    What about switches? Would something in the 2800 series provide me with
    something to learn on? Is that too old? Thanks a lot

    Carito
    Dwayne, May 28, 2006

  2. "Dwayne" <> writes:
    >I was hoping someone could give me some advice. Ive set up 8 computers
    >to be able to learn on and experiment without the fear causing havoc on
    >the LAN at work. Im would like to purchase a cisco router and switch to
    >hook to to practice commands, see how things work etc etc.

    >I was looking at them on Ebay, and need some advice on what would be a
    >good model number series to get that will support all the commands out
    >now, upgrading the IOS etc. Right now I'm looking at the 2600 series
    >routers. Any suggestions?

    The 2600's are good. Still getting a little long in the tooth, but
    still relevant. A dual ethernet model would be ideal (ie. 2611, 2621)
    because ethernet is easier than serial, but you pay more for the more
    usable system. A 1720/1750 should be alright too, although there isn't
    much price difference, and the 2600 will give you more features.

    Personaly, for what they charge for some of the dual ether routers on
    eBay, I'd seriously look at a Cisco refurbed 2801 from a dealer. Comes
    with two ethers, its the most current model in that line, and the
    memory/flash expandibility options are super cheap, because its
    current PC stuff. Ie. sparco.com has factory refurb 2801 for $1069.

    >What about switches? Would something in the 2800 series provide me with
    >something to learn on? Is that too old? Thanks a lot

    The 2800 is probably too old to be of much use. The 2924xl-en (8MB
    model, but not the models without the -en on the end, or 4M models) or
    equivilent (ie. 2924m-xl-en or 2924c-xl-en) would be good because you
    can do VLAN trunking on it, and that is very current now.
    Doug McIntyre, May 28, 2006

  3. Dwayne

    Dwayne Guest

    great thanks for the help. I'll check them out again. I defintely want
    to get one that I can play around with VLANs on
    Dwayne, May 28, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Dwayne <> wrote:
    >Im would like to purchase a cisco router and switch to
    >hook to to practice commands, see how things work etc etc.

    >I was looking at them on Ebay, and need some advice on what would be a
    >good model number series to get that will support all the commands out
    >now, upgrading the IOS etc. Right now I'm looking at the 2600 series
    >routers. Any suggestions?

    You will not be able to upgrade IOS on a used device, but
    would be able to do so on a refurbished device:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/refurb_equipment/swpolicy.html
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/csc/softskus.xls

    You'd probably need the part LL26C= (Cisco 2600 Series, IP Featureset).
    It appears that the cost would be $US275 to $US400 ($US1200 if you
    don't look around!)
    Walter Roberson, May 29, 2006
  5. Dwayne

    Dwayne Guest

    Oh. I didnt realize that I wouldnt be able to update/upgrade the IOS on
    a used device. I guess that includes both routers and switches then? So
    if I am looking for one on Ebay and there are a lot, I need to make
    sure that in the descrip it says that it is refurbished??

    the part LL26C- thats the 2600 series and the c is what gives it the IP
    feature set which is what would include VLANS etc? Can IOS's be had
    anywhere else, or do they have to come from Cisco's site? Thanks a lot
    for the help.
    Dwayne, May 29, 2006
  6. Dwayne

    Dwayne Guest

    Oh yeah i almost forgot. I see that some of the routers/switches on
    Ebay say that they come preloaded with the IOS version of your choice.
    In that case what would I choose? Thanks
    Dwayne, May 29, 2006
  7. In article <>,
    Dwayne <> wrote:
    >Oh. I didnt realize that I wouldnt be able to update/upgrade the IOS on
    >a used device. I guess that includes both routers and switches then?

    The rules about CatOS used to be different, and I don't think they can
    change the rules retroactively on those prior releases. But IANAL
    and I did not study the CatOS licensing terms.

    >So
    >if I am looking for one on Ebay and there are a lot, I need to make
    >sure that in the descrip it says that it is refurbished??

    Or be prepared to pay the relicensing fee.

    bradreese.com has links to some of the authorized
    dealers in refurbished Cisco equipment. I think I saw the complete
    list once on cisco.com but it would take some digging now.

    >the part LL26C- thats the 2600 series and the c is what gives it the IP
    >feature set which is what would include VLANS etc?

    I think you might need IP Plus for VLANs, but it's a nuisance to
    check the feature naviagator at the moment. Look at
    http://www.cisco.com/go/fn

    >Can IOS's be had
    >anywhere else, or do they have to come from Cisco's site?

    You can buy the relicensing from a number of vendors, who will take
    your money and email address and have Cisco send you the digital license.

    Once you are relicensed, you can buy specific IOS versions from a
    number of vendors. If I recall correctly, you can buy platform-
    specific CDs that have all of the updates within the same minor release;
    e.g., the CD might have 12.3(1)T through 12.3(14)T4 for the 1600.
    Walter Roberson, May 29, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Dwayne <> wrote:
    >Oh yeah i almost forgot. I see that some of the routers/switches on
    >Ebay say that they come preloaded with the IOS version of your choice.
    >In that case what would I choose? Thanks

    "preloaded with the IOS version of your choice" is almost always
    code for "Does not come with a legal IOS release, and will
    not be supplied with a CD or other media format of IOS, but
    will contain whichever pirated IOS version you ask for."
    Walter Roberson, May 29, 2006
  9. Hi Carito,

    This is the current promotion of Fully Licensed and SMARTnet Eligible
    with Warranties Same As New - Cisco Authorized Factory Refurbished (
    List Pricing is for informational purposes only, call 877-549-2680 or
    828-277-7272 for discounted price quotes ).

    http://www.bradreese.com/refurbished-cisco-promotion.htm

    To see all 2,639 line items of Fully Licensed and SMARTnet Eligible
    with Warranties Same As New - Cisco Authorized Factory Refurbished ( be
    patient as it downloads ).

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

    To View Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embedded-software-licenses.htm

    You may also conveniently view all Cisco Equipment currently offered on
    eBay with this handy little guide:

    http://www.bradreese.com/ebay-cisco-repair.htm

    Furthermore, view Cisco Product Guides covering the last 8 years:

    http://www.bradreese.com/refurbished-cisco-product-guide.htm

    Hope this helps.

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Leverage Your Cisco Network
    http://www.BradReese.Com
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680