    4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Nov 25, 2006

  2. Mama Bear wrote:

    > Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add another
    > 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    Yes.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Mama Bear

    Ron Guest

    "Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that's a few years old, an AMD XP1400. At some point,
    > USB devices started becoming so easy and useful that I had to add a 4 port
    > USB hub to one of the ports coming out of the computer. But I only have
    > one jack left coming out of that now.
    >
    > Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add another
    > 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?
    >

    > --
    > - Mama Bear

    Yes providing it can power the devices being used and is not a passive one.

    Ron, Nov 25, 2006
  4. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    "Ron" <> wrote :

    > "Mama Bear" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a computer that's a few years old, an AMD XP1400. At some
    >>point,
    >> USB devices started becoming so easy and useful that I had to add a
    >> 4 port USB hub to one of the ports coming out of the computer. But I
    >> only have one jack left coming out of that now.
    >>
    >> Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add
    >> another 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?
    >>

    >> --
    >> - Mama Bear

    > Yes providing it can power the devices being used and is not a
    > passive one.

    I'm not sure. I bought this hub for about $8 on ebay. It has a cool blue
    LED inside a purple case and 4 jacks around it.

    Does the power get passed through these things normally, from the
    computer?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Nov 25, 2006
  5. Mama Bear <> wrote in

    > "Ron" <> wrote :
    >>>

    >> Yes providing it can power the devices being used and is not a
    >> passive one.

    > I'm not sure. I bought this hub for about $8 on ebay. It has a
    > cool blue LED inside a purple case and 4 jacks around it.
    >
    > Does the power get passed through these things normally, from
    > the computer?

    If it has a separate power connection, it's self powered. A passive
    hub just has the USB ports. Yours doesn't sound like a self-powered
    hub.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    The Old Sourdough <dontbother@all> wrote :

    > Mama Bear <> wrote in
    >
    >> "Ron" <> wrote :
    >>>>
    >>> Yes providing it can power the devices being used and is not a
    >>> passive one.

    >> I'm not sure. I bought this hub for about $8 on ebay. It has a
    >> cool blue LED inside a purple case and 4 jacks around it.
    >>
    >> Does the power get passed through these things normally, from
    >> the computer?
    >>

    > If it has a separate power connection, it's self powered. A passive
    > hub just has the USB ports. Yours doesn't sound like a self-powered
    > hub.

    How to tell?

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Nov 26, 2006
  7. Mama Bear <> wrote in

    > The Old Sourdough <dontbother@all> wrote :
    >
    >> Mama Bear <> wrote in

    >>> I'm not sure. I bought this hub for about $8 on ebay. It has a
    >>> cool blue LED inside a purple case and 4 jacks around it.
    >>>
    >>> Does the power get passed through these things normally, from
    >>> the computer?
    >>>

    >> If it has a separate power connection, it's self powered. A
    >> passive hub just has the USB ports. Yours doesn't sound like a
    >> self-powered hub.
    >>

    > How to tell?

    If you didn't get a little power adapter and cable with (usually) a
    round two-conductor plug, and all you can find are 4 identical USB
    ports, then it's a passive hub. Since you say there's an LED, and it
    (apparently) is lighting, without an external power supply, then,
    again, it's not a self-powered hub, but a passive one. It passes
    power to the connected device from the computer. The number of
    devices you can connect are limited by the amount of current that can
    be supplied.

    The Old Sourdough, Nov 26, 2006
  8. Mama Bear

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Mama Bear.

    In <news:Xns988683CFB109Mama@216.196.97.142> you wrote:

    > Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add another
    > 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    Yes. That's what it's designed to do.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Nov 26, 2006
  9. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    Mama Bear wrote:

    > Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add another
    > 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    Yes you can daisy chain them but a (possibly) "better" solution might be
    to add a USB card to the computer .

    Do you have a spare PCI slot? USB cards are very cheap and very easy
    to fit. Have added a card with 4 USB2 sockets (machine only had USB1.x
    sockets x4 before) four external + one internal + "jumper leads" for
    another internal one. This card cost £6~7, fitting was a matter of
    minutes and it all just worked no flaffing about, allowing in the BIOS
    or setting IRQs or anything like that . If your OS is XP a driver is
    not even required though I think I installed the driver that came with
    the card.

    --
    www.cheesesoup.myby.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nileh1ZPGq4

    soup, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Mama Bear

    Mama Bear Guest

    soup <> wrote :

    > Mama Bear wrote:
    >
    >> Can USB hubs like that be daisy chained? In other words, can I add
    >> another 4 port hub now, to the last jack on this one?

    > Yes you can daisy chain them but a (possibly) "better" solution might
    > be to add a USB card to the computer .
    >
    > Do you have a spare PCI slot? USB cards are very cheap and very
    > easy to fit. Have added a card with 4 USB2 sockets (machine only had
    > USB1.x sockets x4 before) four external + one internal + "jumper
    > leads" for another internal one. This card cost £6~7, fitting was a
    > matter of minutes and it all just worked no flaffing about, allowing
    > in the BIOS or setting IRQs or anything like that . If your OS is XP
    > a driver is not even required though I think I installed the driver
    > that came with the card.

    You're right, but why bother popping the case? I did the same thing with
    the 4 port plugin.

    --
    - Mama Bear

    Mama Bear, Dec 1, 2006
  11. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    Mama Bear wrote:

    > You're right, but why bother popping the case? I did the same thing with
    > the 4 port plugin.

    Because a USB card is a lot cheaper that a hub? You don't have to find
    somewhere for the hub to live? It's one cable less (running about)? A
    router takes up a port to give you (say 4) more, whilst a card just
    gives you the (4) extra (or 4+1+1 in my case)?

    soup, Dec 1, 2006
  12. Mama Bear

    soup Guest

    soup wrote:

    > Because a USB card is a lot cheaper that a hub?

    Deep six the "LOT cheaper", cards only seem to have pennies over
    unpowered hubs .
    One thing I did forget was that all the ports on this were USB1.x,
    something fitting a hub would have done nothing about but because I
    fitted a card I now have some USB2 sockets

    soup, Dec 1, 2006