it
    > to use it as a cad station? And have it do both
    > functions at same time?

    You can set it up to be the server, but you can not have both systems
    booted at the same time. Will the server demand be such that a serious
    resource drain will exist? Thus not being able to run the CAD from
    either a 4100 or on the server? Does your ISP allow the setup of the
    server externally? Is this only going to act as a file/print server and
    gateway to shared internet access?

    Billy, Oct 15, 2003

  3. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > Can Win 2003 server software...... and Win XP Pro
    > workstation software..... co -exist on the same PC?

    Yes. But not like you probably think.

    > Supposing a person wanted to buy a Dell Precision
    > workstation.... and create a small "training" network
    > at home with his existing Dell 4100 pc......two PCs
    > total.
    >
    > Could he install server software on the Precision and
    > use it as a server.... as well as keep Win XP Pro on it
    > to use it as a cad station? And have it do both
    > functions at same time?
    >
    > I will I need a true out and out server...... with ONLY
    > server software on it.... doing nothing else but BEING
    > a server? And then hang the Precision and 4100 off it?

    That would be the easiest, yes. HOWEVER - Google for "VMWare" and
    see what pops out.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 15, 2003
  4. Guest

    >You can set it up to be the server, but you can not have both systems
    >booted at the same time. Will the server demand be such that a serious
    >resource drain will exist? Thus not being able to run the CAD from
    >either a 4100 or on the server? Does your ISP allow the setup of the
    >server externally? Is this only going to act as a file/print server and
    >gateway to shared internet access?

    OK....

    Let me ask you this....

    an I put server software on the cad machine....and then
    install all my CAD software... so that I can use it as
    a workstation.... as well as a server to my other PCs?

    Im wanting to setup a test lab to train for MCSE
    certification..... but have never messed with networks
    so don't know if regular applications can be installed
    on server software and run..... as well as doing all
    the server functions.

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003
  5. Guest

    >Howdy!

    Hi Ralph!

    See my other post.... maybe I didn't make myself clear
    on my original post abt what Im trying to do.

    Basically.... Im wondering if one can install server
    software on a PC... AND... install all my reg apps such
    as Autocad, etc

    Bottom line... can I use a new PC as a server and a
    workstation BOTh at same time but only have the server
    software installed on the PC?

    Im wanting to install Exchange server and Win 2003
    server software.... and teach myself how to
    "administrate" such a system.

    I just am not clear if I can install reg apps such as
    Autocad and MS Office on the Win 2003 software

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003
  6. Billy Guest

    Sure, Set up your server and then add the programs you need. This should
    not create problems. Normally in a business environment the server would
    be a dedicated server. For experience/practice you'll be OK.

    Billy, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Guest

    >Sure, Set up your server and then add the programs you need. This should
    >not create problems. Normally in a business environment the server would
    >be a dedicated server. For experience/practice you'll be OK.

    OK great!

    Now another question....

    Would it be possible to use Win XP Pro as a "server"?
    Wont it allow a small fixed amt of users to access it?

    If yes on that..... Im assuming that even if I could
    use Win XP Pro workstation software as "server
    software"..... I wouild be defeating my goals of
    learning to administrate a true server such as Win 2003
    server? Right?

    I mean..... no way can I instal Exchange server on
    workstation Win XP Pr?

    John
    , Oct 15, 2003
  8. Billy Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/sysreqs/2003.asp
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/default.mspx
    Free download of 2003 Server (180 day eval).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/evalkit.mspx

    Billy, Oct 15, 2003
  9. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > >Howdy!

    > Hi Ralph!
    >
    > See my other post.... maybe I didn't make myself clear
    > on my original post abt what Im trying to do.
    >
    > Basically.... Im wondering if one can install server
    > software on a PC... AND... install all my reg apps such
    > as Autocad, etc

    Yes. But for the same horsepower, AutoCAD et al will run slower
    under Server 2003 than under XP Pro (all else being the same).

    > Bottom line... can I use a new PC as a server and a
    > workstation BOTh at same time but only have the server
    > software installed on the PC?

    Mmmm ... Again, as Billy pointed out, you usually can. But, also as
    he pointed out, in a real environment, it's not a good idea.

    But to consider - I've got OpenOffice and a boatload of OTHER apps
    on this machine - which is running 2K Server, for somewhat the same reasons
    you're talking about.

    > Im wanting to install Exchange server and Win 2003
    > server software.... and teach myself how to
    > "administrate" such a system.

    Sure. Gotta practice.

    > I just am not clear if I can install reg apps such as
    > Autocad and MS Office on the Win 2003 software

    Again, sure. But do be aware that if something breaks, it could be
    due to bad assumptions on the part of, say, AutoCAD or Office XP or
    MediaPlayer or BSPlayer or ... I think you get the idea.

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Guest

    > Yes. But for the same horsepower, AutoCAD et al will run slower
    >under Server 2003 than under XP Pro (all else being the same).

    OK

    But why is that?

    Is it cause that Win server software is doing more
    "things" behind the scenes than"workstation" would be?

    John
    , Oct 16, 2003
  11. Howdy!

    <> wrote in message
    > > Yes. But for the same horsepower, AutoCAD et al will run slower
    > >under Server 2003 than under XP Pro (all else being the same).

    > OK
    >
    > But why is that?
    >
    > Is it cause that Win server software is doing more
    > "things" behind the scenes than"workstation" would be?

    Yep. Consider two cars with identical engines. One has AC and
    power everything, the other is basically stripped.

    Guess which one runs faster? <B-)

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Oct 16, 2003