  1. Was wondering if the rootkits 32-bit device drivers could be installed and
    disable hardware on x64.

    Any thoughts on this?

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBCaWVybWFu?=, Nov 21, 2005

  2. 32-Bit device drivers do not work on Windows x64, all device drivers must be
    64-bit native to function under Windows x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 21, 2005

  3. An interesting question, to which I have no answer. However, one thing I do
    know -- if you were able to play one of the CDs and make a copy of it, then
    it put the root kit on your machine, since that was a prerequisite for
    unlocking it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 21, 2005
  4. Well, interestingly, it's not quite the same as a driver, so I'm not at all
    sure. I don't happen to have one of the CD's, or I'd try it in a virtual
    machine (yet another thing I like about VMWare.) If the CD will copy at all,
    then you've been rootkitted.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 21, 2005
  5. I don't have any of the CDs in question. I read a post on another site where
    someone claims to have installed the rootkit. He was not able to do anything
    with it because x64 does not allow kernel level hooks. He claimed the 32-bit
    device drivers were installed but faled at bootup and disabled his CD-ROM
    drive.

    I was under the impression that 32-bit device drivers could not be installed
    on x64 and if that were 100% true then there would be no way they could
    disable hardware at that level.

    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBCaWVybWFu?=, Nov 22, 2005
  6. A root kit isn't, necessarily, a driver, though it's trying to operate at a
    very low level. It's certainly possible that the Sony POS (I know, I know, a
    redundancy) replaced the CD-ROM driver with its own, which then, of course,
    wouldn't load. And thus no CD-ROM functionality. I didn't really pay a lot
    of attention to the exact details of how this worked, just thanked my stars
    that I hadn't bought one of the affected CDs and made a note never to buy
    Sony again. Ever.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 22, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbCBCaWVybWFu?=

    Piers James Guest

    somewhat irrelevant now since Sony has pulled the whole DRM thing 'cos of
    all the bad press.

    Piers James, Nov 22, 2005