    $350.00.
    Thanks!

    maria

    maria, Nov 3, 2006

  2. maria

    JimKramer Guest

    maria wrote:
    > I have been reading a lot on this, but I have not gotten a straight
    > answer to my question: can we use any IR filters on a Sony DSC-F828? I
    > don't mean night shots, and I don't want to IR-modify my camrera for
    > $350.00.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > maria

    Yes, you can.

    Jim

    JimKramer, Nov 3, 2006

  3. maria

    maria Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 09:42:01 -0800, "JimKramer" <> wrote:

    >maria wrote:
    >> I have been reading a lot on this, but I have not gotten a straight
    >> answer to my question: can we use any IR filters on a Sony DSC-F828? I
    >> don't mean night shots, and I don't want to IR-modify my camrera for
    >> $350.00.
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> maria

    >Yes, you can.
    >
    >Jim

    Come on, Jim. I know you are capable of more intelligent responses.
    Obviously, I am interested in knowing which filters, if any, work with
    the F828. What do you think I asked? Can I screw in a filter onto the
    F828?

    maria

    maria, Nov 3, 2006
  4. maria

    Scott W Guest

    maria wrote:
    > On 3 Nov 2006 09:42:01 -0800, "JimKramer" <> wrote:
    >
    > >maria wrote:
    > >> I have been reading a lot on this, but I have not gotten a straight
    > >> answer to my question: can we use any IR filters on a Sony DSC-F828? I
    > >> don't mean night shots, and I don't want to IR-modify my camrera for
    > >> $350.00.
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> maria

    > >Yes, you can.
    > >
    > >Jim

    > Come on, Jim. I know you are capable of more intelligent responses.
    > Obviously, I am interested in knowing which filters, if any, work with
    > the F828. What do you think I asked? Can I screw in a filter onto the
    > F828?
    >
    > maria

    The F828 should go to about 950nm, this is pretty long so just about
    any IR filter should work fine.

    Scott

    Scott W, Nov 3, 2006
  5. maria

    JimKramer Guest

    maria wrote:
    > On 3 Nov 2006 09:42:01 -0800, "JimKramer" <> wrote:
    >
    > >maria wrote:
    > >> I have been reading a lot on this, but I have not gotten a straight
    > >> answer to my question: can we use any IR filters on a Sony DSC-F828? I
    > >> don't mean night shots, and I don't want to IR-modify my camrera for
    > >> $350.00.
    > >> Thanks!
    > >>
    > >> maria

    > >Yes, you can.
    > >
    > >Jim

    > Come on, Jim. I know you are capable of more intelligent responses.
    > Obviously, I am interested in knowing which filters, if any, work with
    > the F828. What do you think I asked? Can I screw in a filter onto the
    > F828?
    >
    > maria

    I'm so sorry. I was not feeling particularly intelligent when I
    answered your yes/no question with a simple yes/no answer.

    If you have a 58mm IR filter it will fit on the F828. The only
    downside will be the exposure time limit of 30 seconds. So use it on
    bright sunny days. Make sure the lens is not exposed to extraneous
    light. The viewfinder/LCD will let you see even long exposures, much
    better than guestimating with a DSLR.

    Everything becomes a lovely purple color, you can to a gray scale
    conversion or what I've come to like is the sepia filter effect in
    camera.

    Here are some test shots I did when I started to play with it. (about
    1/2 MB) Nothing I consider spectacular, but it will give you an idea
    of what it will do.

    http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/IR/ir_on_a_sony_828.htm

    JimKramer, Nov 3, 2006
  6. maria

    maria Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 12:47:07 -0800, "JimKramer" <> wrote:

    >maria wrote:

    >> >Yes, you can.
    >> >
    >> >Jim

    >> Come on, Jim. I know you are capable of more intelligent responses.
    >> Obviously, I am interested in knowing which filters, if any, work with
    >> the F828. What do you think I asked? Can I screw in a filter onto the
    >> F828?
    >>
    >> maria

    >I'm so sorry. I was not feeling particularly intelligent when I
    >answered your yes/no question with a simple yes/no answer.
    >
    >If you have a 58mm IR filter it will fit on the F828. The only
    >downside will be the exposure time limit of 30 seconds. So use it on
    >bright sunny days. Make sure the lens is not exposed to extraneous
    >light. The viewfinder/LCD will let you see even long exposures, much
    >better than guestimating with a DSLR.
    >
    >Everything becomes a lovely purple color, you can to a gray scale
    >conversion or what I've come to like is the sepia filter effect in
    >camera.
    >
    >Here are some test shots I did when I started to play with it. (about
    >1/2 MB) Nothing I consider spectacular, but it will give you an idea
    >of what it will do.
    >
    >http://www.jlkramer.net/Pictures/IR/ir_on_a_sony_828.htm

    Thank you very much Jim. I appreciate your help and your
    great samples.

    With best regards,

    maria

    maria, Nov 4, 2006
  7. maria wrote:
    > I have been reading a lot on this, but I have not gotten a straight
    > answer to my question: can we use any IR filters on a Sony DSC-F828? I
    > don't mean night shots, and I don't want to IR-modify my camrera for
    > $350.00.
    > Thanks!
    >
    > maria

    With 828 in NightShot mode, no modification, I've used an R72 (89B) type
    filter. BUT! You're limited to f/2-something, something and no faster
    shutter speed than 1/30 second. So in bright sunlight, I gotta add an ND
    filter or two, taking away the wide angle due to vignetting. (Deeper IR
    filters may do better, and a green works better than an ND at IR
    wavelengths.)

    I actually miss the 717, un-modded NightShot capable of 1/60 second
    exposures. Not as much additional ND filtering needed. 717 also had odd
    visible light leak for interesting effects. 828 makes mostly
    "monochrome" IR.

    Mojo Eye II (R72, ND filters on 828, processed):
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/tuscaloosa_ir.php

    Mojo Eye (R72, ND filters on 717, processed):
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/3to1.php

    Mojo Eye with no IR filter, just The Blob (red & green filters on 717,
    processed):
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/au_barn_ir00.php

    Both accept 58mm filters.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net