    Can we do voip with an IP that has a 600 ms ping delay ?
    The delay is very stable at 600 ms but it's a lot, no ?

    Thanks for your help
    jm, Sep 4, 2008

  2. In article <>,
    Andy Burns <> wrote:
    >On 04/09/2008 10:08, jm wrote:
    >
    >> Can we do voip with an IP that has a 600 ms ping delay ?
    >> The delay is very stable at 600 ms but it's a lot, no ?

    >I'd say it'd be pretty painful to hold a conversation, you'd be forever
    >apologising to each other for butting in.

    It will work though. Jitter is a far bigger problem. You just have to
    accept that there is a delay - no worse than what it used to be like
    calling Austrailia from the UK via sattelite...

    I have had a few conversations via VoIP from the UK to Oz - and back
    again, and although the round trip delay was less than that, it worked
    perfectly well.

    I did once have to call my bank from Oz - they only published an 0845
    number which wouldn't call, so I hooked up a VoIP channel to my UK service
    and called them (They'd conveniently blocked by card as it had been used
    in Oz... Banks? Don't get me started!!!)

    Gordon
    (Over, Roger, Wilco and Out ;-)
    Gordon Henderson, Sep 4, 2008

  3. jm

    Tim Guest

    jm wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Can we do voip with an IP that has a 600 ms ping delay ?
    > The delay is very stable at 600 ms but it's a lot, no ?

    It will with decent phones, but the conversation is hard work.

    We've had more on this on Satellite connections and Snom phones and
    works fine.

    As Gordon said, jitter is more a problem. But if you use phones with
    decent dynamic jitter bufffers, then this is ok.

    In short, you'll have to think about it a bit and don't use cheapy phones.

    Tim
    Tim, Sep 5, 2008