Can video cards to video capture???

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 12, 2005.

  1. Jim wrote:
    > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search and
    > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is transferred onto
    > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    >
    > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video graphics
    > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > capability.
    >
    > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make out
    > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If graphics
    > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs. Thanks.

    It should be described as being able to capture video. If you don't see
    "Video Capture" listed anywhere, then you'll need something else. You
    can buy devices that hook up to a USB or firewire port that will allow
    you to capture without involving the video card. There's several ways to
    skin this cat, but using a video capture card is probably the best way.

    Jim, Nov 12, 2005

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Jim wrote:
    > > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search

    and
    > > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is transferred

    onto
    > > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    > >
    > > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video

    graphics
    > > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > > capability.
    > >
    > > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make out
    > > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If graphics
    > > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs.

    Thanks.

    > It should be described as being able to capture video. If you don't see
    > "Video Capture" listed anywhere, then you'll need something else. You
    > can buy devices that hook up to a USB or firewire port that will allow
    > you to capture without involving the video card. There's several ways to
    > skin this cat, but using a video capture card is probably the best way.

    Thanks for the info.

    Jim, Nov 12, 2005
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    John Inzer Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a
    > google search and the process involves video capture
    > where the VHS content is transferred onto my HD and then
    > burned onto my DVD.
    >
    > My question is this. Are video capture cards different
    > from video graphics cards. Or do some or all video
    > graphics cards have video capture capability.
    >
    > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't
    > seem to make out from the specs if the card has video
    > capture capabilities. If graphics cards do support video
    > capture how is it specified in the specs. Thanks.

    =====================================
    Just a suggestion...but for a simple copy...the
    easiest way would be to use a DVD Recorder
    connected to a VHS player/recorder. There are
    some models today that include both...
    (Samsung DVDVR320 for example).

    --

    John Inzer

    John Inzer, Nov 12, 2005
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    Thanks for the heads up.

    Jim, Nov 12, 2005
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    doS Guest

    by a home recorder and save yourself some time and trouble.

    doS, Nov 12, 2005
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    The Shed Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search
    >and
    > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is
    > transferred onto
    > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    >
    > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video
    > graphics
    > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > capability.
    >
    > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make
    > out
    > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If
    > graphics
    > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs.
    > Thanks.

    It is not the card that captures the video.
    All you need to be able to do is input the VHS content to the pc--then
    you will need software to convert a a usable format.

    Would suggest you have a look at a pinnacle studio package such as the
    A/DV version
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...ideo/Studio Family/Studio AV_DV version 9.htm

    This will give you all the inputs you require and is easy to
    use --however you may need to purchase additional leads to connect the
    VHS to the card---real cheap in maplins etc,or more than likely you will
    have something from some other bit of kit that will do the job.

    The Shed, Nov 13, 2005
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    Jim, Nov 13, 2005
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Marc N. Guest

    --
    The preceding message represents personal opinions
    and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not.

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search and
    > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is transferred

    onto
    > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    >
    > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video

    graphics
    > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > capability.
    >
    > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make out
    > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If graphics
    > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs. Thanks.

    I have an ATI TV Wonder PCI card and a Dazzle Fusion USB. Both can connect
    to a VCR and both will capture video with the software included. The PCI
    device works best, and I can watch and listen to the video whyle capturing
    it. With the USB I can only watch it in a small window and that is without
    sound. The sound is OK in the captured video. I have used video from both to
    create DVD and VCD and they are both OK. The PCI card is easer to learn and
    operate. Both of my devices are about 2 years old, who knows what what the
    current devices will do?

    Marc N., Nov 13, 2005
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    "Marc N." <> wrote in message

    > --
    > The preceding message represents personal opinions
    > and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not.
    > Feel free to disregard.
    >
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search

    and
    > > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is transferred

    > onto
    > > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    > >
    > > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video

    > graphics
    > > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > > capability.
    > >
    > > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make out
    > > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If graphics
    > > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs.

    Thanks.

    > I have an ATI TV Wonder PCI card and a Dazzle Fusion USB. Both can

    connect
    > to a VCR and both will capture video with the software included. The PCI
    > device works best, and I can watch and listen to the video whyle capturing
    > it. With the USB I can only watch it in a small window and that is without
    > sound. The sound is OK in the captured video. I have used video from both

    > create DVD and VCD and they are both OK. The PCI card is easer to learn

    and
    > operate. Both of my devices are about 2 years old, who knows what what

    the
    > current devices will do?

    I looked at the ATI cards but I prefer the Nvidias for some reason. This is
    getting more complex than I thought.

    Jim, Nov 13, 2005
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Marc N. Guest

    --

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Marc N." <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > --
    > > The preceding message represents personal opinions
    > > and/or advice that may prove incorrect or harmful. But then maybe not.
    > > Feel free to disregard.
    > >
    > > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > > > I want to backup some of my VHS tapes onto DVD. I did a google search

    > and
    > > > the process involves video capture where the VHS content is

    transferred
    > > onto
    > > > my HD and then burned onto my DVD.
    > > >
    > > > My question is this. Are video capture cards different from video

    > > graphics
    > > > cards. Or do some or all video graphics cards have video capture
    > > > capability.
    > > >
    > > > I plan on getting the Nvidia 6800 card soon but I can't seem to make

    out
    > > > from the specs if the card has video capture capabilities. If

    graphics
    > > > cards do support video capture how is it specified in the specs.

    > Thanks.
    > > >

    > > I have an ATI TV Wonder PCI card and a Dazzle Fusion USB. Both can

    > connect
    > > to a VCR and both will capture video with the software included. The PCI
    > > device works best, and I can watch and listen to the video whyle

    capturing
    > > it. With the USB I can only watch it in a small window and that is

    without
    > > sound. The sound is OK in the captured video. I have used video from

    both
    > > create DVD and VCD and they are both OK. The PCI card is easer to learn

    > and
    > > operate. Both of my devices are about 2 years old, who knows what what

    > the
    > > current devices will do?
    > >

    > I looked at the ATI cards but I prefer the Nvidias for some reason. This

    is
    > getting more complex than I thought.

    The ATI TV Wonder PCI card is not a video board it's a tv tuner etc. You
    still need a video board. ATI does or did have a board called "All in
    Wonder" that did it all. It's not complex, if it was I could not have done
    it. Just get a video board that you like and then get a video capture device
    or tv card that supports capture. What ever it is it will have audio/ video
    input jacks on the back and connect to the computer. ie PCI, USB, etc Make
    sure that the included software will do what you want it to do. I baught a
    DVD burner once for about $200 and after installing the software I was told
    that to burn a DVD I would need to purchase an upgrade.

    Marc N., Nov 13, 2005
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    I just checked my video card again. It has an S-video in, S-video out, and
    Video Out. I'm thinking that if I connect my VCR and TV to the S-video in
    jack that I can run my VHS images onto my computer and then use some type of
    software to capture and record onto an MPEG format and then burn from that?
    Am I correct in saying that?

    Jim, Nov 13, 2005
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Jim
    <> wrote:

    > I just checked my video card again. It has an S-video in, S-video out, and
    > Video Out. I'm thinking that if I connect my VCR and TV to the S-video in
    > jack that I can run my VHS images onto my computer and then use some type of
    > software to capture and record onto an MPEG format and then burn from that?
    > Am I correct in saying that?

    Almost; the software might not record in MPEG format; that is the final
    format you use, not necessarily the format it would capture in.

    Mitch, Nov 13, 2005
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Jim Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Jim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just checked my video card again. It has an S-video in, S-video out,

    and
    > > Video Out. I'm thinking that if I connect my VCR and TV to the S-video

    in
    > > jack that I can run my VHS images onto my computer and then use some

    type of
    > > software to capture and record onto an MPEG format and then burn from

    that?
    > > Am I correct in saying that?

    > Almost; the software might not record in MPEG format; that is the final
    > format you use, not necessarily the format it would capture in.

    OK....I'll see if there's any freeware out there to do this. I'll
    experiment first before plonking down some dough for a good piece of
    software.

    Jim, Nov 13, 2005