    point rather than the slower one.

    Any insights appreciated.
    WC

    WCH, Nov 9, 2003

  2. WCH

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Yes they can. Your system will detect both access points. If you are using
    the 54g card then select that network and make it default. You can also
    enable WEP. Look at the settings of your wireless card when both networks
    are detected and you will what I am talking about.

    "WCH" <> wrote in message
    > I've been using a LinkSys access point (802.11b) to provide wireless

    access
    > to my home network. I just upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g access point to
    > improve throughput (and it definitely does on the unit that I put a

    802.11g
    > PCI NIC in). My question is -- can I still use the older 802.11b unit on
    > the network too? My house is big enough that there are some areas where

    the
    > signal strength is predictably poor. I'd like to place the older access
    > point near those areas but can't figure out if BOTH access points would
    > co-exist, if I should configure them in a special way so they can

    co-exist,

    pcbutts1, Nov 9, 2003

  3. WCH Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <Qrsrb.153717$Fm2.134045@attbi_s04>:

    > I've been using a LinkSys access point (802.11b) to provide wireless
    > access
    > to my home network. I just upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g access
    > point to improve throughput (and it definitely does on the unit that
    > I put a 802.11g
    > PCI NIC in). My question is -- can I still use the older 802.11b
    > unit on
    > the network too? My house is big enough that there are some areas
    > where the
    > signal strength is predictably poor. I'd like to place the older
    > access point near those areas but can't figure out if BOTH access
    > points would co-exist, if I should configure them in a special way
    > so they can co-exist, and how to make sure the 802.11g PCI NIC will
    > connect to the faster access point rather than the slower one.

    Is there a channel setting for both? If so, you can set one for a
    specific channel, and the other for a different channel...

    As far as making sure the "G" revision connects to the proper AP,
    just make that connection the default...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Nov 9, 2003
  4. WCH

    Rick Merrill Guest

    WCH wrote:

    > I've been using a LinkSys access point (802.11b) to provide wireless access
    > to my home network. I just upgraded to a LinkSys 802.11g access point to
    > improve throughput (and it definitely does on the unit that I put a 802.11g
    > PCI NIC in). My question is -- can I still use the older 802.11b unit on
    > the network too? My house is big enough that there are some areas where the
    > signal strength is predictably poor. I'd like to place the older access
    > point near those areas but can't figure out if BOTH access points would
    > co-exist, if I should configure them in a special way so they can co-exist,
    > and how to make sure the 802.11g PCI NIC will connect to the faster access
    > point rather than the slower one.
    >
    > Any insights appreciated.
    > WC

    Set one to channel 2 and one to channel 10

    Rick Merrill, Nov 9, 2003