    Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-
    machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of machines.
    Fokker, Sep 29, 2003

  2. > Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of

    http://quantum.fateback.com/article/buying_new_pc.htm

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm
    Bebop & Rocksteady, Sep 29, 2003

  3. Fokker

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Fokker <> wrote in

    > Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    > machine to get within my budget.

    Can I ask what your budget is?

    What things do you want? Do you want a bundled printer? Do yo uhave some
    equipment that you can use, eg a monitor?

    > I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-machine
    >, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of
    > machines.

    Personally, I wouldn't recomend either of those.

    I would have a look at somewhere like dabs or pcworld, and buy the one of
    the cheapest machines they have.

    Dabs online have an IBM Thinkcentre A30 8191 for £346(inc VAT, ex dely), no
    monitor and only 128 MB RAM, and only a 40 GB hard drive.

    Without knowing what you're going to be doing with your machine, and what
    your budget is it is a bit tricky to offer advice.
    Petit Alexi, Sep 29, 2003
  4. Fokker

    Fokker Guest

    "Bebop & Rocksteady" <> wrote in

    >> Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    >> machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an
    >> e- machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of
    >> machines.

    > http://quantum.fateback.com/article/buying_new_pc.htm

    Would anyone know if that the make of the machine i.e e-machine is any
    good.? Thank you.
    Fokker, Sep 29, 2003
  5. Fokker

    gangle Guest

    gangle, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Fokker

    Fokker Guest

    Petit Alexi <> wrote in

    Fokker, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Fokker

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Fokker <> wrote in news:Xns94052EBA1E398Fokkerfoknetcom@
    194.117.158.32:

    >>Do you know the address of any website that sell e-machines online in
    >>britain.

    No, I don't.

    Use UK Google(TM) and search for:

    +("e-machines" OR "emachines") +buy

    and select the UK radio button, you'll get a bunch of hits which might be
    useful.

    ISTR a well known UK supplier sells Emachines (to home users), but they
    started spamming, so they cannot be recommended.
    Petit Alexi, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Fokker

    Rob B Guest

    In my experiences.
    eMachines are bbaaaddd!!

    If you have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, then all you need is the
    machine itself. You can check out pricewatch.com (if your in the US) and
    buy a barebones system for aroudn $400. Look for PC-Windows when your at
    pricewatch.com
    http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m43.htm

    Rob B, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Fokker

    Stickems Guest

    gangle said
    > If you want a mass-produced computer with decent quality
    > components and good customer service, get a DELL.

    I tried to buy a Dell PC on their Internet site. I ordered it and paid for
    it. Two weeks went buy, nothing heard. Phoned 3 times, they promised to call
    me back. They didn't. Sent four emails. No replies. So, I thought if that's
    what they were like pre delivery, what will they be like post delivery. I
    cancelled my order.
    Stickems, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Go to Tigerdirect.com and get the cheapest you can find. Good enough for
    you.

    --
    "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    > Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    > machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-
    > machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of machines.

    ---
    BananaPannaPoe-, Sep 29, 2003
  11. Fokker

    Bryan Guest

    "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    > Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    > machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-
    > machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of
    > machines.

    Warning!
    Stay away from Tiny!!!
    Bryan, Sep 29, 2003
  12. Fokker

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Bryan said:

    > "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    >> Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    >> machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-
    >> machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of
    >> machines.

    > Warning!
    > Stay away from Tiny!!!

    Are they still in business?
    Brian H¹©, Sep 29, 2003
  13. Fokker

    Bryan Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Bryan said:
    >
    >> "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    >>> machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an
    >>> e- machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of
    >>> machines.

    >> Warning!
    >> Stay away from Tiny!!!

    > Are they still in business?

    <shrug>
    Who cares?
    :)
    Bryan, Sep 29, 2003
  14. get a dell,
    you can buy new or refurbished. Dell has a great warrenty. there support is
    just as good as cisco.
    and you can always find specials and coupons for getting 10% off and free
    shipping...

    Robert Larson, Sep 29, 2003
  15. What is your budget?

    Govinda Sharma, Sep 29, 2003
  16. Fokker

    Bryan Guest

    "Robert Larson" <> wrote in message
    > get a dell,
    > you can buy new or refurbished. Dell has a great warrenty. there
    > support is just as good as cisco.
    > and you can always find specials and coupons for getting 10% off and
    > free shipping...

    Thank-you!
    :)

    Bryan, Sep 30, 2003
  17. Fokker

    Steve Guest

    Don't know about Tiny, But e-machines support really sucks. I've recently
    spent the best part of a day hunting down the drivers to make one work
    (motherboard was basically intel, customised by cognac, bios - phoenix,
    chipset customised by some other company etc. and each company referred me
    to one of the other companies for support - I finally found the necessary
    drivers at Driverguide.com. It would have been a hell of a lot easier if
    e-machines had just left the board as a standard intel board, but then they
    wouldn't have had their logo covering up the system information during boot
    up).
    Whatever machine you do get, make sure that you have all the driver and
    opperating system disks. Make copies of them and tape them inside your
    computer to ensure they never get lost (ok it might be a breach of
    copyright, but when you can't get support... )

    "Govinda Sharma" <> wrote in message
    > What is your budget?
    > "Rob B" <> wrote in message
    > > In my experiences.
    > > eMachines are bbaaaddd!!
    > >
    > > If you have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, then all you need is

    > the
    > > machine itself. You can check out pricewatch.com (if your in the US)

    and
    > > buy a barebones system for aroudn $400. Look for PC-Windows when your

    at
    > > pricewatch.com
    > > http://www.pricewatch.com/menus/m43.htm
    > >
    > > "Fokker" <> wrote in message
    > > > Ive been wanting to buy a new pc but not sure whats the best kind of
    > > > machine to get within my budget. I have seen offers on a tiny or an e-
    > > > machine, and was wondering what was the better of the 2 makes of

    > machines.

    ---
    Steve, Sep 30, 2003
  18. Fokker

    Petit Alexi Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in

    > Whatever machine you do get, make sure that you have all the driver
    > and opperating system disks. Make copies of them and tape them inside
    > your computer to ensure they never get lost (ok it might be a breach
    > of copyright, but when you can't get support... )

    Thanks for the tip, that's a good idea; burning all the drivers to a cdr
    (maybe using WinRAR and Parchive to prevent bit-rot).

    Finding drivers is easier if the device has an FCC ID, because a person can
    use the fcc search page to find the manufacturer, and then use Google to
    get a website. Bit tricky if the company has changed name or gone bust
    though.

    <http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/>
    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  19. tiny have gone bust and been taken over by time, which was and still is
    incredibly bad

    try local computer shops, as they will often build computers to yhour own
    specification, so you can get exactly what you want. their prices are often
    very competitive as well

    if you feel adventurous, you could also build your own and save loads of
    money

    Gareth Howells, Sep 30, 2003