Can Thunderbird or Mozilla enforce same message rule

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Big Craigie, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Big Craigie

    Big Craigie Guest

    I am happily using Firefox as my browser and would eventually like to ditch
    Outlook Express. However, I am not sure if the same spam rules used in OE
    would work in TB. For example the following

    Apply this rule after the message arrives
    Where the Subject line contains '*** SPAM ***' or '***SPAM***'
    Delete it from server

    My ISP is Wanadoo who do their own filtering and mark (what they think is
    spam) with the ***SPAM*** in the subject line. It works very well and as a
    result I have very little spam. I don't want a filter just to put unwanted
    e-mail into a junk folder. I just don't want to get it. The above rule means
    that it doesn't even reach my machine. So, does TB allow for deletion from
    the ISP server if it satisfies a certain rule.

    Secondly, I have my e-mails in a folder in my D drive rather than the folder
    which was set up when I installed OE. This means in the event of having to
    wipe my C drive, I still have the data files safely in D. Can TB also allow
    you to specify where the e-mails and folder are stored ?

    Best wishes

    Big Craigie

    Big Craigie, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Big Craigie wrote:
    > I am happily using Firefox as my browser and would eventually like to ditch
    > Outlook Express. However, I am not sure if the same spam rules used in OE
    > would work in TB. For example the following
    >
    > Apply this rule after the message arrives
    > Where the Subject line contains '*** SPAM ***' or '***SPAM***'
    > Delete it from server
    >
    > My ISP is Wanadoo who do their own filtering and mark (what they think is
    > spam) with the ***SPAM*** in the subject line. It works very well and as a
    > result I have very little spam. I don't want a filter just to put unwanted
    > e-mail into a junk folder. I just don't want to get it. The above rule means
    > that it doesn't even reach my machine. So, does TB allow for deletion from
    > the ISP server if it satisfies a certain rule.
    >
    > Secondly, I have my e-mails in a folder in my D drive rather than the folder
    > which was set up when I installed OE. This means in the event of having to
    > wipe my C drive, I still have the data files safely in D. Can TB also allow
    > you to specify where the e-mails and folder are stored ?
    >
    > Best wishes
    >
    > Big Craigie

    No. TB must download the email from the server in order to apply a
    filter to it. Then the filter can be set to delete it.

    However, there is another ap called Poptray:

    www.poptray.org

    Its an email notifier that will allow filters to delete mail from the
    server. I use it in conjunction with TB.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Big Craigie

    Tom Betz Guest

    Leonidas Jones <> wrote in news:gZKUd.300039$w62.161611
    @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

    > No. TB must download the email from the server in order to apply a
    > filter to it. Then the filter can be set to delete it.

    Is this true also when using IMAP? Or can Thunderbird run its rules on an
    IMAP-attached mail folder?

    --
    George Bush's War of Choice on Iraq is a totally unnecessary war.
    Every life lost, every limb lost, every disfigurement, every

    Tom Betz, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Tom Betz wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones <> wrote in news:gZKUd.300039$w62.161611
    > @bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:
    >

    >>No. TB must download the email from the server in order to apply a
    >>filter to it. Then the filter can be set to delete it.

    > Is this true also when using IMAP? Or can Thunderbird run its rules on an
    > IMAP-attached mail folder?

    The options for a filter on an Imap account are different then a POP
    account. In Imap, you can only create filters that act on the headers,
    not the body. With an POP account a filter can be set up to act on the
    body, since the body is downloaded.

    The theory is the same, TB can only act on that which is downloaded, it
    can't peer onto the server to apply its filter.

    I had made the suggestion of Poptray to the OP. Poptray filters work on
    this same principle. All it will download is headers, to which it
    applies its filters, then deletes from the server, or whatever the
    desired action is, when it reconnects.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 1, 2005