    handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?

    TIA

    Dan
    Dan, Jul 10, 2006

  2. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    Dan wrote:

    > My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
    > order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
    > handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dan

    each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.

    Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . happy hour is a nap.
    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006
  4. gwtc wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
    >> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
    >> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
    >
    > Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

    Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
    sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
    compacting notwithstanding.

    cheers,

    David H
    David Harrison, Jul 11, 2006

    David Harrison, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    David Harrison wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:
    >>

    >>>My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
    >>>order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
    >>>handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Dan

    >>each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
    >>
    >>Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
    >>

    > Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
    > sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
    > compacting notwithstanding.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    per folder
    each folder

    --
    You Know You're Getting Even Older When . . . you're on vacation, and
    your energy runs out before your money does.
    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Dan

    gwtc Guest

    David Harrison wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:
    >
    >>Dan wrote:
    >>

    >>>My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
    >>>order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
    >>>handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>Dan

    >>each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
    >>
    >>Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
    >>

    > Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
    > sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
    > compacting notwithstanding.
    >
    > cheers,
    >
    > David H

    per folder
    each folder

    gwtc, Jul 11, 2006
  8. gwtc wrote:
    > David Harrison wrote:
    >
    >> gwtc wrote:

    >>> each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
    >>>
    >>> Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]
    >>>

    >> Just curious -- does the 4 gig limit extend to one Local Folder or the
    >> sum of 'em? I have some very large client-work folders in there,
    >> compacting notwithstanding.
    >>
    >> cheers,
    >>
    >> David H

    > per folder
    > each folder

    Thanks. I should have read your initial post more closely -- I blame
    weird working hours :)
    David Harrison, Jul 11, 2006

    David Harrison, Jul 11, 2006
  10. Dan

    Dan Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> My wife has a work situation where she is required to retain on the
    >> order of 30,000 email messages and have them be searchable. Can TBird
    >> handle this effectively w/o taking up lots of system resources?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Dan

    > each folder you create can store up to 4 gigs of messages.
    >
    > Also, every now and then learn to Compact your Folders [under File]

    Thanks for the reply. 4 gig seems like a healthy amount, I'm still
    wondering though if there's any problem with a large total NUMBER of
    emails, in terms of searching, displaying lists of
    subject/date/sender/etc., even if they don't exceed (or even approach) a
    total file size of 4 gig. In investigating this I found something a bit
    odd; I run tbird 1.5.0.4. I have two email accounts which are
    subscribed to listservs. All listserv post go into junk mail via the
    junk mail controls. I retain them there, but I send them to junk
    automatically to get them out of the inbox. Looking at the directory
    that holds the emails in docs & settings, I see that although the
    inboxes when viewed in TBird are EMPTY, these listserv postings are
    stored in BOTH the JUNK files AND the INBOX files. Again, they DO NOT
    APPEAR in the inboxes when it is viewed in TBird. This seems pretty
    wasteful. I guess the obvious answer is to set up a separate folder to
    transfer the posts to, still it seems like a weird way for TBird to
    handle the junk folder contents. This only seems to be the case for
    mail which is not removed from the junk folder.

    Dan
    Dan, Jul 11, 2006
  11. Dan

    Dan Guest