    Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.

    From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)

    On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Jul 16, 2009

  2. Max Burke

    Woger Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:06 +1200, Max Burke <>
    wrote:

    >How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    >Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    > From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >
    >On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    Due to load on the server..

    Woger, Jul 16, 2009

  3. On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:06 +1200, Max Burke
    <> wrote:

    >How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    >Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    > From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >
    >On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    Your ISP probably has good bandwidth to the USA, but not so good (or
    even none at all) to Australia. So your Australian traffic may well
    be going to the USA and then back to Australia. This is a common
    problem with NZ ISPs. Or it could be that the server in Australia is
    a small one compared to the USA one and it is just overloaded. Try
    running a traceroute (tracert on Windows) to both of the servers and
    compare the paths.

    Stephen Worthington, Jul 16, 2009
  4. Max Burke

    EMB Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    > How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    > Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    > Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    > Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    > From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    > Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    > second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41
    > seconds)
    >
    > On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    Your ISP may have the file cached on their proxy server. It is also
    possible that the US mirror is akamai hosted locally.

    EMB, Jul 16, 2009
  5. Max Burke

    Rhino Guest

    <> wrote:

    >How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    >Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    > From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >
    >On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    As Stephen remarked, a traceroute would help answer this question. It
    is possible that you may have been downloading off a proxy here in NZ.

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Jul 16, 2009
  6. Max Burke

    Mutlley Guest

    Rhino <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:06 +1200, Max Burke
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >>Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >>
    >>Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >>Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >>
    >> From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >>Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >>second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >>
    >>On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    >As Stephen remarked, a traceroute would help answer this question. It
    >is possible that you may have been downloading off a proxy here in NZ.
    >
    >Cheers, Rhino

    I'd like to know what every fracking update to Itunes is so bloated.
    I believe the latest one is designed to cripple Itunes ability to sync
    apps with certain new mobiles out there.. (non iphone)

    Mutlley, Jul 16, 2009
  7. Max Burke

    Enkidu Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:06 +1200, Max Burke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >> Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >>
    >> Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >> Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >>
    >> From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >> Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >> second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >>
    >> On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    > As Stephen remarked, a traceroute would help answer this question. It
    > is possible that you may have been downloading off a proxy here in NZ.

    A traceroute would show the latency, but would show nothing directly
    about the throughput, although if the latency is high, it is possible
    that the bandwidth is low because of queueing in some device or a low
    bandwidth device 'en route'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 16, 2009
  8. Max Burke

    victor Guest

    Mutlley wrote:
    > Rhino <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:50:06 +1200, Max Burke
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    >>> Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >>>
    >>> Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    >>> Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >>>
    >>> From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    >>> Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    >>> second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >>>
    >>> On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    >> As Stephen remarked, a traceroute would help answer this question. It
    >> is possible that you may have been downloading off a proxy here in NZ.
    >>
    >> Cheers, Rhino

    > I'd like to know what every fracking update to Itunes is so bloated.
    > I believe the latest one is designed to cripple Itunes ability to sync
    > apps with certain new mobiles out there.. (non iphone)

    If its just for iPod management might I suggest you take a look at Songbird

    http://getsongbird.com/

    victor, Jul 16, 2009
  9. Hi there,

    victor wrote:
    > Mutlley wrote:
    >> Rhino <> wrote:

    >>> As Stephen remarked, a traceroute would help answer this question. It
    >>> is possible that you may have been downloading off a proxy here in NZ.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers, Rhino

    >> I'd like to know what every fracking update to Itunes is so bloated.
    >> I believe the latest one is designed to cripple Itunes ability to sync
    >> apps with certain new mobiles out there.. (non iphone)

    > If its just for iPod management might I suggest you take a look at Songbird
    >
    > http://getsongbird.com/

    +1

    I use it for managing my collection, and checking to see which artists
    have gigs coming up in my area. Usually for playback I'll choose a much
    smaller lighter player, like good old XMMS. Since I haven't got an iPod
    (Creative Zen instead, their audio is cleaner) I cannot comment on iPod
    features.

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 17, 2009
  10. Max Burke

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-16, Max Burke <> wrote:
    > How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    > Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    > Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    > Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    > From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    > Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    > second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >
    > On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.

    Geographically close does not mean Internet close.

    Personally anything from Oz is off my download route unless there is no
    alternative.

    Gordon, Jul 17, 2009
  11. Max Burke

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-16, Mutlley <> wrote:

    > I'd like to know what every fracking update to Itunes is so bloated.

    Apple is Ms Windows brother. (hint history)

    > I believe the latest one is designed to cripple Itunes ability to sync
    > apps with certain new mobiles out there.. (non iphone)

    See above.

    Question, why are you still on that platform? Get off it and offer
    competition and freedom to yourself.

    Gordon, Jul 17, 2009
  12. Max Burke

    thingy Guest

    On Jul 16, 8:50 pm, Max Burke <> wrote:
    > How come downloading the latest iTunes update (74MB) from Major Geeks
    > Internode mirror in Australia I get the following 'performance:'
    >
    > Download peek speed 1 to 1.5 MBits per second, average speed 500-750
    > Kbits second, download time 15-30 minutes.
    >
    >  From Major Geeks mirrors in the USA I get the following performance:
    > Download peek speed 10-12 MBits per second, average speed 7.53 MBits per
    > second, download time 1-2 minutes. (actual download was 1 minute 41 seconds)
    >
    > On Paradise 10Mbit/2Mbit cable plan using Orbit download manager.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    > Found Imageshttp://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

    Well, there could be a whole bag of reasons, load on the remote
    server....saturation of the sea cable....routeing settings/policy by
    your ISP, router fault or overload...etc etc....I use something called
    smokeping to look at latency......

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Jul 18, 2009