    Gene Palmiter
    freebridge design group
    freebridge magazine
    Gene Palmiter, Sep 25, 2004

  2. Gene Palmiter

    Drifter Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:37:35 GMT, "Gene Palmiter"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a few readers. I have been using a couple of Kingston 6-in-one USB2
    >at home and a Imation USB1 at work. When the home units stopped working I
    >brought the one from work home....it didn't work either....and now it
    >doesn't perform at work either. WTF? Can my home system be destroying them
    >somehow?

    It's certainly possible you have a short somewhere.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."
    Drifter, Sep 25, 2004

  3. Gene Palmiter

    George Guest

    USB IS designed to power low power devices just from the interface cable.
    If one of the power
    lines is shorted, I'd imagine that it could cause the problem you have
    experienced. That could be
    either a bad USB interface in your computer or a bad cable.

    George, Sep 25, 2004
  4. I am kind of wondering about that sort of thing....yet all the devices had
    their own cables so rule that out....and the scanner plugged into the same
    card has had no problems.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 25, 2004
  5. Gene Palmiter

    spodosaurus Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > I am kind of wondering about that sort of thing....yet all the devices had
    > their own cables so rule that out

    The problem is the port, not the cables.

    >....and the scanner plugged into the same
    > card

    Same card or same port on the card?

    > has had no problems.

    yet

    spodosaurus, Sep 25, 2004
  6. Gene Palmiter

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    spodosaurus wrote:
    > Gene Palmiter wrote:
    >
    >> I am kind of wondering about that sort of thing....yet all the devices
    >> had
    >> their own cables so rule that out

    > The problem is the port, not the cables.

    <snip>

    Hi...

    It's probably a bit of a stretch, but maybe worth
    touching on... ?

    IF the usb ports aren't hardwired to the board but
    rather extended to the front of the case, or are on
    a slot type backplate, then is there any possibility
    that the machine's been open or worked on lately?

    I raise the question because for some reason the
    usb header on the motherboard and its plug aren't
    keyed. So they'll happily go together wrong way
    around. Putting the 5 volt supply not where it should
    be - and doing who knows what damage.

    Just a thought...

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Sep 25, 2004
  7. Ken Weitzel <> wrote in news:n185d.495539$M95.262456
    @pd7tw1no:

    > I raise the question because for some reason the
    > usb header on the motherboard and its plug aren't
    > keyed. So they'll happily go together wrong way
    > around. Putting the 5 volt supply not where it should
    > be - and doing who knows what damage.

    Yepp - and it is even more dangerous than that. There
    are two types of the headers. In one type, both ports
    are on each side and the pins are ordered in the same
    way. In the other type, one of the ports is mirrored.

    If you get a non compatibel header, this might mean that
    one of the ports on your header is working just fine, but
    the other one ZAPS all devices you attach. Does this sound
    familiar?

    BTW - I had one of those mismatches between a header
    and a motherboard way back then. Unfortunately, the header
    had a common ground, so it short circued +5v to ground
    ZAPING my motherboard. Ouch!

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson, Sep 25, 2004
  8. Its a card that puts the ports on the back of the computer. I guess I have
    to replace it and see what happens.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 25, 2004
  9. Gene Palmiter

    spodosaurus Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > Its a card that puts the ports on the back of the computer. I guess I have
    > to replace it and see what happens.

    Just to be completely unambiguous:

    It's a PCI card, and not just a backplate with USB ports that has wires
    leading to a motherboard header, right?

    spodosaurus, Sep 25, 2004
  10. right....but during early morning posts (and before coffee) I often can't
    think of highly technical terms like "PCI".

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 25, 2004
  11. Gene Palmiter

    spodosaurus Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > right....but during early morning posts (and before coffee) I often can't
    > think of highly technical terms like "PCI".

    heh

    I was just making sure. At least you didn't replace all the specific
    terms with words like "thingiemabob" and "whatsit" :)

    spodosaurus, Sep 25, 2004
  12. But....I was thinking it

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 25, 2004