Can the CD-ROM laser dim and not be able to read my CDs?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by easytoremember123@email.com, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I recorded some data CDs 3 years ago, using Philips Multi Purpose
    CDR-74 (650 MB). At the same time, I also made some other data CDs,
    using Verbatim CDs. I used the same CD recorder (Sony CRX 1611, love
    it), which I'm still using (still love it).

    I have tested 3 of the Philips CDs recently, and all 3 had errors. I
    did the test making a Nero CD-copy; Nero informs you of any unreadable
    sector after cancelling the operation. On one CD I ran the test twice
    and the bad sector that cancelled the operation was different than the
    first one. This to me indicates not a scratched CD but rather a poor
    CD-ROM reader.

    It's somewhat againt the odd for all 3 CDs going bad, and temperature
    and humidity have been normal these 3 years, no sunlight, hardly any
    handling, I'm very careful regardless, and they're not written on.

    And the 2 Verbatim CDs from the same time ran the test perfectly, and
    they were stored together with the Philips, which to me suggests
    problems reading a certain type of CD; again, a CD-ROM problem, not a
    problem with the CDs.

    Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and
    it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I
    generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to
    record CDs?

    , Sep 2, 2005

  2. Dan G Guest

    Your Phillips discs have gone bad, which they are well-known to do. Phillips
    uses CDR's from the cheapest known sources, and they burn very poorly in
    many drives. Rescue as much data as you can from them before they go
    completely bad.
    A new $25 drive may well be able to read them better than the old Sony, but
    the discs are certainly dying.

    Your Sony is no longer appropriate for newer high speed media, which is
    designed for burning in high speed drives.

    Dan G, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Chas Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I recorded some data CDs 3 years ago, using Philips Multi Purpose
    > CDR-74 (650 MB). At the same time, I also made some other data CDs,
    > using Verbatim CDs. I used the same CD recorder (Sony CRX 1611, love
    > it), which I'm still using (still love it).
    >
    > I have tested 3 of the Philips CDs recently, and all 3 had errors. I
    > did the test making a Nero CD-copy; Nero informs you of any unreadable
    > sector after cancelling the operation. On one CD I ran the test twice
    > and the bad sector that cancelled the operation was different than the
    > first one. This to me indicates not a scratched CD but rather a poor
    > CD-ROM reader.
    >
    > It's somewhat againt the odd for all 3 CDs going bad, and temperature
    > and humidity have been normal these 3 years, no sunlight, hardly any
    > handling, I'm very careful regardless, and they're not written on.
    >
    > And the 2 Verbatim CDs from the same time ran the test perfectly, and
    > they were stored together with the Philips, which to me suggests
    > problems reading a certain type of CD; again, a CD-ROM problem, not a
    > problem with the CDs.
    >
    > Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and
    > it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I
    > generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to
    > record CDs?

    Hi
    I'd try them in another CD-ROM first
    Chas

    Chas, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Trax Guest

    wrote:

    |>Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and
    |>it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I
    |>generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to
    |>record CDs?

    Yes, and funny you should mention Sony
    http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ps2_disc_read_error_a.txt
    the link tells you how to adjust the lens voltage for a PS2.

    The link is just to show that yes they can dim, and that there is a
    way to increase it.
    --
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1450606.htm

    Trax, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Trax <> writes:

    > wrote:
    >
    > |>Could the reading laser on my CD-ROM (Sony CRX 1611) have dimmed, and
    > |>it can't read the lower quality stuff anymore? And if so, am I
    > |>generating lower quality CDs by continuing to use my trusty old Sony to
    > |>record CDs?
    >
    > Yes, and funny you should mention Sony
    > http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/ps2_disc_read_error_a.txt
    > the link tells you how to adjust the lens voltage for a PS2.
    >
    > The link is just to show that yes they can dim, and that there is a
    > way to increase it.
    > --
    > http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1450606.htm

    Note that if you do increase it and the laser was NOT the problem, you
    could possibly ruin it.

    --- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

    traffic on Repairfaq.org.

    Sam Goldwasser, Sep 2, 2005