    I'd like to test the comms ports before I take the mb back (if I could
    just find an old comm port mouse....doh).

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 17, 2003

  2. Steve

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 11:33:08 +0100, Steve wrote:

    >Hi All,
    > I've just upgraded to an abit NF7S (reformatted and reinstalled
    >everything the way it was before, old system was a p4 on an via chipset
    >mb) and now all my phone s/w (for ring tones and graphics) can't
    >communicate with the phones ?

    <snip.
    >I'm running W2k, device manager claims no problems with either port. So,
    >I'd like to test the comms ports before I take the mb back (if I could

    External modem?

    Serial cable DCC link to second PC
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/dccmain.htm

    >just find an old comm port mouse....doh).
    >
    >Any help would be very much appreciated.

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/utilities.shtml
    Portmon v3.02
    Monitor serial and parallel port activity with this advanced monitoring
    tool. It knows about all standard serial and parallel IOCTLs and even
    shows you a portion of the data being sent and received. Version 3.x has
    powerful new UI enhancements and advanced filtering capabilities.

    Or somethng like a hardware tester
    http://rswww.com/

    Comtest RS-232 Line Monitor, RS232LM
    410-0463 £36.04

    or
    mini-tester 9
    202-537 £25.49

    VBHexTerm.
    http://www.beyond-designs.com/PC_ports.htm
    has LED/line status shown on screen.

    Another option is making a loopback tester
    http://www.passmark.com/support/loopback.htm

    making one with LED indicator
    http://www.airborn.com.au/rs232.html

    another software monitor