    can do it?

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 23, 2012

  2. Terry Pinnell

    M.L. Guest

    >An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >(Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >
    >To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >
    >Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    >that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    >confirmation please.
    >
    >Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    >can do it?

    Irfanview can't do it since it doesn't offer the masking needed to
    perform that task. However, some freeware programs can do that task
    easily once you learn how to create and invert a mask, then lower the
    brightness on the masked area.

    The following are easy to use and allow you to move your masks.

    Hornil StylePix Free
    OS: Win XP/2003/Vista/2008/7
    http://hornil.com/en/products/stylepix/Features.html

    Photofiltre 7
    OS: Win NT/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7
    http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm

    PixBuilder Studio
    OS: Win XP/Vista/7
    http://www.wnsoft.com/pixbuilder
    M.L., Jun 23, 2012

  3. M.L. <> wrote:

    >>An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >>https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >>(Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >>
    >>To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >>resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >>
    >>Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    >>that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    >>confirmation please.
    >>
    >>Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    >>can do it?

    >Irfanview can't do it since it doesn't offer the masking needed to
    >perform that task. However, some freeware programs can do that task
    >easily once you learn how to create and invert a mask, then lower the
    >brightness on the masked area.
    >
    >The following are easy to use and allow you to move your masks.
    >
    >Hornil StylePix Free
    >OS: Win XP/2003/Vista/2008/7
    >http://hornil.com/en/products/stylepix/Features.html
    >
    >Photofiltre 7
    >OS: Win NT/98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7
    >http://www.photofiltre-studio.com/pf7-en.htm
    >
    >PixBuilder Studio
    >OS: Win XP/Vista/7
    >http://www.wnsoft.com/pixbuilder

    Thanks both, much appreciated. I'll investigate all four suggested
    programs.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 23, 2012
  4. "Elias Fotinis" <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:59:33 +0300, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >

    >> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >>
    >> To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >> resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >>
    >> Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    >> that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    >> confirmation please.

    >AFAIK, IrfanView can only do rectangular selections.
    >
    >> Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    >> can do it?

    >Paint.NET (<http://www.getpaint.net/>) can do this. Use the Ellipse Select tool, invert the selection and use the Adjustments menu to dim the outside area.
    >
    >Paint.NET is a nice intermediate tool to have when you need something more advanced than IrfanView, but also something lighter than, say, GIMP.

    On installing I got message that it needed XP SP3. I'm still on SP2 and no
    imminent plan to update.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  5. Bear <> wrote:

    >Terry Pinnell <> wrote in
    >
    >> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >>
    >> To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >> resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >>
    >> Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in
    >> IrfanView that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd
    >> appreciate confirmation please.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast
    >> that can do it?
    >>

    >The fastest way I know how to do something similar is to use Google's
    >Chrome Screen Shot extension and choose "capture page region"
    >(CTRL+ALT+R) and use the printscreen button to capture the desktop,
    >paste new image into Photofilter and crop the image to your liking.
    >
    >When you choose page region, the entire page darkens except for the
    >selection box which you can move and size to the area of interest.
    >
    >http://bearware.info/screenshots/example.png

    Thanks, but I don't use Chrome.

    I'm not clear why you'd use it? Or the PrtScr button? I've just installed
    Photofiltre and that does it OK on its own. BTW, it seems unable to draw a
    circle around a chosen point; is that possible please?

    If only PaintShopPro 8 wasn't so slow to load and heavy on resources that
    would be my obvious choice, as I'm so familiar with it.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  6. David J Taylor, Jun 24, 2012
  7. Terry Pinnell

    mike Guest

    On 6/23/2012 5:59 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    > An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    > (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >
    > To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    > resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >
    > Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    > that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    > confirmation please.
    >
    > Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    > can do it?

    Not particularly clean, but you can select, cut selection, image/enhance
    colors
    change brightness, select region again and paste.
    Depends on your ability to get the selection exact.
    mike, Jun 24, 2012
  8. "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >If only PaintShopPro 8 wasn't so slow to load and heavy on resources that
    >would be my obvious choice, as I'm so familiar with it.
    >
    >Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    >================================
    >
    >Terry, any chance you can increase the memory on that PC? PSP8 should not
    >be /that/ slow. A disk with significant built-in cache might also help.
    >
    > http://www.dabs.com/products/seagate-500gb-momentusxt-hybrid-sata-300-2-5--7200rpm-32mb-70JK.html
    >
    >Cheers,
    >David

    Thanks David. Perhaps I'm exaggerating the slowness. And I'm referring to
    the speed from a cold start, not with PSP8 already running.

    A 4000 x 3000 JPG takes about 6 seconds to open using R-click > Open with
    > PSP8 from its Explorer folder. IrfanView, FastStone Viewer and

    PhotoFiltre are under a second.

    Although now getting old, this PC is still fairly well specified.
    'MESH GTS Xtreme', Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz, 512 MB
    nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT
    2 x 750 GB Serial ATA2 HDs, plus external 1 TB and 2 TB WD 'My Book'
    drives.

    I *would* like more RAM; that 4 MB is apparently not fully usable under
    XP, so in practice it's under 3 MB. Guess that will have to wait until I
    face the hassle and aggro of re-installing everything on a new PC,
    presumably Win 7 or 8.

    Note also my other point; it's not just the speed of starting PSP8 that
    irks, but also its CPU and memory usage.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  9. mike <> wrote:

    >On 6/23/2012 5:59 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >>
    >> To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >> resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >>
    >> Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    >> that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    >> confirmation please.
    >>
    >> Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    >> can do it?
    >>

    >Not particularly clean, but you can select, cut selection, image/enhance
    >colors
    >change brightness, select region again and paste.
    >Depends on your ability to get the selection exact.

    Thanks Mike, but apart from the precision needed that you rightly point
    out, IrfanView can only make a *rectangular* selection as far as I know,
    so the task I described is not in its repertoire.

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Terry Pinnell says...

    > "Elias Fotinis" <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:59:33 +0300, Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    > >> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    > >> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    > >>
    > >> To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    > >> resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    > >>
    > >> Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    > >> that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    > >> confirmation please.

    > >AFAIK, IrfanView can only do rectangular selections.
    > >
    > >> Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    > >> can do it?

    > >Paint.NET (<http://www.getpaint.net/>) can do this. Use the Ellipse Select tool, invert the selection and use the Adjustments menu to dim the outside area.
    > >
    > >Paint.NET is a nice intermediate tool to have when you need something more advanced than IrfanView, but also something lighter than, say, GIMP.

    > On installing I got message that it needed XP SP3. I'm still on SP2 and no
    > imminent plan to update.

    Why???? - you're on an unsupported platform, IIRC.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 24, 2012
  11. Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 07:41:53 +0100, Terry Pinnell
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Bear <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    >>>The fastest way I know how to do something similar is to use Google's
    >>>Chrome Screen Shot extension and choose "capture page region"
    >>>(CTRL+ALT+R) and use the printscreen button to capture the desktop,
    >>>paste new image into Photofilter and crop the image to your liking.
    >>>
    >>>When you choose page region, the entire page darkens except for the
    >>>selection box which you can move and size to the area of interest.
    >>>
    >>>http://bearware.info/screenshots/example.png

    >>Thanks, but I don't use Chrome.
    >>
    >>I'm not clear why you'd use it? Or the PrtScr button? I've just installed
    >>Photofiltre and that does it OK on its own. BTW, it seems unable to draw a
    >>circle around a chosen point; is that possible please?
    >>
    >>If only PaintShopPro 8 wasn't so slow to load and heavy on resources that
    >>would be my obvious choice, as I'm so familiar with it.

    >What kind of machine and what operating system are you running? From
    >your comments, I suspect you are labouring under a burden of age.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Eric Stevens

    See my post 2 mins earlier ;-)

    As for 'burden of age', that's certainly applicable to me! But I just
    cheerfully keep taking the pills...

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  12. Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >, Terry Pinnell says...

    >> >AFAIK, IrfanView can only do rectangular selections.

    >> >Paint.NET (<http://www.getpaint.net/>) can do this. Use the Ellipse Select tool, invert the selection and use the Adjustments menu to dim the outside area.
    >> >
    >> >Paint.NET is a nice intermediate tool to have when you need something more advanced than IrfanView, but also something lighter than, say, GIMP.

    >> On installing I got message that it needed XP SP3. I'm still on SP2 and no
    >> imminent plan to update.

    >Why???? - you're on an unsupported platform, IIRC.

    Traumatic failure when I last attempted it a couple or three years ago.
    And no obvious benefit - apart perhaps from the lack of official support
    you highlight!

    --
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 24, 2012
  13. Terry Pinnell

    M.L. Guest

    >>> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >>> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)

    >I've just installed
    >Photofiltre and that does it OK on its own. BTW, it seems unable to draw a
    >circle around a chosen point; is that possible please?

    I couldn't find such a feature, but Photofiltre allows you to easily
    move your circular selection to wherever you want.
    M.L., Jun 24, 2012
  14. Terry Pinnell

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Terry Pinnell says...

    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>,
    > >, Terry Pinnell says...

    > >> On installing I got message that it needed XP SP3. I'm still on SP2 and no
    > >> imminent plan to update.

    > >Why???? - you're on an unsupported platform, IIRC.

    > Traumatic failure when I last attempted it a couple or three years ago.
    > And no obvious benefit - apart perhaps from the lack of official support
    > you highlight!

    Well you've just highlighted one of the advantages - the .NET framework
    - and I think you'll find other MS stuff won't install either without
    SP3.

    I've found the main reasons SP3 won't install is either: malware,
    viruses, or antivirus (particularly Nortons/Symantec). Or a combination
    of all three! :) Removing all of them (including any AV), and I've yet
    to be *unable* to install SP3 on a PC.

    I'd give it another go - many folk report a much improved PC after SP3 -
    anecdotal AFAIK (not really seen a performance advantage myself).

    Dunno why your SP3 install was so traumatic either, every failure I've
    seen rolled back just fine (albiet, some PC's took a few hours (to (fail
    to) install, then rollback).

    IMO, you're in limbo/no-mans land. I bet you'll find that, should you
    want to upgrade to Windows 7 one day, that you will not be able to run
    the 'Windows 7 Easy Transfer Tool' on your current XP machine either!

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jun 24, 2012
  15. Terry Pinnell

    Spamblk Guest

    Terry Pinnell <> wrote in

    > mike <> wrote:

    <SNIP...>
    >>change brightness, select region again and paste.
    >>Depends on your ability to get the selection exact.

    > Thanks Mike, but apart from the precision needed that you rightly
    > point out, IrfanView can only make a *rectangular* selection as far as
    > I know, so the task I described is not in its repertoire.

    IMO its not just a free selection tool that is needed but one with a
    feathered selection facility. For general photography brightening a sharp
    selection will show a sharp edge IME not very pretty. Of course if the
    image consists of sharply defined geometric shapes etc then there is less
    of an issue though I find a feathering of 2 pixels still improves the
    effect. The only programs IME that offer selection feathering are
    bloatware Photoshop or the Gimp though perhaps the latest editions of
    Xnview, Photofiltre, Hornil Stylepix or similar now have this facility?
    Spamblk, Jun 24, 2012
  16. Thanks David. Perhaps I'm exaggerating the slowness. And I'm referring to
    the speed from a cold start, not with PSP8 already running.

    A 4000 x 3000 JPG takes about 6 seconds to open using R-click > Open with
    > PSP8 from its Explorer folder. IrfanView, FastStone Viewer and

    PhotoFiltre are under a second.

    Although now getting old, this PC is still fairly well specified.
    'MESH GTS Xtreme', Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 667 MHz, 512 MB
    nVIDIA GeoForce 8800GT
    2 x 750 GB Serial ATA2 HDs, plus external 1 TB and 2 TB WD 'My Book'
    drives.

    I *would* like more RAM; that 4 MB is apparently not fully usable under
    XP, so in practice it's under 3 MB. Guess that will have to wait until I
    face the hassle and aggro of re-installing everything on a new PC,
    presumably Win 7 or 8.

    Note also my other point; it's not just the speed of starting PSP8 that
    irks, but also its CPU and memory usage.

    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

    Yes, around 3 GB (not 3 MB!) is about the limit under a 32-bit version of
    Windows, but that's plenty for PSP8. If you get the appropriate version of
    Windows-7, it includes a Windows XP Virtual PC (which you can download), so
    your existing software could run under that - there may be no need to
    migrate. Other virtual PC software is available.

    If you keep PSP8 open, rather than close it each time, likely the Open With
    time would be much reduced.

    Cheers,
    David
    Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
    Email:
    David J Taylor, Jun 24, 2012
  17. Terry Pinnell

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:18:15 +0100, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > mike <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 6/23/2012 5:59 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
    >>> An effect I use fairly often is a highlighted section like this:
    >>> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/ExampleHighlight.jpg
    >>> (Well, strictly it's a relative 'dimming' of the non-selected area.)
    >>>
    >>> To do this I have to break off from working in IrfanView and load up
    >>> resource-hungry PaintShop Pro 8, a bit of a chore.
    >>>
    >>> Over the years I've been delighted to find various features in IrfanView
    >>> that I wasn't aware of. I don't think this is one, but I'd appreciate
    >>> confirmation please.
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, any other fast-loading freeware tool that loads fast that
    >>> can do it?
    >>>

    >>Not particularly clean, but you can select, cut selection, image/enhance
    >>colors
    >>change brightness, select region again and paste.
    >>Depends on your ability to get the selection exact.

    > Thanks Mike, but apart from the precision needed that you rightly point
    > out, IrfanView can only make a *rectangular* selection as far as I know,
    > so the task I described is not in its repertoire.

    Terry, Irfanview has a plugin called RGBSpot that will do what
    you want. Very easy to use.
    A quick and dirty specimen I did here.
    http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2281/clipboard0221.jpg
    Irwell, Jun 25, 2012
  18. Terry Pinnell

    M.L. Guest

    M.L., Jun 25, 2012
  19. Terry Pinnell

    Irwell Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:45:19 -0500, M.L. wrote:

    >>Terry, Irfanview has a plugin called RGBSpot that will do what
    >>you want. Very easy to use.
    >>A quick and dirty specimen I did here.
    >>http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2281/clipboard0221.jpg

    > Do you have a link to the RGBSpot plugin?

    I forget how I came to get the plugin but on
    the Irfan Forum there is this link, maybe you can
    find it there.
    https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?1308-Edit-face-brightness&highlight=rgbspot
    Irwell, Jun 25, 2012
  20. Terry Pinnell

    M.L. Guest

    >>>Terry, Irfanview has a plugin called RGBSpot that will do what
    >>>you want. Very easy to use.
    >>>A quick and dirty specimen I did here.
    >>>http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2281/clipboard0221.jpg

    >> Do you have a link to the RGBSpot plugin?

    >I forget how I came to get the plugin but on
    >the Irfan Forum there is this link, maybe you can
    >find it there.
    >https://irfanview-forum.de/showthread.php?1308-Edit-face-brightness&highlight=rgbspot

    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately the rgbspot.zip link on that
    page was dead.
    M.L., Jun 25, 2012