Can VB be as powerful as VC++?

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Ultraman Aries, Jun 4, 2004.

  1. should I migrate to VB if d power of C++ can do also w/VB?

    ;-)thanks
    Ultraman Aries, Jun 4, 2004

  2. >should I migrate to VB if d power of C++ can do also w/VB?

    > ;-)thanks

    not in this universe.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 4, 2004

  3. For standalone mission critical application C++ may rule
    But to get some product working in short span of time VB is still good

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 5, 2004
  4. >But to get some product working in short span of time VB is still good

    Not really.

    I could design and implement a C++ solution using C+ Builder or VC 7
    as quick as anyone with equivalent VB experience.

    Incidently, there is more to software development that simple getting
    'some product working'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 5, 2004
  5. debug that fast .. I believe that is well documented(that u can't) ... :)
    > >But to get some product working in short span of time VB is still good

    > Not really.
    >
    > I could design and implement a C++ solution using C+ Builder or VC 7
    > as quick as anyone with equivalent VB experience.
    >
    > Incidently, there is more to software development that simple getting
    > 'some product working'.

    I used to think so .. Now I look @ it this way... If you are using a product
    for 3-2 years don't be perfect Just do it is the motto (as far as i have
    seen in last 10 years )
    unless it is a system software .... My point of view any way

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Ultraman Aries

    MX Guest

    Just getting something "working" is unprofessional.
    Getting it working right is the way to go. Doing something
    half-ass will burn you in the end. You will have a bad
    reputation with your peers. And I feel sorry for the
    people who have to go in and support your work after
    you've moved on. The way I look at it, if you at least try
    your best to be a consummate professional, it will show
    and you will ultimately benefit from it (new job, raise,
    etc...).
    MX, Jun 5, 2004
  7. Ultraman Aries

    Guest Guest

    Explain what you mean by "powerful".

    Programming languages are ususally measured or compared in terms of
    features, performance, maintainability, productivity, etc. Although Visual
    Basic 6.0 and VC++ 6.0 can be compared in these regards, the relative
    distinctions between VB.NET and C# are less.

    Guest, Jun 5, 2004
  8. Which would be worse ,not sticking to a tight deadline or
    not writing text book code ... Learn fron others mistakes...
    and real life ....

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 5, 2004
  9. Then there is expressive power of the grammer used to
    design the programming language too...Correct me if I am wrong...

    Disillusioned_01, Jun 5, 2004
  10. >Which would be worse ,not sticking to a tight deadline or
    >not writing text book code ... Learn fron others mistakes...
    >and real life ....

    It never ceases to amaze me when I hear these sort of statements.

    'We never produced a good system because we never had enough time'
    What that really means is 'We never produced a good system because we
    don't know *HOW* to produce a good systems'. These companies never
    have enough time to do it right, but always have enough time to do it
    all over again (often with the same outcome), wasting millions in the
    process.

    For any given business problem,tight deadlines *should* never be the
    excuse for not producing the right solution which is fit for purpose.
    All the projects I have ever worked on are to 'tight deadlines',
    seldom do we miss a deadline, and we NEVER compromise on quality. The
    reason for this, is that we have a number of set process models used
    for producing and maintaining the software that my company require
    (and require it to work as defined). These process models are
    continually being reviewed and enhanced to reflect the business needs,
    and there is no 'one size fits all'.

    Many of the problems with software development are down to the fact
    that the actual problem to be solved (often the whole problem domain)
    is not understood. So how can estimates (or quotes) be given when even
    at a high level, the problem is not understood!!! This is all to often
    the case when the solution to a problems is 'outsourced' to another
    company (often to the cheapest bidder) who does not fully understand
    your business.

    In a nutshell, it is quality before all else in software development,
    and thank God I never had to answer to people who promote
    incompetence.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 5, 2004
  11. >Just getting something "working" is unprofessional.
    >Getting it working right is the way to go. Doing something
    >half-ass will burn you in the end. You will have a bad
    >reputation with your peers. And I feel sorry for the
    >people who have to go in and support your work after
    >you've moved on. The way I look at it, if you at least try
    >your best to be a consummate professional, it will show
    >and you will ultimately benefit from it (new job, raise,
    >etc...).

    Absolutely.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 5, 2004
  12. >> Incidently, there is more to software development that simple getting
    >> 'some product working'.

    >I used to think so .. Now I look @ it this way... If you are using a product
    >for 3-2 years don't be perfect Just do it is the motto (as far as i have
    >seen in last 10 years )
    >unless it is a system software .... My point of view any way

    What I said is fact.

    Solving business problems does NOT revolve around the choice of
    development tools. The software tools manufactures might like people
    to think that, that it's not the case.

    Implementation is only a small part in the development process. The
    must important part is making sure that the problem domain to captured
    and well understood. If not, any design produced is bound to be wrong
    and in the [unlikely] event that the design is chosen for
    implementation, will simply result in even more money and time being
    wasted.

    The various software languages these days allow any experienced
    professional to get up to speed in very short period of time. The key
    here is the 'experienced professional' part, sadly there is lack of
    such people.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Jun 5, 2004