    FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?

    KN

    , Aug 26, 2006

  2. gwtc Guest

    wrote:
    > While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
    > like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
    > FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
    >
    > KN

    I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
    into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
    And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    Clumsy? Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting
    someone else to hold them while you chop away.

    gwtc, Aug 26, 2006

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
    <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
    >> like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
    >> FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
    >>
    >> KN
    >>

    >I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
    >into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
    > And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

    Thanks for the help.

    I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
    overwriting the other one, since they default to
    c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....

    I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
    I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
    firefox.exe -p
    I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
    with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
    created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
    and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
    What the heck happened to it?

    This sure is getting confusing....

    KN

    , Aug 27, 2006
  4. gwtc Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
    > <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> While I continue to tinker with the latest version of Firefox, I'd
    >>> like to be able to use one of the older and more stable versions of
    >>> FF. Is it possible to install TWO versions on the same computer?
    >>>
    >>> KN
    >>>

    >> I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
    >> into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
    >> And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

    > Thanks for the help.
    >
    > I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
    > overwriting the other one, since they default to
    > c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....

    each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

    > I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
    > I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
    > firefox.exe -p
    > I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
    > with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
    > created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
    > and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
    > What the heck happened to it?

    when you created that profile, did you start FF? You must start FF in
    order for the files to be created.

    gwtc, Aug 27, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
    <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:57:43 -0700, gwtc
    >> <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:

    >>> I have FF 1.0.8 and 1.5.0.6 on the same computer. Just install each
    >>> into their own program directory and use a different profile for each.
    >>> And the only problem you'll have is you can't run both at the same time.

    >> Thanks for the help.
    >>
    >> I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
    >> overwriting the other one, since they default to
    >> c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....
    >>

    >each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

    OK, Thanks

    I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
    Not sure why?

    >> I just tried to create an alternative (or second) profile in FF 1.5.
    >> I went to the profile editor, using start\run Then I typed in
    >> firefox.exe -p
    >> I did not want to delete the DEFAULT profile, but created another one
    >> with a different name. Then it asks what directory I want it, so I
    >> created a directory in the firefox directory (where the files are),
    >> and made a directory called profiles. Nothing was placed into it....
    >> What the heck happened to it?
    >>

    >when you created that profile, did you start FF? You must start FF in
    >order for the files to be created.

    OK, thats where that error occurred. It was not open, just that
    profile window.

    Since all of this, I have completely removed every trace of all
    versions of Firefox, and profiles. I then used several of my registry
    cleaners, and also manually went thru the registry to delete all
    traces of firefox. The only thing I saved were my bookmarks.
    I plan to reinstall from scratch, (both versions).

    Thanks for the help

    KN

    >> This sure is getting confusing....
    >>
    >> KN

    , Aug 28, 2006
  6. gwtc Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
    > <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the help.
    >>>
    >>> I am a bit confused though. How do I keep one profile from
    >>> overwriting the other one, since they default to
    >>> c:\windows\application data\mozilla\firefox etc.....
    >>>

    >> each profile is separate and do not share stuff with the other.

    > OK, Thanks
    >
    > I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
    > Not sure why?

    in the days gone by, the name of the program before FF was Phoenix. I
    believe they just kept the name until the 1.0.x days.

    --
    Amazingly Simple Home Remedies . . .

    For high blood pressure sufferers: simply cut yourself and bleed for a
    few minutes, thus reducing the pressure in your veins. Remember to use
    a timer.

    gwtc, Aug 29, 2006
  7. On 29 Aug 2006 01:07:55 +0200, gwtc <7yjsIFfetn>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 20:44:37 -0700, gwtc
    > > <7yjsIFfetn> wrote:
    > >
    > > I noticed that FF 0.8 created a directory called Phoenix
    > > Not sure why?

    > in the days gone by, the name of the program before FF was Phoenix. I
    > believe they just kept the name until the 1.0.x days.

    My old version of Firefox 0.8 created both a Phoenix and a Mozilla
    directory. One was always empty and always returned if deleted. I always
    figured it was a leftover in the installer at the time. Either that, or the
    phoenix just wanted to keep rising up from its ashes. The first release
    candidate of 1.0 put an end to that.

    I started with Phoenix 0.5, went through Firebird 0.6 and 0.7, then Firefox
    starting with 0.8. Luckily, I still have backups of 0.8 through 0.9.3 as
    those versions don't seem to exist on the mozilla website any more.

    0.1 through 0.5
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/phoenix/releases/
    0.6 through 0.7.1
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firebird/releases/
    1.0rc1 through current (missing 0.8 through 0.9.3)
    http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/

    It's not like I'll ever go back and use any of the old versions, since the
    latest works quite well, even on my ancient system.

    FoxWolfie Galen, Aug 29, 2006